UFC News and Discussion Thread

Fan 590 in Toronto reporting UFC has scheduled a press conference in the city for a "major announcement". Since I'm assuming they haven't already won the battle to legalize MMA in the province, maybe it's just that they're setting up shop in Toronto and actively fighting for sanctioning?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Fan 590 in Toronto reporting UFC has scheduled a press conference in the city for a "major announcement". Since I'm assuming they haven't already won the battle to legalize MMA in the province, maybe it's just that they're setting up shop in Toronto and actively fighting for sanctioning?

Is that really a major announcement though? With GSP being on Parliament hill last week (and obviously Ratner and others), maybe they got the Criminal Code amended? Or does that have to go through Parliament, in which case there'd have surely been a leak by now?

Speaking of last week, Macleans' had a decent paragraph of the celebrity factor of GSP being around politcians:

Ultimate Fighting champion hits the Hill

MPs from all parties joined a long lineup on the Hill to pay homage to Ultimate Fighting Championship champ and Quebec native Georges St-Pierre. Among those in line were Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe, who got an autograph for his grandson, and Liberal MP Justin Trudeau, who said he used to train in the same boxing gym as St-Pierre. MP Glenn Thibeault is a big UFC fan and also the NDP’s sports critic. Ironically, he has requested a royal commission to examine violence in sports. But the MP stresses that the difference between the UFC and, say, hockey, is that the premise of the UFC is “structured” fighting as opposed to what he calls “gratuitous” violence. St-Pierre was invited to the Hill by Heritage Minister James Moore, who calls the UFC champ “a great Canadian.” (Moore owns the UFC video game and plans to get the new edition when it hits stores.) The minister hopes that Ontario will follow the lead of British Columbia, Quebec, Alberta and other provinces where the fights are allowed. Moore had hoped to have St-Pierre recognized by Speaker Peter Milliken after question period, but then found out that also sitting in the Speaker’s gallery that day was Bogdan Borusewicz, Poland’s speaker of the Senate, and Vice-Admiral Dean McFadden, head of the Canadian navy, who was there to commemorate the centennial of the Canadian navy. Moore decided not to ask the Speaker to recognize St-Pierre so as not to upstage the other dignitaries present. That message apparently didn’t get through to some Tories who were visibly disappointed when St-Pierre wasn’t recognized. Treasury Board president and UFC fan Stockwell Day, for one, looked upset and let out a loud “aw.’” Transport Minister John Baird shouted out to St-Pierre: “I would have recognized you."

And for good measure, a picture of Peter Milliken holding a UFC shirt and generally looking senile:

100513_cap_wide2.jpg

Guest Mr. Potato Head

MMAJunkie reports that Mitrione's first fight since beating Kimbo will be against Joey Beltran at UFC 119 (Sep. 25 in Indianapolis).

I hope Rampage knocks Evans the fuck out.

Amen. Though I think it'll end up being a wrestling showcase from Evans, 'cause Rampage ain't that great off his back. But hey, we can always keep our fingers crossed and hope Evans gets clipped with a fucking bomb early on and get his lights shut.

Should be a fantastic show. Rampage, Evans, Bisping, Minotouro, Sanchez, ... Not a bad line-up at all.

Edited by Shelty92

if it stays standing up for a long period: Rampage. Rashad can't try to stand up for too long needs to take it down and grind a win. Rampage isn't that bad on the ground though but i've got a feeling emotions might play into Rashads hands.

Great card the Diego fights got FOTN written all over it i can see it being a war. Brilz i think may get overlooked but still expect Lil Nog to dominate really. Also i've got Bisping winning he's got better standup, underrated takedowns, good ground and pound and is quite good with defensive jiu jitsu in getting back to his feet. I think Miller gettin beaten up standing up against Maia doesnt bold too well for him

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Todd Duffee is supremely overrated. He's a solid fighter and a good prospect, but if you win a fight in seven seconds, that's not skill so much as a lucky shot.