UFC News and Discussion Thread

It's hilarious watching the FOX crew try to spin the Sanchez/Pearson decision instead of admitting it was bullshit.. "Well, ya know, Sanchez had more output and Ross won but he should've been more aggressive cuz it's New Mexico." Total bullshit. Why should Pearson play into Sanchez's strength? He game planned and won the fight. Sanchez was a sloppy mess that didn't connect with 80% of his "shots". I would cut Sanchez outright after that performance, even despite the screwjob victory. Bisping was the only one who came out and admitted it was robbery.

'Sanchez has over 160 friends and family in attendance tonight'.

Yeah, and two of them were judging it. :shifty:

Round 2 was about as solid a 10-9 as you'll ever see, Pearson scored consistently, dropped him with a punch, scored a brief takedown and not a single shot of Sanchez's flurry at the end got past Pearson's defences.

Some general musings-

-It turns out Bryan Caraway is still a cheating bastard. https://vine.co/v/MDteEq6pMhF Shows him fishhooking Perez.

-Sergio Pettis doesn't seem ready for the UFC, he's looked average at best in all three of his fights.

-Jason High could be in trouble for pushing the referee post fight, bit of a daft move. Incidentally, did some of RDA's strikes go to the back of the head?

Also, is there grounds for appeal based on the Pearson/Sanchez decision, because it honestly was a travesty?

We've seen some horrible judging before but NEVER as bad as that. Everyone suspecting judges were paid off for that fight are allowed to think that for maybe the first time in UFC history.

I think it might be Diego that pays them off.

Since his title fight loss to BJ Penn.

Lost - John Hathaway - UD

Win - Paulo Thiago - UD

Win - Martin Kampmann - UD (Robbery)

Lost - Jake Ellenberger - UD

Win - Takanori Gomi - SD (Robbery)

Lost - Gilbert Melendez - UD

Lost - Myles Jury - UD

Win - Ross Pearson - SD (Robbery)

He's 4-4 since then when really he should be 1-7 and not even '1-7 and a couple might have gone his way or were close', he's been completely outclassed in every fight bar Thiago.

Oh man the Kampmann and Gomi decisions. I forgot how fucking terrible they were. Haven't watched the show yet, though, can't comment on this one.

But I've never really been a Diego Sanchez fan, he's always come off as a bit of an idiot.

It was sickening watching him celebrate his "win" too. I mean, granted it's the judges fault not his, but come on now. I hope Dana pays Ross his win bonus at least. It's the right thing to do.

He still believed he won the fight at the press conference, said he hurt Pearson repeatedly with power shots.

I'm actually a fan of Sanchez, he was the first fighter to catch my eye on TUF 1 because he was a mad bastard but he's not improved since the Penn fight, if anything he's regressed and not just due to age.

The 30-27 score was just ridiculous, that second round could not have gone to Sanchez in any way, shape or form.

I wasn't a big fan of John Mouraga's corner pleading with the doctors that his nose wasn't broken and it was just a cut. I know you want your guy to stay in the fight but everyone could see his nose was completely fucked and wanting to throw him out there with that was just asking for things to get worse.

From MMA junkie-

Dean Amasinger today said he expressed concerns about the New Mexico Athletic Commission prior to a controversial split decision in a UFC Fight Night 42 co-headliner between his teammate Ross Pearson and Diego Sanchez.

Amasinger, who immediately after the bout filed an appeal of its result, claimed that drug tests were not performed on fighters from New Mexico or the famed Greg Jackson-Mike Winkeljohn camp in Albuquerque, N.M., where the card took place, and informed the UFC.

“Ross was drug tested before the fight, which is perfectly normal,” he told MMAjunkie. “That’s absolutely fine, and all this stuff is supposed to be random. But when Ross came back from the drug test, he said to me, ‘I’ve seen the list; none of the Jackson guys are on the drug test list, or the New Mexican guys who are fighting on the card.’ And so I went and checked and that was the case.

