Formula One 2010

Lineker

• Admin

22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngVodafone McLaren Mercedes (Mercedes)

#1 - 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Jenson Button

#2 - 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Lewis Hamilton

22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.pngMercedes GP Petronas F1 Team (Mercedes)

#3 - 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Michael Schumacher

#4 - 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Nico Rosberg

22px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.pngRed Bull Racing (Renault)

#5 - 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Sebastian Vettel

#6 - 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Mark Webber

22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.pngScuderia Ferrari Marlboro (Ferrari)

#7 - 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Felipe Massa

#8 - 22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Fernando Alonso

22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngAT&T Williams (Cosworth)

#9 - 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Rubens Barrichello

#10 - 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Nico Hülkenberg

22px-Flag_of_France.svg.pngRenault F1 Team (Renault)

#11 - 22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Robert Kubica

#12 - 22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Vitaly Petrov

22px-Flag_of_India.svg.pngForce India F1 Team (Mercedes)

#14 - 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Adrian Sutil

#15 - 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Vitantonio Liuzzi

22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.pngScuderia Toro Rosso (Ferrari)

#16 - 20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png Sébastien Buemi

#17 - 22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Jaime Alguersuari

22px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.pngLotus Racing (Cosworth)

#18 - 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Jarno Trulli

#19 - 22px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Heikki Kovalainen

22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.pngHispania Racing F1 Team (HRT) (Cosworth)

#20 - 22px-Flag_of_India.svg.png Karun Chandhok (Round 1-10) / 22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Sakon Yamamoto (Round 11-14, 16-17) / 22px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Christian Klien (Round 15, 18-19)

#21 - 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Bruno Senna (Round 1-9, 11-) / 22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Sakon Yamamoto (Round 10)

20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.pngBMW Sauber F1 Team (Ferrari)

#22 - 22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Pedro de la Rosa (Round 1-14) / 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Nick Heidfeld (Round 15-)

#23 - 22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Kamui Kobayashi

22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngVirgin Racing (Cosworth)

#24 - 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Timo Glock

#25 - 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Lucas di Grassi

The USF1 Team have indicated that they will not be in a position to participate in 2010.

gpcalender.jpg

Rule Changes from 2009

- Refuelling is to be abolished for the first time since 1993. As a consequence, the cars will be allowed to refuel after the third part of qualifying. The 2010 F1 cars are expected to look a little more bloated at the rear due to a larger fuel tank between the driver and engine. Despite the resolution over the budget cap meaning that the 2010 regulations would default back to the 2009 rules, FOTA have expressed interest in a refuelling ban as it represents a way to cut costs.

- Formula One Management will offer financial support to all new teams from next season, in the form of $10m (£6.25m, €6.8m) along with the free transportation of two chassis and 10,000 kg (22,049 lbs) of freight to each race.

FOTA has agreed to scrap KERS for 2010 due to poor uptake and pressure from FIA to cut costs, although KERS is not banned in the regulations.

- The minimum car weight will be increased from 605 kg to 620 kg (1,334 lbs to 1,367 lbs) to stop taller and heavier drivers being at a disadvantage if KERS is added to their car, which will still be allowed in 2010, despite FOTA's agreement not to use the system.

- The qualifying system will change to accommodate the extra cars: 8 cars will drop out of the first qualifying session, 8 from the second and as in 2009, 10 cars will shoot-out for pole in the third session. The third session will now be run in low-fuel configuration due to the refuelling ban.

- Wheel covers which have been used by the teams since 2006 are also set to be banned for 2010

A new points system has been ratified for 2010, in response to the increased grid. Since 2003, points had been awarded to the top eight finishers: ten points for first, eight for second, six for third and all the way down to one for eighth place. The 2010 system will see 25 points for first, 20 for second, 15 for third, ten for fourth and then eight, six, five, three, two, and finally to one for fifth through to tenth place.

- The stewarding system will be overhauled for 2010. Rather than having a rotating line-up of stewards, they will now be drawn from a smaller, fixed pool of permanent stewards that will include former drivers. This is an attempt to make the stewarding process more transparent, following recent controversies involving the stewards.

- Formula 1 teams will be allowed to give mid-season substitute drivers a day of testing from 2010 as part of rules tweaks announced by the FIA. Among the other rule adjustments for 2010, garage space will be evenly distributed at each race - ending the previous situation where teams that had finished lower down the previous year's constructors' championship had to work in more cramped conditions during grands prix weekends as the larger garages were given to the most successful teams. The penalty for exceeding the limit of eight engines per car per season has also been amended to ensure that any car that goes over the limit twice in a single grand prix weekend receives a ten-place grid penalty both for that race and the following event. Further limitations have been placed on aerodynamic testing, with the 2009 allowance of eight days reduced to six for 2010, and the option to substitute any of those days for four hours of full-scale windtunnel testing within a 24-hour period.

