UFC News and Discussion Thread

Since this thread is here, might as well make some use of it.

Has there been any confirmation as to whether the UFC show in Manchester, England will be on April 21st or April 28th, as there seemed to be conflicting reports last time I checked. Also, any names confirmed for the show? I've heard Ortiz and Bisping both mention, anyone else?

That may be true, I'll try to locate the head of ESPN's comments in the one article. He talks about MMA as a sport and why they air things like the hot dog contest and chess instead. He also mentioned (this was before last summer) how they planned to air some domino? specials.
Edited by Psicosis

They air the hot dog contents, chess and spelling bees because it either costs them nothing or they are getting paid to show it (see most of their Major League Soccer coverage or National Lacrosse League's Game of the Week on ESPN2). Championship Dominos aired late last year over here, it was for ESPN Deportes as they believe that it's going to be bigger the poker. I watched it.. it just doesn't have the same tv elements televised poker has.

There is an interview up with Mirko Cro Cop on MMANews.com, originally in Croatian then translated into English.

Just the main and more interesting points of the interview.

- He struggled with injuries before fight, was given the option to scrap the fight, but refused. The injuries were bad enough for Mirko to claim "this was one of hardest fights in my career because of that."

- He will fight in Manchester, England at UFC 70, but doesn't not know who his opponent is yet.

- If he keeps on winning, he should fight the winner of Randy/Sylvia in his forth fight.

- Says it was his choice to use the Pride theme music during his entrance, but would not disclose his intentions for doing so.

- Generally likes Pride rules better as it suits his style more, but has no serious problem with UFC's rules and will try to adapt.

With that, he is a speculated card of UFC 70 in Manchester from the MMAWeekly rumors section.

UFC 70: APRIL 21, 2007 IN MANCHESTER, ENGLAND AT M.E.N. ARENA

-Mirko Cro Cop (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA

-Andrei Arlovski (#6 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA

-Tito Ortiz (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA (possibly Forrest Griffin)

-Forrest Griffin vs. TBA (possibly Tito Ortiz)

-Michael Bisping vs. TBA

-Dennis Siver vs. TBA

-David Lee vs. TBA

-Cheick Kongo vs. TBA

-Abdul Mohamed vs. TBA

-Jess Liaudin vs. TBA

-Elvis Sinosic vs. TBA

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I've been trying to find someone who wants to chip in for the Pride card soooo bad. I'm going to watch the EXC card because I have Showtime and what else is there to do, really? I'm more interested in the KJ Noons fight, to see how good he really is, the Krazy Horse guy seems very un-polished and wild....

The next UFC Fight Night doesn't look all that great, but free MMA is free MMA.

I love the card for UFC 69, and UFC 70 may shape up, I've heard more CroCop/Kongo rumors than anyone else.

In a version of the interview I read, it said Mikro was coming over on the 20th of April and definetly having a fight... That in itself makes me not want to go to Manchester that day.

As for the UFC 70 show, Cro Cop/Kongo, Tito/Griffin, Bisping/Elvis... That's a big card for us over here, throw Arlovski into the mix and this is definetly a must see show for me.

Meltzer also reported that Dana is "under the impression" that the PRIDE buyout is very close to finished. But I've been waiting on official statements to post anything.

Taking the show on the road

UFC aims to run New York, Chicago within 18 months

By Mike Chiappetta

NBCSports.comUpdated: Feb.7, 2007, 3:40 pm EST

So far in 2007, the UFC has held events in Las Vegas and Florida, and has matches scheduled for Columbus, Ohio; Houston Texas; and London. And its sights are set on several other locations that have yet to host mixed martial arts events.

The UFC is currently in the process of helping to introduce legislation into Illinois and Michigan that if passed, would allow the organization to run events in major cities like Chicago and Detroit. And New York isn't far behind, either. The organization is actively involved in working with New York lobbyists and legislators to get the sport approved there, opening up the opportunity to run fight cards at arenas like Madison Square Garden.

"That's certainly the mecca, the goal," said Marc Ratner, UFC's Vice President of Regulatory Affairs. "When I speak to commissions who've approved the sport and had other competing groups runs, I say, 'now it's time to have Broadway.' Now, we want to take our Broadway to Broadway."

UFC President Dana White recently told NBCSports.com that it was his goal to run events in both Chicago and New York within 18 months. Ratner says that goal is realistic.

