UFC News and Discussion Thread

I was going reply directly to GF's post, mainly the cage part, but I somehow strayed off... Still, I might as well post this now that I've typed it all up.

The only thing I don't like about UFC being synonymous with MMA, is the the cage. I've been watching for so long now that I don't even notice the cage, but its such a gimmicky, unnecessary thing (besides the fact its such a gi-normous part of their identity) when you think about it. It's the only part of the original UFC that is still around today. The ring is such a better environment for MMA. The cage would be cool if you are discovering UFC for the first time and you think UFC is all about bar room brawls in a enclosed setting, plus, it gives it an immediate distinction from boxing or wrestling. But when it comes to thinking of MMA as a sport over a spectacle, the ring is the way to go. It just represents legitimacy.

It maybe just me, but one of the factors I felt Pride events had more of a big fight atmosphere than UFC was due to the fact it took place in a ring and not a silly wire fence cage.

As for the sudden mass injection of Pride's best into the UFC; As long as the in ring competition is top notch, I'll stay satisfied, even if they are plenty of things the UFC is doing that I don't take kindly to. I mean, I can complain until I'm blue in the face that making Pride, a place that many fighters and fans conisdered THE standard for MMA, a 'B' promotion, taking away its best fighters and putting them in an environment they aren't used to, and in some cases, less suited for, or else they'll labelled 'B' competition, after it made clear the plan was to run Pride as it was, a separate, rival company, give it new life and keeping it's fighters untouched, only to end up doing the exact opposite, is extremely gay...

...But how can I justly complain when they are going to give me the fights that I have want to see that couldn't have happened pre-purchase? I know the lack of Pride being level competition will make the chances of any more interpromotional dream matches like the ones I imagine slim to none in the future, but it's hard to argue when we could see Silva vs. Liddell, Fedor vs. Randy, Gomi vs. Penn II, Melendez vs. Franca, Aoki vs. GSP, Shogun vs. Ortiz, Franklin vs. Kang, Kharitonov vs. Arlovski, the list could go on for a while... I think about those fights makes it hard to complain, even if something doesn't sit right underneath it all.

The cage would be cool if you are discovering UFC for the first time and you think UFC is all about bar room brawls in a enclosed setting, plus, it gives it an immediate distinction from boxing or wrestling. But when it comes to thinking of MMA as a sport over a spectacle, the ring is the way to go. It just represents legitimacy.

The cage would be cool if you are discovering UFC for the first time and you think UFC is all about bar room brawls in a enclosed setting, plus, it gives it an immediate distinction from boxing or wrestling. But when it comes to thinking of MMA as a sport over a spectacle, the ring is the way to go. It just represents legitimacy.

I disagree.

I'm with Biggzy. I much, much, prefer fights in the cage, than fights in the ring.

I agree with that, I'm torn. As for the cage, I've never liked it. I hate how it's become the "fourth man" in the fight. I hate how fighters use it to pin their opponents. That's one thing I loved about PRIDE. Get too close to the edge, and you get moved to the center. This way you're really testing the skills of the fighters in an open environment without the use of any sort of aid.

This is what I mean by adjusting the fighting style. For some reason, and I've noticed this in UFC moreso in PRIDE, and that's the "cornerning" going on while both fighters are standing up. Yeah Cro Cop does it, but with the cage, there's that added element that you don't want to be cornered because it can be used to pin you. There is not that fear in PRIDE. I guess it's the little things that the PRIDE fighters will have to get used to. That and the nerves of competing in the UFC. Jackson didn't look his best when he took on Eastman a few months back.

All in all, I love rambling.

I disagree.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I can't wait for Henderson to go against Rampage. His fight with Wanderlei was off the hook, and shocked the hell out of me when he knocked him out. Here is to hoping though that Rampage can mow down another victim in Hendo. Also, I don't know if anyone has said it yet, but Liddell is scheduled to fight Wanderlei when he comes back since both men now don't seem as "unstoppable" as before.

• 3 weeks later...

After his fight, Griffin was apologetic for it being boring. It wasn't though, he just used intelligence to fight, moving in and out with low kicks and punches and really preventing his opponent from doing anything.

The Franklin fight was poop. Franklin won the first two rounds by moving forward and landing one or two kicks and one or two jabs. He was almost submitted in the final round, but got out and won. He didn't look like an improved fighter.

Just watched Guida and Griffin, and it's my favorite fight in since Couture/Sylvia.