No refuelling? So they have to run the entire race with one fuel load?

Yeah, this was announced last July I believe. I like it for the sole reason that it will suit Jenson's style of driving as he is always very good on tyres due to his smooth style. However I dislike it emore because it'll take a lot of the strategy and intrigure away from the final qualifying session through to the race ass essentially everyone will be on the same strategies barring accidents and punctures. Assuming they will still hae to use both compounds of tyre aailable that weeekend you will be mostly seeing everyone on the same 2 or 3 stop strategies based on degredation of the tyres with the only intrigue being when to use the supposed "worse tyre" which due to the no-refueling rule will almost certainly be the last stint due to the lower weight on the poorer performing tyre meaning less degredation.

Other than that major gripe I am really excited about this season... Even Schumacher coming back (if it happens) is making me excited that we can see Schumacher vs Hamilton/Button/Alonso/Massa, I mean Schumacher vs Ferrari in general is such an interesting undertone to the season and with so much changing and the new teams and drivers coming in, more cars should mean more action, seriously can not wait until March for this one (Y)

Guest Raving Rich

Very smart move by Sauber to sign Kobayashi. However, It's obvious that he won't be their lead driver so I'm expecting them to sign an experienced driver to fill that role, maybe someone like Nick Heidfeld or on an outside bet Jacques Villeneuve.

Very, very happy to see Kobayashi get that seat. Here's hoping that BMW/Sauber had been working on the 2010 car ala Brawn were in 2008, so that it's somewhat competitive at the start of the season. At the very least I'm gonna imagine they'll score a few points - the Ferrari engine is going to give them a HUGE boost over the Cosworth teams alone.

Sense would say that Schumacher is going to get that second Mercedes seat (I wouldn't be surprised of course if they bump Rosberg down to second driver), and that Heidfeld is going to end up back at BMW. Alguesuari is a lock for the STR second seat, which really only leaves the USF1 seats, the second Renault seat (unless Kubica pulls out) and then the Campos seat (de la Rosa?).

I do have a feeling this is going to be one of the most exciting seasons once again. I'm not crazy about the stupid ass points system, but I'll reserve judgement until the season begins. Also, I've probably said it before but: YAY MONTREAL <3333

Guest Raving Rich

Huge update on Schumacher/Mercedes:

(Source: bbc.co.uk/formula1)

Michael Schumacher wants to return to F1, Ferrari say

By Jonathan Legard

BBC F1 commentator 999999.gif

Michael Schumacher has told Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo he is planning a comeback with Mercedes.

Itis the first time anyone close to the German legend has confirmed he isactively pursuing a return, which has been rumoured for weeks.

"Ispoke to him [on Wednesday] and he told me there is a very strongpossibility but that it's not 100% decided," Di Montezemolo said.

He said a return by Schumacher, 41 in January, would be "good for F1".

Schumacherretired at the end of 2006 after winning five world titles with Ferrariin consecutive years from 2000-4, to add to the two he won withBenetton in 1994-5.

BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan revealed lastmonth that Schumacher had had talks about a comeback with Mercedes andthat it would probably happen - and now Di Montezemolo has confirmed it.

"A guy called Michael Schumacher told us at Monza (in September) hewould renew his (Ferrari consultancy) contract," Di Montezemolo said."And it looked like his career would finish with Ferrari.

"But then there's another one who looks like him, 40, 41 yrs old, German, same name and decided to do a new career.

"Everybody in life can do what they prefer, and I understand that there is somebody at 41 years who wants to try again.

"SoI think it's possible this twin, another Michael Schumacher, same age,same capability, some determination and spirit, will drive for Mercedesnext year."

Di Montezemolo said Schumacher had been "destroyed"when it emerged he would not be able to make a temporary return to F1with Ferrari last summer as a stand-in for the injured Felipe Massabecause of a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident last winter.

"He phoned me, and he was so sad. He said: 'Listen, the doctor saysI cannot do anything because I still have a problem with the neck.

"That day, Michael was not sad, (he was) more than sad. He was destroyed.

"Ofcourse, I will have a lot of fans on our website very upset. They thinkMichael is a traitor. But I will explain to them it is not Michael butanother one.

"As a friend, it is difficult for me, but I'm happy to see somebody so fit and with such big determination.

