The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

- Ben has never been arrested. Vick and Pacman were.

- Ben has never been charged. Vick and Pacman were.

I'm not saying that Ben would get off what they did, I'm saying put them in Ben's current situation and they'd be banned by the NFL immediately, while Ben will get treated diffently.

And also, just to point it out, Ben didn't get off because he's a 2-time Super Bowl Champion. He got off because there wasn't even enough evidence for probable cause and so he couldn't even be arrested. I know you mean "scott (sic) free" as in, no suspension, but I just wanted to clarify things.

I didn't mention anything about the criminal charges, I was talking about NFL punishment. I wouldn't go as far as accusing that he escaped the law due to his status, but I'm saying that he'll either escape punisment completely or just get a slap on the wrist from the NFL. These two cases clearly deserve to be punished regardless of criminal charges and nobody can claim he's been victimised now, there's a pattern developing.

And if I were Goodell, I'd suspend Ben for the season opener, make him enroll in the league Substance Abuse Program

What he's addicted to isn't a banned NFL substance.

Edited by The Cool One

It's cleat these two cases clearly deserve to be punished regardless of criminal charges and nobody can claim he's been victimised now, there's a pattern developing.

5............ 4................... 3...................

Dolphins acquire Marshall from Denver

The Denver Broncos have traded wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for two second-round picks, according to a league source.

Marshall, who was a restricted free agent, had signed his $2.521 million tender from the Broncos on Tuesday, a move that facilitated the trade of the mercurial receiver.

It was reported earlier that the Seattle Seahawks had shown interest.

Marshall posted his third consecutive 100-catch season last year and made his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl despite several run-ins with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. Marshall had an NFL-record 21 receptions during a Dec. 13 loss at Indianapolis, and his 10 touchdowns for the season were a career best.

But for all his talents on the field, Marshall has had several run-ins with the law and visits to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodells office to discuss off-the-field behavior. Marshall was suspended for the 2008 season opener following a series of domestic disputes involving a former girlfriend.

Last summer, the Broncos suspended Marshall for throwing a tantrum during a training-camp practice. The source of Marshalls frustration was twofold: He was upset with the teams medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required offseason surgery, and he was displeased with his contract.

Marshall earned $2.2 million last season in the final year of the deal that he signed in 2006 as a fourth-round pick out of Central Florida. He wants to be compensated like other elite wide receivers in the NFL, which would mean a pay hike of $6 million to $8 million annually.

Interesting move by the Dolphins, I expected Marshall to end up in Seattle, good move for both parties, because Denver clearly didn't want him there. It doesn't look good ffor Ginn in Miami though.

Edited by The Cool One

Ben is skating if he gets less than 2 games. Even if there's no fire, there's enough smoke to make Goodell's eyes red. Dude needs to find better ways to spend his time.

Thankfully for him and everyone else, he shaved the skeevy Roethlismullet before meeting with Goodell. If there was anything that made him look like a creep, it was that hairstyle. :P

Some people seem to be expressing surprise that Parcells would want to deal with a guy like Marshall on the daily, but seriously, once you've dealt with LT the Original, anyone else is cake.

Brandon Marshall to the Fins for a 2010 and 2011 2nd round draft pick.

And of course trading Holmes hurts Pittsburgh; they have nobody to replace him with, and now their main (only?) targets are an a vet who likely only has 1-2 years in him at the most, and a glorified slot receiver (I'm not counting their TE, because fuck TE's). Since they also seem to be reverting to more of a pass-oriented attack, the need for a player of at least Santonio's talent for at least the next half decade is much needed. What are they going to do, pray Bryant (who has his own set of off the field question marks) falls to them this year and groom him in time to replace Ward? Pray they bomb/trade up next year to land AJ Green, Michael Floyd, or Jonathan Baldwin?

That being said, it was pretty clear Holmes wasn't going to be sticking around long-term in Pittsburgh, so it makes perfect sense for them to deal him. Just.. they lack the depth at this point for this deal to be a slam-dunk for both teams, especially considering they're only getting a 5th.

EDIT - Oh hey, look, apparently there was a new page with a handful of posts that I didn't read, so now this post looks kinda out-dated. Whatever.

Love Marshall to the Fins, especially since it means he's not going to Seattle.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

The Rooneys should, and I think they will, save the NFL the hassle of suspending Big Ben long-term by putting on a 2-3 game suspension for him. Add in some fines from the league, and I see this as the happiest medium they can find. Goodell's gotten suspension happy, so this situation backs him into a corner. Goodell might tack on an extra game to the suspension, maybe try and make it 4 (for the sake of continuity with other suspensions).

Marshall in Miami basically spells the end for Ginn, I could see him being part of a deal to move draft picks.

I'm not saying that Ben would get off what they did, I'm saying put them in Ben's current situation and they'd be banned by the NFL immediately, while Ben will get treated diffently.

And I'm saying you can't put them in Ben's situation and expect the outcome to be the same because of their prior history. If Ben had been arrested before your comparison would make sense.

But to say he should be banned immediately is ridiculous because Ben has never been charged with a crime and has never been arrested.

I didn't mention anything about the criminal charges, I was talking about NFL punishment. I wouldn't go as far as accusing that he escaped the law due to his status, but I'm saying that he'll either escape punisment completely or just get a slap on the wrist from the NFL. These two cases clearly deserve to be punished regardless of criminal charges and nobody can claim he's been victimised now, there's a pattern developing.

What he's addicted to isn't a banned NFL substance.

I highly doubt he doesn't get punished. If not by Goodell then I think the Rooneys will suspend him, but Goodell will do it for them so he can't appeal it.

And again, Ben's decision making is clearly stunted by his consumption of large amounts of alcohol. You don't have to be a doctor to realize Ben needs to lay off the booze.

The Rooneys should, and I think they will, save the NFL the hassle of suspending Big Ben long-term by putting on a 2-3 game suspension for him. Add in some fines from the league, and I see this as the happiest medium they can find. Goodell's gotten suspension happy, so this situation backs him into a corner. Goodell might tack on an extra game to the suspension, maybe try and make it 4 (for the sake of continuity with other suspensions).

The problem with the Rooneys suspending Ben is that the NFLPA can immediately appeal the move, and the appeal goes to an unbiased outside arbiter. If Goodell suspends Ben, the appeal would go back to the league office where it would be shot down.

I think if Ben's suspended it will be by Goodell, who has said he is working with the Rooneys to figure out an appropriate punishment. Then we'll get a statement from Art Rooney saying that the team supports Goodell's decision and that they agree with it 100%.

Whatever decision is made, it will be made by Goodell and the Rooneys together.

I am sad to see such an incredible talent go. But I would be lying if I said he wasn't a huge distraction and selfish brat. Maybe he will be happy in Miami, because the dude is an amazing receiver. Sucks we couldn't get that first round pick for him, but a second this year and a second next year sure as hell ain't too shabby.

Seattle waited too long and missed out. he wasn't going to get along with idiot McDaniels so good move for both sides. I think a big thing for Miami last year was Henne's receivers had A LOT of key drops. cough Tedd Ginn cough. Marshall could be a huge help to Henne, as he has proved he can get even 20 receptions a game and make the big catches. Miami should at least be a wildcard team next year, if they can't beat out the Jets for the division. both teams are looking good heading in.

So Stan Kroenke is trying to buy the Rams all by himself. Now I feel even better that the Lions will get Suh.

Wait, what happened to that Pakistani guy the right wing nutjobs were going crazy about buying the team?

Do you guys think that Goodell will end up suspending Ben or just slapping him on the wrist with a warning? I think he almost has to sit him for at least 4 games in order to keep up the appearance that the "personal conduct" policy actually matters. If he doesn't, then I think there will be a lot of racially motivated comments made by some of the league's more outspoken players.

I agree. He has to sit him the 4 games. Anything else would be a joke and if I was a black player in the year I would speak out about it. I don't see the 2 from the league and 2 from the team suspension happening. It'll either be one or the other, you can't be punished twice for the same offence.

Not to start a debate but...

- Ben has never been arrested. Vick and Pacman were.

- Ben has never been charged. Vick and Pacman were.

That honestly just doesn't matter. Big Ben has repeatedly shown that he's made the wrong decisions and has caused embarrassment to the league and team. The Rooney family prides itself on class, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers do trade him at the draft. There was another report today regarding an incident that might have happened.

The Pittsburgh Media is now calling for a suspension too.

While we're on the subject of drunk white guys who are causing embarassment to the league....did you guys see the video of Jerry Jones that Deadspin posted?

Here's the transcript for those who can't watch the video right now.

A source sends along this video of a seemingly inebriated Jerry Jones waxing off about Tim Tebow ("he'd never get on the field"), Bill Parcells ("not worth a shit"), and how he got his stadium. Read the rough transcript after the jump.

Jerry Jones: Romo was a miracle.

Other guy: It was a miracle, wasn't it?

JJ: He almost never got in, and he almost was gone. Tebow would never…

Different other guy: What if you were the Jaguars or — would you just, just draft him and sell fucking jerseys?

JJ: That's the only reason I brought in Bill Parcells.

[Laughter]

JJ: [inaudible. Sounds a little like, "Sell mammoth fuckin' rake," whatever that means.]

JJ: Bill's not worth a shit. I love him.

Different other guy: I know you do.

JJ: Not worth a shit, but I wanted — they were on my ass so bad. J's gotta have a yes man. So to get this fuckin' stadium, I need to bring his ass in.

Different other guy: What, you, you wouldn't take Tebow in the third round?

JJ: Why? He'd never get on the field. I can't get him out there.

[Laughter]

JJ: I can't get him out there.

To be fair I do agree with him about the Tebow point.

Edited by sahyder1

You gotta love Jerr-uh. Dude is old school Texas wildcat. Made his money in oil, and fits the Cowboys perfectly. He actually knows football, too.

He's a lot like Al Davis. Jones isn't as much of a 'football guy' as Davis (for real, is any other owner in the league a former coach or player? Serious question), but they're both mavericks, and the NFL is better off with them. Not everyone should be the Rooneys, who are great in their own way.

