UFC News and Discussion Thread

-UFC is likely to absorb WEC's 155lb division once WEC adds on another lower weight division. If you recall, not too long ago WEC talked of adding a 125lb division. (via Dana)

-Kongo has signed a new, six fight, deal with the UFC.

-Chris Lytle/Matt Brown rematch is tentatively set for July 3 @ UFC 116.

When I talked to WEC president Reed Harris he said that until they have dealt with all the current contracts in the division they haven't really got the space to give enough exposure for the 125 guys yet on their current deals, adding a division unless you can get current stars to move down a weight class in to it means that they aren't going to draw tv numbers (which despite the move in to PPV still havs to be WEC's main aim and goals), and if UFC does absorb the 155ers in, why not absorb the whole WEC and start a PRIDE Bushido like movement where you have programming under the UFC name but with the 155 divison and below? The 155 dvision would lend exposure to the lower weight classes and the people who only watch UFC events would be more likely to watch it with the name attached rather than it being WEC. It pains me to say it as I love the WEC, but if all the wieght divisions are getting absorbed in to the UFC, why not go the whole hog and adjust your aims. You can have Reed Harris and Sean Shelby working with the 155s and below and Joe Silva on the 170s and above and then have Dana White as the front man for it all, having the lower weight classes in the UFC and having a TUF available to them for example would be great exposure for a division, like having Faber and Brown as coaches :)

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18817/when-wec-adds-lighter-classes-lightweights-likely-headed-to-ufc.mma

I was just referencing what Dana said in the conference call yesterday:

"As we start to add more weight divisions to the WEC – when we start adding lighter weight divisions – that [155] pound division would probably make sense just to put it into the UFC," White said.

ALSO, Silva's comments regarding Dana's threat:

“He is the president of the event and can say and do whatever he wants,” he said, “but in our sport, only eye gouging, stomps on the opponent and elbows the back of the head are prohibited.”

“Actually, I did my job,” the UFC middleweight champion said. “Demian is a great fighter and deserves all my respect. I’m also able to fight on the ground, but my jiu-jitsu ability is not even close to his, so I played my game.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Silva-Responds-to-Whites-Threat-on-Brazilian-TV-24014

http://tvglobo.domingaodofaustao.globo.com/programa/2010/04/anderson-silva-e-demian-maia-no-domingao/

I wasn't disagreeing or anything, but I was saying what I had heard directly from the horses mouth huh.gif

You speak horse? shifty.gif

And I agree with Silva there, I respect the fact that he had an strategy against Maia and he stuck to it and it payed off. But what I argue is that it wasn't that Silva was scared of Maia's Jiu-Jitsu or anything like that what made me (and many fans) angry at him, but the fact that Silva didn't even try to end the fight.

As for WEC, adding the 155lbs. division to UFC seems the more likely move for them rather than unify both promotions.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Although not unifying the promotions is dumb. When UFC is virtually synonymous with MMA in the minds of the casual fan, and the best possible PPV lineup WEC can put on is budgeted so that making one-quarter of the absolute lowest numbers UFC gets is considered a success...why not fold all the WEC fighters into the UFC hype machine? What could they possibly have to gain from keeping WEC separate?

Although not unifying the promotions is dumb. When UFC is virtually synonymous with MMA in the minds of the casual fan, and the best possible PPV lineup WEC can put on is budgeted so that making one-quarter of the absolute lowest numbers UFC gets is considered a success...why not fold all the WEC fighters into the UFC hype machine? What could they possibly have to gain from keeping WEC separate?

I am more and more moving to that way of thinking, its almost as if Zuffa are punishing those that are in a lower weight class...

I wasn't disagreeing or anything, but I was saying what I had heard directly from the horses mouth :huh:

I didn't think you were, that's what I like about discussing MMA with you - you actually add valuable information. I was just doing the same; following up what I originally said with the full source so it could be compared to your information and source (which was you in this case).

I wasn't disagreeing or anything, but I was saying what I had heard directly from the horses mouth :huh:

I didn't think you were, that's what I like about discussing MMA with you - you actually add valuable information. I was just doing the same; following up what I originally said with the full source so it could be compared to your information and source (which was you in this case).

Ah, good, I thought it might be that but I wasn't actually sure. I know Dana has the overiding say (well the Ferrtitas, but Dana might as well be the third brother) but I wouldn't imagine they would move the 155ers unless they thought that it wouldn't ruin the WEC brand, it'd be biting off the nose to spite their face at the end fo the day

What you work at Rich?

I don't I just talk to MMA people evrynow and then via the means of calling in to radio stations.

I have also talked to Anthony Njoukouani, whose a very nice guy, and the MMA/Jiu Jitsu/TUF coach Marc Laimon.

