UFC News and Discussion Thread

Keith Jardine has been cut which isn't really suprising but god damn i hope he kicks some ass in a few fights than is right back in the UFC :crying:

I'm not sure anyone actually expects Leben to win, though I'd love for him to pull it off. It's more that Leben is going to go in and put on a show and he's going to swing for the fences like he always does. He's also developed quite an under-rated ground game which could help him. Akiyama may be prepared but I wouldn't say that Leben can't surprise him. Leben has shown the ability to surprise just about anyone outside of Silva.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Leben/Akiyama is actually a great way of UFC making the best of a bad situation. Whoever wins will be seen as a top dog because they won the second-biggest match on a Lesnar card. If Leben wins, he has the entertaining style and prior name value to maybe be back at co-headliner status for a while. If Akiyama wins, he could be a big draw for UFC in Japan.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Vuvuzelas are banned at UFC 116. I hope somebody shows up with an oboe.

Also Rampage might be fighting Little Nog in September, which should be an exciting fight but probably not a headliner?

Yeah, with him coming off the Rashad loss I can't see him main eventing it, but can definitely see him in the co-main event.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Actually it might have to be a main. People who'd be able to headline above Rampage/Nog:

-Penn, fighting Edgar in August

-GSP, fighting Koscheck after TUF

-Silva, fighting Sonnen in August

-Rua, doubt he'll be healthy in time

-Evans, doubt Rua will be healthy in time

-Lesnar, fighting Carwin in July

-Couture, fighting Toney in August

-Velasquez, fighting Carwin/Lesnar winner

The only matches that would remotely make sense, and I'm not sure how any of these guys are for September, are Mir/Big Nog II, something like Griffin/Machida, or something like Belfort/Shields to crown a new 185 champ if Silva moves up. But Rampage is a bigger draw than any of that IMO.