The guy who owns Washington, forget his name at the moment, he wishes he could be Jerry Jones.

-----

As for the Rams, what happened to the guy from LA trying to buy them and move them back here. No offense to St. Louis, but the Rams belong in LA. I'd actually care about them, then.

-----

Denver messed up with that trade. Outside of Marshall, what do they have? I couldn't name a single other WR. They don't have a QB that can really do anything with crap WRs anyway, as much as I actually like Kyle Orton and think he's a legit starter in the league. They aren't the same old running Broncos, either. I know the situation, but I think that really muddles their playoff chances. I think any of the four teams in the AFC West could win that division now, depending on what happens at RB in San Diego, WR in Denver, QB in Oakland, and how much KC can improve in year two of their regime. As it stood, I thought Denver had the most complete team.

-----

Oh, yeah, as for Big Ben... considering the trade they just made regarding Santonio Holmes, which was for off-the-field issues, they need to come strong against Ben. I like the guy, he's fun to watch, and he's a gamer, but you can't put yourself in these situations. I understand shit happens, believe me, I do, but what the fuck are you doing in a public bathroom in the middle of bumfuck Georgia with a twenty year old? No one disputes that they were there, just what happened. Either way, bad decision. The Steelers need to do something, because he's really damaging their nearly impeccable reputation. Much as I dislike them (as a rival), I respect the franchise, and part of what made the old Pittsburgh/Oakland rivalry so fun is the difference in how the teams are perceived. Pittsburgh needs to suspend him at least four games, if the Commish doesn't.

By the way, he doesn't need to be charged, or even arrested to be suspended. The conduct policy has clauses for cases just such as this. Conduct detrimental to the reputation of the league or its members. Ben fits perfectly into that.

You gotta love Jerr-uh. Dude is old school Texas wildcat. Made his money in oil, and fits the Cowboys perfectly. He actually knows football, too.

He's a lot like Al Davis. Jones isn't as much of a 'football guy' as Davis (for real, is any other owner in the league a former coach or player? Serious question), but they're both mavericks, and the NFL is better off with them. Not everyone should be the Rooneys, who are great in their own way.

The guy who owns Washington, forget his name at the moment, he wishes he could be Jerry Jones.

-----

As for the Rams, what happened to the guy from LA trying to buy them and move them back here. No offense to St. Louis, but the Rams belong in LA. I'd actually care about them, then.

-----

Denver messed up with that trade. Outside of Marshall, what do they have? I couldn't name a single other WR. They don't have a QB that can really do anything with crap WRs anyway, as much as I actually like Kyle Orton and think he's a legit starter in the league. They aren't the same old running Broncos, either. I know the situation, but I think that really muddles their playoff chances. I think any of the four teams in the AFC West could win that division now, depending on what happens at RB in San Diego, WR in Denver, QB in Oakland, and how much KC can improve in year two of their regime. As it stood, I thought Denver had the most complete team.

-----

Oh, yeah, as for Big Ben... considering the trade they just made regarding Santonio Holmes, which was for off-the-field issues, they need to come strong against Ben. I like the guy, he's fun to watch, and he's a gamer, but you can't put yourself in these situations. I understand shit happens, believe me, I do, but what the fuck are you doing in a public bathroom in the middle of bumfuck Georgia with a twenty year old? No one disputes that they were there, just what happened. Either way, bad decision. The Steelers need to do something, because he's really damaging their nearly impeccable reputation. Much as I dislike them (as a rival), I respect the franchise, and part of what made the old Pittsburgh/Oakland rivalry so fun is the difference in how the teams are perceived. Pittsburgh needs to suspend him at least four games, if the Commish doesn't.

By the way, he doesn't need to be charged, or even arrested to be suspended. The conduct policy has clauses for cases just such as this. Conduct detrimental to the reputation of the league or its members. Ben fits perfectly into that.

How could you forget Daniel Snyder? All he's done since he brought the team was try to become a "name" owner and he hasn't even accomplished that :shifty:

That attorney came out later in the day and retracted everything he said. He said he had no evidence and that he never should have said anything in the first place.

But...to this date, no one has been suspended without an arrest on their record.

But...to this date, no one has been suspended without an arrest on their record.

To date no one else has nearly killed himself riding without a helmet or has had two women allege he's assaulted/raped them. He's done all of that in the span of 4 off seasons. He's brought shame to the shield, so Goodell's going to have to sit him.

To date no one else has nearly killed himself riding without a helmet or has had two women allege he's assaulted/raped them. He's done all of that in the span of 4 off seasons. He's brought shame to the shield, so Goodell's going to have to sit him.

I really don't think there's a need to bring up his motorcycle accident. He wasn't at fault and it's not against the law to not wear a helmet in PA. Was it a dumb move? In hindsight, yeah. But what 23-24 year-old guys don't do stupid shit?

This is true. I'm just saying that its within the stated guidelines to do so.

Right, I understand. And you're absolutely right, I was just pointing out that this would set a new precedent.

Actually, considering Bens circumstances..that he wasn't licensed to ride, it is illegal. The law states you have to be licensed to ride a motorcycle for atleast 2 years before you can legally ride with no helmet

• Like 1