I had it 29-28 for Guida, but I can't argue against Griffin getting the duke either... so I wasn't too disappointed. Awesome fight though, and I can't wait to see more of both men.

• 1 month later...

Firstly, I picked up UFC PPV 40 and 41 for £6 each from a second hand shop I go into......I was just wondering if they were any good? No spoilers.

And secondly, of the last 3 PPV's they have available on DVD, which ones (if any) are worth checking out?

Yeah, according to FightDVD.co.uk they do, or at least they'll be released soon.

I won't be buying them for a small while, so it doesn't matter if I have to wait a little.

Just checking out the Prelims on Vendetta, the Weir vs Miller fight was suprisingly good.

EDIT: So was the Matyushenko vs Wiuff.....more for Matyushenko's dominance throughout, mostly.

Edited by Liam Byrne

• 5 months later...

Main Card Bouts:

-Joe Stevenson vs. BJ Penn

-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum

-Marcus Davis vs. Jess Liaudin

-Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia

-Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera

Preliminary Bouts:

-Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee

-Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund

-Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor

-Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk

Prelim results (stolen from MMANews.com)

Fight #1:

-Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund

Round 1: Pretty boring first round. Eklund looked for takedowns, but Stout wasn't having it as he defended them all and took Eklund down at one point himself. Stout landed some elbows from the top, and should easily have the round 10-9.

Round 2: Second round looks similar to the first. Stout is defending takedowns and gets Eklund down and top position himself again. Eklund worked for an armbar from the bottom but Stout got out and stood back up. As the round ended, we got our first chorus of boo's from the UK fans. 10-9 Stout.

Round 3: Stout defending takedowns and landing accurate punches on the feet in the third. He continued to display great takedown defense, but didn't do much to excite anyone with his performance. He should have it 30-27 across the board.

Sam Stout def. Per Eklund via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-27) after 3 Rounds.

Fight #2:

-Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee

Round 1: Lee with a takedown attempt early in the first. He bulls Sakara against the cage and gets him down. Sakara stands back up however. Repeat - Lee takes Sakara down again and Sakara gets up immediately again. During another takedown attempt, Sakara starts blasting away at Lee and punches until the referee stops the action. Lee is claiming he's injured. Either way, Sakara wins.

Alessio Sakara def. James Lee via TKO (strikes) at 1:30 of Round 1.

Fight #3:

-Paul Taylor vs. Paul Kelly

Round 1: Taylor pulls guard early looking to secure a guillotine choke but Kelly eventually escaped. Taylor is elbowing from the bottom on the ground and looking for another guillotine. Kelly defends well and is controling position and action in round one. Should be 10-9 Kelly in the first.

Round 2: Taylor with a quick takedown in the second. Taylor takes Kelly's back and is looking for the rear naked choke. Kelly escapes and is now on top and throwing down punches. Taylor is staying active on the bottom, working short elbows and arm punches. Taylor tries a kimura but doesn't finish the job. Tough round to call, we'll go 10-9 Kelly.

Round 3: Round three was another solid round of action from the Paul's. Kelly out-wrestled Taylor and had top position for most of the round. As was the case in one and two, Taylor stayed busy on the bottom and landed some good shots. Round ends and it should be a clean sweep for Kelly.

Paul Kelly def. Paul Taylor via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) after 3 Rounds.

Fight #4:

-Antoni Hardonk vs. Colin Robinson

Round 1: That was a quick one. Hardonk started with a few solid knees to the body and some leg kicks. A few punches later and seventeen ticks on the clock and Hardonk wins his fight.

Antoni Hardonk def. Colin Robinson via TKO (ref stoppage) at 0:17 of Round 1.

The PPV starts in about 5 minutes. Looks like it could be pretty okay. The really the main event is the only thing I'm looking forward too.

Anyways, I'll post the results here and whatnot.

PPV Results

Jorge Rivera def. Kendall Grove, 1st round TKO

Wilson Gouveia def. Jason Lambert, 2nd round KO (awesome KO)

Marcus Davis def. Jess Liaudin, 1st round KO (another tremendous KO)

Fabricio Werdum def. Gabriel Gonzaga, 2nd round TKO

BJ Penn def. Joe Stevenson, 2nd round submission via rear naked choke

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I hate that it's here in England. Because 1) If I'd paid attention to UFC for the past few months I may have been able to get a group to go, since I know a fair few fans from school.

and 2) We don't get it free tomorrow.

Still, here's to hoping for BJ Penn (Y)