EWB's Top 31 TV Shows of 2009: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Curb Your Enthusiasm last? Boooooooooooo. You people disappoint me time and time again.

No, Lie to Me, Degrassi, Battle of the Blades, Damages, The X-Factor, and NCIS: LA were last. Or any and every TV show out in 2009 that didn't appear on a single ballot.

Curb Your Enthusiasm last? Boooooooooooo. You people disappoint me time and time again.

No, Lie to Me, Degrassi, Battle of the Blades, Damages, The X-Factor, and NCIS: LA were last. Or any and every TV show out in 2009 that didn't appear on a single ballot.

Last on the list = last. On the list, that is. <_<

Either way it deserves a much better placing than that.

• Like 1

Season-4-promo--house-md-168397_375.jpg

6. House (71 points, appeared on 8 ballots)

michael-victory.jpg

5. The Office (76 points, appeared on 13 ballots)

lost-season-5-promo.jpg

4. Lost (80 points, appeared on 11 ballots)

NEXT TIME, on EWB's Top 31 Shows of '09: 1248951765_kitten-mittens.gif

• Like 1

DAMNIT. I knew I forgot something. DEGRASSI. How could I forget?!

• Like 2

sunny.jpg

3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (82 points, appeared on 11 ballots)

How-I-Met-Your-Mother.jpg

2. How I Met Your Mother (88 points, appeared on 11 ballots)

dexter-promo-photo.jpg

1. Dexter (102 points, appeared on 12 ballots)

All in all, I really like this list. Thanks to everyone who voted for voting, and see you next year.

Next Time, on EWB's Top 31 TV Shows of '09:

test-pattern.jpg

• Like 1

That's a downright awesome Top 3. I was expecting Dexter to come first, but I figured HIMYM would end up a bit further down the list, glad to see it's so high up. I'll probably catch hell for this but I wouldn't have put The Office and House that high, despite the fact I enjoy both programs.

Also the gif of Charlie and the Kitten Mittens was wonderful. :P

• Like 1

I've just started getting into How I Met Your Mother. I think it's a good show, but I don't think it's outright awesome - like, second place worthy. Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you guys enjoy it so much? Just to get a little discussion going an' all.

I can't speak for the rest of us but I've got a massive man crush on Jason Segel and NPH. >_> I don't know, it's just the perfect mix of humour and drama in my opinion and the cast is just fantastic. I don't really know how to explain it, it just... works for me, perfectly. There's also something about it that's just fun, you can become involved in it but you can also just chuck on an episode and enjoy, which is usually a rarity for me with most shows I love.

It's not like you can just throw on and enjoy an episode of True Blood or Californication, as the stories all overlap throughout the entire series, HIMYM has a great way of quickly catching you up on important parts of the story arc whenever it's needed, but whilst the episodes are mostly comedic there are overlapping storylines.

I totally see where you're coming from. I've jumped in on Series 5 as it airs on E4, and I think it's great fun. Some good comedy in the air. But I don't think it's amazing. I think Barney's quality, and Robin's pretty cool - but I don't dig Lily so much. Which is weird, because I love me some Willow. Maybe I just need to get into it more, but I think it trails to Friends; which seems to be what the void its attemping to fill. I enjoy watching it and have it on record; I just don't see it as a big of a program as the rest of EWB does.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't say that it's anything like Friends other than the fact it's a Sitcom. Maybe you just don't have the connection that you might've with the characters that you would've had you started from the start. I can't stand watching a show from anywhere but the beginning. It's pretty much a somewhat over exaggerated imitation of real life in some ways as well. >_> Maybe I just lead a strange life.

I was surprised that How I Met Your Mother finished as high as it did; it basically slowly but surely gained momentum as the list went on. But in retrospect I'm not shocked because, as I was saying to Kaney on MSN yesterday, it's basically the perfect model of a sitcom; the humor manages to be both smart and broad, and it helps that it has three comedic ringers in Jason Segel, Alyson Hannigan, and Neil Patrick Harris.

I do think there is some merit in comparing it to Friends, actually, in that both are programs about upper middle-classish twenty/thirtysomethings living in NYC and their relationships and so on, but yeah.

I've just started getting into How I Met Your Mother. I think it's a good show, but I don't think it's outright awesome - like, second place worthy. Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you guys enjoy it so much? Just to get a little discussion going an' all.

I only actually started to watch the show about six months ago and it's the best decision I made. It's about the best American comedy show I've seen since Friends first arrived. The question should be why wouldn't you enjoy it? It's just plain awesome with a cast that are fantastic.

Out of the top ten, I'd have liked to have seen True Blood make it nearer to the top spot. Not really a fan at all of Dexter, but all in all a good finish on things.

• Like 1

I am a little bit pissed that HIMYM was only #2 but I'm thankful that it wasn't me putting not putting it at #1 that cost it the win and instead it was me and a whole bunch of people not putting it at #1.

But all in all, Dexter is a deserving champion, I may need to pick up were I left off with it.

I'm apart of the club that didn't start watching it until later down the line, I had heard of it but never watched it. Until of course Ace talked me into watching an episode and that episode started my slide into becoming a fan :)

HIMYM for #1 in 2010!

It's hardly surprising, but I've heard of 20 of these, and only actually seen six - two of which were Lost and True Blood, so they don't count. Because they're shit.

• Like 1