I had the chance to call in when Dana was on once but the lines were busy, obviously <_<

Dana mentioned that the original WEC broadcast team will be used for Versus events and the UFC team for the PPV's (if they continue after this one) Personally i think a merger is better for the WEC just in general of pay, exposure etc.

Just a little thought that maybe the WEC could go back to it's old routes and possibly be like a farm league for the UFC? Instead of firing guys that are losing maybe send them to WEC for a bit until they are ready to move back into the UFC. Have the current division merge into the UFC and then just have WEC as a way so the UFC doesn't cut fighters. This would have been good for fighters like Jake Rosholt

good point actually thinking about it. What about exposure of some WEC fighters on UFC PPV's or Fight Nights? You could have it as a WEC showcase fight or something like that help promote the brand

good point actually thinking about it. What about exposure of some WEC fighters on UFC PPV's or Fight Nights? You could have it as a WEC showcase fight or something like that help promote the brand

They already do advertisement, and if you are going to showcase the fight on UFC programming, will people pay enough attention to realise that its not just another UFC fight? And if you are going to show it on UFC programming why not merge the companies right there and then?

Funny that you mention that idea because it has come up numerous times since WEC was purchased by Zuffa. Over the last year it has been a constant "why not just start by doing this" question and no one has ever seemingly got an answer out of anyone in the position to actually give an answer.

It would be a GREAT way to start building the WEC fighters and brand up to another level. I can understand why they are hesitant to bring in the other divisions right away and merge everything due to the financial situations it would put everyone in. It would cost a ton of money to renegotiate and re-sign all of those contracts. A lot of fighters would seemingly get their walking papers in that situation as well. However, the small steps such as putting, say, a Mike Thomas Brown fight or Ben Henderson fight on a Fight Night would be great. Once again though, I'm not sure that their contracts are set up to allow that to happen.

The full merger, other than the contract and money issue (which would be a huge burden), would probably also dilute the market a bit. The UFC already puts on so many shows a year that some people complain the cards are getting watered down. If UFC were to take in the WEC then the number of cards would have to increase in order to fit everyone in and still build new fighters into names. You would have less time on each card to build contenders and future fights within the divisions as well. Think about it, if you increased the UFC's current five divisions to eight divisions then you wouldn't even be able to get a single fight from each division on television, much less two or more. You might see UFC: xxx with two Light Heavyweight fights and then not see anything from that weight class for another two months.

It's a small chance and with prelims airing fighters would get plugged in, but it would take a lot more work and rearranging to make it happen.

The full merger, other than the contract and money issue (which would be a huge burden), would probably also dilute the market a bit. The UFC already puts on so many shows a year that some people complain the cards are getting watered down. If UFC were to take in the WEC then the number of cards would have to increase in order to fit everyone in and still build new fighters into names. You would have less time on each card to build contenders and future fights within the divisions as well. Think about it, if you increased the UFC's current five divisions to eight divisions then you wouldn't even be able to get a single fight from each division on television, much less two or more. You might see UFC: xxx with two Light Heavyweight fights and then not see anything from that weight class for another two months.

That would be my main worry, but you would in lieklihood see more Versus cards as Zuffa has that contract to fulfil, and if it was the case of too many fighters, etc... why not have more tv cards if they are affordable, it builds up your guys from TUF, and a tv card every 4/5 weeks can be used to hype PPVs through advertising and associated video packages.

I don't want them to merge personally and rather than 155ers being absorbed in to the UFC I would prefer if they were absorbed in to the WEC, but that is never going to happen and is merely just me thnking 3 great divisions for the WEC leaving the 4 heavier weight classes for the UFC :/

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I see the gain in showcasing "WEC special fights" on UFC cards, but you're ignoring the losses. UFC promotes itself as the best fighters in the world, and if they're showcasing fights from another organization, even if its their sister promotion, that implies that UFC is not the best in the world. Any fights on a Fight Night or Versus card would have to be under the UFC banner to prevent that...and if that's the case, why not go all the way? Can anybody reasonably argue that Urijah Faber would not have made more money with a UFC hype machine behind him than he did with a WEC hype machine?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Rumour has Couture/Toney at UFC 118 in August. Odd for two reasons, as "UFC doesn't do freak shows" and "Randy Couture is still a top-level fighter".

A slightly more interesting match being talked about is Stevenson/Gomi for UFC on Versus 2.

Will Dropping The Logo Hurt brand Identification?: "No," White said flatly. "You leave that up to me. I'll fix that; trust me. I like to think that I know what I'm doing, and we'll see how this thing goes on Saturday. The timing is right for me. Emotionally and mentally for me right now, this fight is really good for me. We'll find out if the timing is right for people as far as pay-per-view goes."

A quote from Dana White from 411, but what does he mean by that?