The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Honestly, I'd rather try to manage a trade with the Eagles for one of their QBs than take a chance and fuck up with this year's QB draft class. At least Vick/McNabb have proved themeselves and Kolb seems to be good.

Kolb isn't getting dealt, Vick is a glorified Wildcat QB (and a shit one at that), and McNabb likely only has about 3-4 years of productivity left.. the Rams likely won't be in a position to seriously compete until in about 3-4 years; what's the point? And regardless, I believe he only has one year left on his deal, which more or less means McNabb has "veto" power for any potential trade. The only teams that make much sense for him at this point are Arizona or, if Favre doesn't return, the Vikings, as they're the only ones built up to the point of being post-season ready who (might) need a new QB.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Your excuses for Clausen might have merit if Notre Dame had actually played anyone. But they didn't, outside of USC, so the argument is null and void.

With the talent Clausen had around him at Notre Dame, and the schedule they played, they should have, easily, won more games. The fact that they didn't is a mark against his supposed 'leadership'.

more a mark against the coach I think. He never as they say "coached up" those top recruits. I very much dislike ND, but they flat out didn't have a ton of talent. Or more specificly, that talent was never truely developed. Jimmy didn't have much around him. Those players never got better. You can blame rivals and others for hyping up those recruiting classes that might make the most sense.

Should Jimmy be the number one pick in any way shape or form? not a chance. Suh is a sure pick and can only improve a team. And he can do it right alway and assuming no injuries, for the next 6-10 years. Suhs the common sense pick. But I do think you're being too hard on Jimmy, DMN.

Your excuses for Clausen might have merit if Notre Dame had actually played anyone. But they didn't, outside of USC, so the argument is null and void.

With the talent Clausen had around him at Notre Dame, and the schedule they played, they should have, easily, won more games. The fact that they didn't is a mark against his supposed 'leadership'.

WHAT talent, though? He had his receivers, and Manti Te'o. That is it. Who else is on that team worth a damn?

Buck is right - they have gotten top recruiting classes (because Rivals/Scout/etc. aren't known to mysteriously add a star or two to a player's rank when they sign with a big name school, right?), but that staff was absolutely terrible at developing and making them anything more than overhyped recruits.

Clausen did absolutely everything in his power so that they could win, but time and again his defense (and offense line, and running backs, and, in the case of the USC game, his Tight Ends) let him down. Again, you would have a valid point if they lost games because of Clausen, or if Clausen crumbled under pressure, but the simple fact of the matter is that Clausen was the sole reason they were 6-6, and in it in most games until the very end in the first place; that squad was easily the worst out of all of big name programs, and worst than a good majority of D1 schools, period. They gave up 23 points to Navy, for fuck's sake, since you love bringing them up so much.

EDIT - I actually went ahead and looked up some more stats from the Navy/ND game, and I think they prove my point far more than any post I can come up with.

Starting RB Armando Allen missed the game due to injury, and while he's not the player many expected him to be, it still means something when the starting RB is out. Consequently, ND only mustered 60 rushing yards. Navy, on the other hand, ran it for 348 yards. Clearly, due to their gimmicky offense, they're expected to put up big numbers, but that is still an embarssing total.

Also, they gave up a 52 yard TD to Ricky Dobbs, one of only 6 passing TDs he threw all season.

Navy only converted 46.2% of their third downs (compared to ND's 55.6%), yet held the ball 32:19 compared to ND's 27:41.

With under two minutes left in the game, Jimmy Clausen was sacked on back to back plays, including once in the endzone for a safety.

With under a minute in the game, he threw a 34 yard TD to Golden Tate to get them within 2 points of winning. Unfortunately, the ensuing onside kick was kicked out of bounds, and with mere seconds left on the clock, there wasnt much to do. Speaking of kicks, ND also had 2 missed FG's in this game - either one of which, obviously, would have given them the win at the end.

Oh, and here's the kicker. Jimmy Clausen's stats for the day? 37-of-52 for 452 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception. That's an 8.9 yard per attempt, and a 72.5% completion rating. In other words, despite the complete ineptness of his surrounding cast, Clausen still crushed Navy's defense, as would be expected.

So quit with your repetitive "couldn't even beat Navy" non-sense, as I've been saying, he did absolutely everything in his power to win them the game, but his teammates, time after time, let him down.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

The kids Notre Dame gets sghould be able to defeat a majority of the teams they schedule right out of the box. You can continue to make excuses for him all you want, but the team had enough talent to win at least 9-10 games last year, especially with the schedule they had, and poor little Jimmy Clausen couldn't do it. He's not a leader.

I'm done arguing it, though. When he fails to be 'the guy' in the NFL, then you'll see. He's all media hype. So is Bradford, for that matter. There isn't one QB I'd draft before the third round in this draft, and that's only because I love Tebow's intangibles, and would take a flyer on him there.

Mysterio, are you, by any chance, a bitter, former High School quarterback who never got his chance to shine?

I've been on the Suh bandwagon pretty much from the moment he started getting Heisman hype - obviously, being English, I wasn't aware of him until the media started making me aware of him - and the recent trend people are demonstrating away from Suh as the first overall pick and towards Bradford continues to boggle my mind every time I see another mock draft like it.

St. Louis have holes everywhere, but their defense is getting younger and improving. Off the top of my head, they've got two first-round picks and a second-rounder there already - Carriker, Long and Laurinaitis - who are at least credible starter, and adding Suh to that will do them no harm. Taking Bradford, on the other hand, leaves them best-case Buffalo - always drafting in the middle of the pack, having little chance to break out and so on. Purely from an organisational standpoint, Suh is the more sensible choice. Bradford is flashier, but Suh is more sensible.

That doesn't even touch on their relative quality. Suh is generally acknowledged as a) the best DT in the draft, b) the best player in the draft and c) the best DT for years to enter the draft. Bradford can't even beat out Jimmy Clausen, who did nothing of note at Notre Dame, to be considered the best quarterback in the draft.

Mysterio, are you, by any chance, a bitter, former High School quarterback who never got his chance to shine?

Obviously. :P

But whatever, this is has gotten stupid and pointless. Has been for a while, we're obviously not going to change each other's minds.

To be fair, I am a former DT and we NEVER get the chance to shine.

And hate QBs. It's genetic.

Obviously. :P

But whatever, this is has gotten stupid and pointless. Has been for a while, we're obviously not going to change each other's minds.

To be fair, I am a former DT and we NEVER get the chance to shine.

And hate QBs. It's genetic.

lol, that's pretty awesome.

McCoy and Suh'll both do some great things in the NFL, I'm sure. I do like McCoy a bit more than Suh, but they're really just "1A" and "1B" this year (alongside Eric Berry, another tremendous defensive talent). I'm just a big fan of when DTs/3-4 DE's are great pass rushers. It's why I'm such a big fan of Dockett/Starks/Ratliff (and Calais Campbell's pretty great, too).

Edited by Mysterio2000X

I myself, Hope like hell the rams do draft a qb, any qb. Because I want the lions to take a DT. suh or McCoy, though i prefer Suh. Granted, knowing the lions history, the guy will either be a horrible bust or blow out his knee early ending a awesome potential career. One or the other I'm sure.

Edited by buck44

The Lions picking Suh would be like getting that piece they lost when Shaun Rogers started getting old, inproductive and well traded. Suh/McCoy would be the safest pick right now as Bradford and his shoulder aren't a safe bet.

Edited by Powerhart

And I'm of the belief that the Lions should take Okung.

They're on the cusp of having an elite, aerial offense. If they don't want Stafford to wind up with with David Carr Syndrome (or just seriously fucking injured), they need to get him some protection, especially when your LT will be going up against Jared Allen, Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews six games out of the year. You take Okung, slide Backus to the LG spot, and shift their current LG to the RG (I forgot his name, but he's a damn good run blocker and would be a better fit on the strongside). That's upgrading three positions at the crucial offensive line with one pick, including getting an LT for the next decade.

They should have taken either Michael Oher and William Beatty last year. There's no reason for them to have taken Pettigrew over Oher, it was stupid, and now they have to pay for it by skipping on either McCoy or Suh. But whatever, I think they've actually realized this themselves, which explains the Corey Williams trade.

EDIT - And all of this, of course, means Tampa'll cream their pants as they'll actually get to choose between Suh/McCoy. They're probably pick Suh, but I personally think McCoy fits the Tampa Two better.

EDIT2 - And where's all this talk about Suh being the 'safe pick' coming from? I don't think he'll bust, but I can't in good conscious call a {slightly} overrated DT who's had multiple knee surgeries a safe pick after Dorsey. If anything, I think Eric Berry is the "safest pick" in the draft, if there is such a thing. Elite talent, no injury concerns, capable of playing SS or FS in just about any system..

EDIT3 - whoa wtf, apparently Charles Davis and I think the same thing. Am I going to have to start smiling uncontrollably now, too?

Edited by Mysterio2000X

I really don't get any of this Suh as a safe pick talk. There is no safe pick in the first slot, especially with the money that's getting paid out. The argument that defensive tackles are inherently more inclined to bust then quarterbacks is just uneducated and absed on polarizing examples such as Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf. In the first 10 picks quarterbacks pan out juts as well as defensive tackles. People forget about Darell Russel, Gerard Warren, Dewayne Robertson and Ryan Sims. Hell, look at Glen Dorsey for a recent example. Heralded in a similiar way as Suh, supposed to be the next Warren Sapp, and he has two career sacks. I'm not saying Suh will bust, but to say he's less likely to then a quarterback just because of that is silly.

As far as quarterbacks go I don't like Bradford at all. Clausen has better arm strength, doesn't have a fucked up shoulder, he throws with good accuracy and most importantly he's played well out of a WCO for 3 years. I hate Notre Dame but to say their failures fall on the shoulders of Clausen and not the rest of the team that was shit. As a junior coming out his stats are better then any of the other junior quarterbacks that have transitioned so well to the NFL. I know stats aren't everything but his are real real special for someone playing on such a shitty consistently struggling team. He threw for 200 more yards then Stafford and 300 and 400 respectively on both the Manning's. His 8.8 YPA is .2 less then Stafford's and greater then Peyton's , Rivers' Ben's and a full 2.7 better then Ryan's. His 28 TD's are the highest out of all these quarterbacks and his perfect 7 TD/INT ratio blows others out of the water. It looks like his completion percentage is the highest too. That's impressive.

If I have the first pick and I'm the Rams I'm taking him. I'm not tying up all that money in a Defensive Tackle in the NFL today when I don't even have a quarterback. I'd prefer Jake Locker but with Clausen staring me down I'll take what I can get.

If I'm the Lion's I'm taking Okung. He's not the best player on the board but hes a good tackle and you have $78 million behind center who is showing a lot of potential. My first priority is to protect him and give him every opportunity he can to succeed.

The Buccaner's GM is now shitting his pants with the ability to pick between Suh and McCoy. Suh is the better player, McCoy fits the system better. I'm taking Suh because he's just a great talent. Not the next Reggie White like teh media is hyping him to be but nonetheless a great talent.

The Redskins take whoever isn't taken out of Clausen/Bradford.

The Chiefs draft for their system so I don't even fucking know. They showed they are willing to reach last year for a player that fits in perfectly (Tyson Jackson). They focus on the defensive and offensive line. I'd want Eric Berry but I could see them going for something different. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for a tackle and move Albert over. He was a guard first anyway. Bulaga, Trent Williams and Bruce Campbell are all options ( and reaches) I guess but Russel Okung is who they really want. If he doesn't fall to them I'd trade down.

And those are my first five picks.

I'm guessing the Chiefs take Bulaga. There's the Kirk Ferentz-Bill Belichick connection at play, and Bulaga seems like the type of technically-sound, hard working player that Scott Pioli would fall in love with. I really don't think he'll be anything special, but he just makes the most sense for Pioli.

I don't disagree with Bulaga there and I think he is the most likely pick I just don't see him being that great of a tackle. He'll be servicable but I honestly don't see him panning out to be better then Williams and depending on his development, Campbell. The last two years tackle class' were so strong I just don't see this year matching up.

I don't disagree with Bulaga there and I think he is the most likely pick I just don't see him being that great of a tackle. He'll be servicable but I honestly don't see him panning out to be better then Williams and depending on his development, Campbell. The last two years tackle class' were so strong I just don't see this year matching up.

Me neither; Bulaga's nothing special, like I said. But, a lot of these front offices make silly decisions and Pioli in particular has shown that he's willing to reach if he likes a prospect. Tyson Jackson wan't much coming out of college, either - he had about the same range as Bulaga, but Pioli went right ahead and picked him up #3 overall anyways.

No reason to think he won't do the same if Okung isn't there.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

And I'm of the belief that the Lions should take Okung.

You don't watch a lot of Lions game, do you?

Detroit, in no way, should pass Suh. They blew the chance last year taking a OT when they took Pettigrew. The Lions defense needs to be looked at more than the offensive line right now. If Suh is gone, maybe take Okung or Davis (because I don't trust the franchise with a project like McCoy), but if Suh's there, you take him.