"I believe it is, yes," he says. "We'll start working on New York a little more aggressively next week and we'll find out what it entails. It depends on each state, but I'm very bullish on the future of the sport."

For now, Illinois is the next state Ratner would like to check off his list. The UFC has worked with state lobbyists to find sponsors for the bill. Once a bill is drafted, it will be introduced through the proper legislative channels. That process will begin imminently, according to Ratner, before going up for vote. Assuming it's approved and written into law, Illinois (and possibly Michigan) could have the sport approved within a few months. Once regulated, the UFC will consider bringing a fight card there in the very near future.

The battleground in New York is a bit different. MMA has been banned in the state since February 1997. Just four months earlier, then-Gov. George Pataki had signed legislation to regulate the sport before reversing course due to public pressure. Ironically, during that time, Ratner was then the executive director of the Nevada state athletic commission, and on a broadcast of "Larry King Live," said that the state would never have the UFC with its no-holds barred, anything-goes rules. Now, he's on the other side of the debate, fighting for UFC.

Of course, a lot has changed in that time. The Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts were written by the New Jersey state athletic commission in 2000 and helped make the sport safer, Zuffa LLC bought the UFC from original owner SEG, and a mainstream explosion followed.

Now, 10 years later, New York state athletic commission chairman Ron Scott Stevens said that the commission has no official stance on the sport, and that it will respond according to whatever action the state government takes.

"If the legislature or senate have a bill that's introduced, and the governor decides to approve it, and we're asked to regulate it, I will do that," Stevens said.

In November 2005, the state of California legalized MMA. According to Armando Garcia, executive officer of the California State Athletic Commission, 48 sanctioned events were held in the state during 2006, and it's been a successful undertaking.

"I think it's been a very positive experience for everyone," he said. "We certainly did not want it to stay the way it was before it was regulated, with little medical care, poor officiating and so forth. There are still issues facing the sport, but it's been a positive for the state."

Other states UFC is lobbying to regulate the sport are Pennsylvania and Hawaii. While the former state currently bans MMA, it is not regulated at all in the latter. So while some smaller fighting organizations run shows there, Ratner and the UFC would not yet consider the islands.

"We feel strongly that if the athletic commission hasn't approved it yet, then it's not completely regulated. And we want to run to regulation."

The UFC's March show in Columbus, Ohio will be an important event for the company. Aside from being one of the fastest sellouts in UFC history and possibly setting an new attendance record for an event, Ratner will use the platform to invite athletic commission members from states considering the sport to the venue and experience it first hand.

"Certainly our long-term goal is to have any state, province or country that has an athletic commission to approve the sport of mixed martial arts," he said.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Was watching Inside the UFC, and they were following Dana with what he does on fight day, he was doing press stuff and with the Japanese guys pointed to the cover of their magazine with Kid Yamamoto on the cover and said, "I want him" very emphatically. He may be giving up around 10 pounds in the 155 division, but he is all muscle. He's TKO'd Uno and Sudo already in K-1. I'd say we'll see him in the UFC soon enough.

Guest Takayamanofear

Was watching Inside the UFC, and they were following Dana with what he does on fight day, he was doing press stuff and with the Japanese guys pointed to the cover of their magazine with Kid Yamamoto on the cover and said, "I want him" very emphatically. He may be giving up around 10 pounds in the 155 division, but he is all muscle. He's TKO'd Uno and Sudo already in K-1. I'd say we'll see him in the UFC soon enough.

Guest Takayamanofear

I think UFC has plenty of money, but I don't know his contract status with K-1 or his desire as you alluded to. The money thing is a non-issue, with where the UFC is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kid leave for the Octagon later in 07 or whenever he can leave K-1

I wouldn't feel too sorry for HERO'S, the fact that they are promoted under the K-1 and FEG banner alone makes them a serious draw. They routinely book popular fighters for their shows like Yoshihiro Akiyama, Hideo Tokoro, Caol Uno, Don Frye, not to mention Kazushi Sakuraba, as well as the odd kick boxer like Semmy Schilt and Jerome LeBanner. It doesn't hurt that Pride and DSE have made themselves the red headed stepchild of Japan. No doubt the departure of KID and Genki hurt, but they'll be fine. Never forget how ridiculous the K-1/FEG machine is (in a strong way)... For those that don't know, think WWE machine, but widely accepted by the public and media.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy