UFC News and Discussion Thread

Hendricks versus Woodley is off because Johny's having weight cutting issues. This is like the second or third time in 4 fights he's had problems cutting weight. Could quite possibly be forced to move up.

That was the fight I was looking forward to the most, too :( 

DC put on a show which I did not expect all that much. He has a hell of a clinch gameplan and it seems to work very well for him. Gustaffson hit some heavy shots but he spent way to much of the fight running away.

He kind of had to run away though, like you said DC has one hell of a clinch. Gustafsson couldn't stand in front of him and couldn't allow himself to be backed into the cage, so he had to keep rotating and because DC was walking him down needed to run to make sure he stayed out of range. 

He kind of had to run away though, like you said DC has one hell of a clinch. Gustafsson couldn't stand in front of him and couldn't allow himself to be backed into the cage, so he had to keep rotating and because DC was walking him down needed to run to make sure he stayed out of range. 

It was more the turning his back on DC that got me. I mean there's a difference between circling away from your opponent and straight up turning your back on your opponent and sprinting away. DC has the added benefit of being durable so he can walk through a lot of shots which cancelled out Gus's chances of using his range because DC would just walk through his offence.

Judges score for forward pressure, no matter the reason the other guy is sprinting away. Gus would get sucked in DC's clinch and not be able to get away unless he ducked down and out, then ran away. It's not like he wasn't engaging or running from the fight, IMO. 

Still think DC deserves the nod, but Gus really is fun to watch. Still only 28 years old, but he's in the wrong LHW generation with Jones and DC around. Would like to see a rematch between Gus and Rumble or Gus versus Glover would be fun.

Judges score for forward pressure, no matter the reason the other guy is sprinting away. Gus would get sucked in DC's clinch and not be able to get away unless he ducked down and out, then ran away. It's not like he wasn't engaging or running from the fight, IMO. 

Still think DC deserves the nod, but Gus really is fun to watch. Still only 28 years old, but he's in the wrong LHW generation with Jones and DC around. Would like to see a rematch between Gus and Rumble or Gus versus Glover would be fun.

I was cheering for Gus the entire time and I agree that he was engaging. He just wasn't able to execute because of the pressure DC put on him. I'm not sure who's going to actually be able to beat this DC outside of Jones maybe.

No one, I think. The division is probably the thinnest weight class in the UFC, except maybe women's bantamweight.  

Have you seen the heavyweight division? :P

I think right now it's quite competitive by comparison. The heavyweight division is full of guys that can be classified as contenders right now. Werdum, Cain, JDS, Miocic, Arlovski, Rothwell, Browne, you could potentially throw Hunt and Overeem in there as well. The light heavyweight division, on the other hand, has Cormier, Jones, Rumble, Gus and Bader. The next guy is Rashad Evans.

Like, it's still slim pickings, but at least it isn't a division full of guys beaten by the best fighter in the world already. 

It was more the turning his back on DC that got me. I mean there's a difference between circling away from your opponent and straight up turning your back on your opponent and sprinting away. DC has the added benefit of being durable so he can walk through a lot of shots which cancelled out Gus's chances of using his range because DC would just walk through his offence.

Just circling would have still allowed DC to walk him down and close the distance, the only takedown DC landed was from a position with Gus' back on the fence. His creating distance by turning away was an adjustment to stop that happening again.

• 3 weeks later...