“I made a note to (UFC site coordinator) Burt Watson and I said, ‘I want to let you know that I’m feeling uncomfortable about that.’”

MMAjunkie wasn’t immediately able to verify the participants drug tested at UFC Fight Night 42, which took place at Tingely Coliseum in Albuquerque. A call to the commission wasn’t immediately returned; an open records request is pending.

Amasinger questioned why New Mexico was ordering tests on individuals as opposed to pairs in scheduled bouts. However, it’s not uncommon to see fighters tested at random on a certain card, though testing protocols vary from state to state. Participants in title bouts are almost universally tested.

Amasinger noted that part of his appeal request with the commission is to check whether there are any conflicts of interest or potential corruption that could have led to the decision, in which Sanchez won the fight on two of three scorecards.

“With [sanchez] being from New Mexico and specifically Albuquerque, there’s obvious connections there and obvious potential conflicts of interest,” Amasinger said. “They don’t have a lot of experience with bigger shows, and I think that’s another factor that’s played into this happening.”

The Pearson rep added he wants to see the official scorecards from the fight, which aired live on FOX Sports 1. One judge gave inaugural “Ultimate Fighter” winner Sanchez all three rounds, while another gave him two of three rounds. A third judge, meanwhile, awarded Pearson all three rounds, which reflected nearly all of the tallies given by the MMA media.

“The ideal scenario would be the decision overturned, and I still have my fingers crossed that it was potentially a mistake, particularly the 30-27 [score],” Amasinger said. “I just can’t see how that was scored. The ideal situation is an overturned decision. The next down from that is a no-contest, I suppose, and we get a rematch.”

As of yet, the Pearson camp has yet to hear from the UFC regarding the decision, according to Amasinger. UFC President Dana White was in Maine for a family function and did not attend the fight, and the team was not immediately able to contact matchmaker Joe Silva, though Amasinger said he’s reached out to the executive via email while Pearson’s management has tried White.

In several cases where the promotion disagreed with an official call, fighters have been awarded the “win” portion of their fight purse. That is not yet the case with Pearson, said Amasinger.

“We hope that’s going to be the case, because half of your wage is a pretty serious difference when there’s a mistake involved,” he said. “With the reaction everyone’s had, I think it’s possibly one of the worst decisions in UFC history.”

Cue conspiracy theorists.

I certainly think it's a hometown decision, and the drug testing schedule is interesting (the odds of a random draw missing every Jackson fighter and anyone from NM are astronomical), but I think Pearson and his team need to be a bit circumspect about what happened. Their dreams of getting the result overturned are ludicrous unless the scorecard was wrong, he probably would (and will eventually) have got his win bonus if Dana had been in attendance, he can try and get a re-match but he should leave it at that.

The best thing anyone can do is to make sure that the judge who scored it 30-27 to Sanchez, Jeff Collins, is not allowed to judge an MMA fight until he's given a complete re-training.

I certainly think it's a hometown decision, and the drug testing schedule is interesting (the odds of a random draw missing every Jackson fighter and anyone from NM are astronomical), but I think Pearson and his team need to be a bit circumspect about what happened. Their dreams of getting the result overturned are ludicrous unless the scorecard was wrong, he probably would (and will eventually) have got his win bonus if Dana had been in attendance, he can try and get a re-match but he should leave it at that.

The best thing anyone can do is to make sure that the judge who scored it 30-27 to Sanchez, Jeff Collins, is not allowed to judge an MMA fight until he's given a complete re-training.

Collins should have his salary slashed and payed to Ross Pearson as a win bonus. That will never, ever happen, but that would be justice.

Man, seeing the fight when you know Diego's gonna get the nod and it still looks ludicrous. Second round was all Pearson, heck, I'd say round three too.

Seeing Sanchez when the decision was being read out really pissed me off. He just annoys me so much.

It is a problem that needs to be addressed, I'm fairly certain the Superbowl wouldn't be officiated by anyone from the same state as either of the teams, just like football refs have to be from a neutral area.