"Aschairman of Ferrari, I'm so sad. He received a lot from Ferrari, and hehas given a lot to Ferrari. I think the combination in the good and thebad moments was very, very good.

"This is the reason why Ithink we have to accept there is another Michael who is wanting torace. The real Michael is still with Ferrari."

Schumacher stillhas to have medical tests on his neck injury before he can confirm areturn, and Di Montezemolo said he expected a decision to be madepublic "at the end of December or the beginning of January".

Massahas recovered from the fractured skull he suffered at the HungarianGrand Prix and will be driving for Ferrari again in 2010 alongsidetheir new signing, double world champion Fernando Alonso.

DiMontezemolo admitted that Ferrari had been "affected psychologically"by Massa's crash, adding: "For many days, we were very worried for thepossible recovery of the man and then the driver."

Massa hascompleted a test in a 2007 Ferrari this week, and Di Montezemolo saidthe team "strongly believe he'll again be very, very quick".

Alonso will arrive at Ferrari with a reputation for being difficultto manage if the team does not focus on him - a legacy of histumultuous season as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate at McLaren in 2007.

But asked if Ferrari could handle such a dominant personality, Di Montezemolo said: "Yes we can manage him, for three reasons.

"First, I spoke about these elements with (team principal Stefano) Domenicali 1000 times, not 100, and I spoke with Alonso.

"Itold him: 'If you come to drive for us, because we want you, you drivefor a team, you drive for a group, you don't drive for yourself.

"Ifyou want a team, then you do your own team, fantastic, like JohnSurtees. In Ferrari we want to put you in the best condition to win. Ifnot, we will never hire you.

"We know that you can win thechampionship. We will do our best but you are part of it. I spoke withhim and he knows how to handle it.

"Second - and I'm proud for this - for many years, you have not seen any more polemics inside Ferrari.

"The only time was once with (Rubens) Barrichello when we asked himto (play second fiddle to Schumacher) but this was because Michael wasin condition to win the championship and sometimes this is important.

"But I am for team spirit, like in soccer, like in cycling. This is sport.

"Thethird reason is he's a very intelligent guy, very focused and heunderstands that even during the past, he made some mistakes, just asboth Michael and I have done in our lives."

In a wide-ranginginterview with a selection of British, Italian, Spanish and Germanjournalists, Di Montezemolo addressed a number of other topics.

Hebacked world champion Jenson Button's decision to join McLaren asHamilton's team-mate, saying: "Hamilton in McLaren is good motivationfor him".

He said he backed the current drive to cut costs inF1 - but that it should never become a championship where all the carswere close to identical, adding that Ferrari would stay in the sport"until Formula 1 isn't Formula 1".

He questioned some of thecurrent organisation of F1, saying the sport's stakeholders needed tolook into issues such as whether the races were too long, ticket priceswere too high, and its lack of engagement with the internet.

Andhe set out a vision for F1, which he believed "can play an importantrole for technology, ecology, environment, fuel consumption".

I'll be cheering for Webber and Vettel (Gotta love that Aussie/German combo) Kobayashi (I'll watch just to see if his driving style makes me interested in F1 again and to see how long into the season it takes for an announcer to say "Banzai" or something along those lines) and the US F1 team if they have any American drivers.

Guest Raving Rich

I'll be cheering for Webber and Vettel (Gotta love that Aussie/German combo) Kobayashi (I'll watch just to see if his driving style makes me interested in F1 again and to see how long into the season it takes for an announcer to say "Banzai" or something along those lines) and the US F1 team if they have any American drivers.

I don't think there's any American drivers with an FIA Super License, which is required to get an F1 Drive.

I don't think there's any American drivers with an FIA Super License, which is required to get an F1 Drive.

You just have to have applied for one. Alguesuari didn't get one until a few races after he drove but he was given provisional status to begin with.

Also for those of the American persuasion:

Additionally, drivers who have competed in the IndyCar Series are eligible for a Super Licence if they finished within the first six places of the drivers championship. This allows drivers from the United States domestic series to move into Formula One without first taking part in other FIA sanctioned events.

So I doubt it would be too much of an issue for them to bring in an Aemrican driver... Also Scott Speed only drove a couple of years ago, so I pretty much think your point is fairly inconsequential

I think Scott Speed is still signed with Red Bull Racing of NASCAR, I won't know the full details until we get closer to the start of the season in February.

And if what your saying about the IRL "Top 6" rule is correct (Not that I'm saying your wrong or anything) than these are the 6 drivers from last years IRL season that are eligible.

Dario Franchitti

Scott Dixon (Please let this happen, Dear god please let this happen)

Ryan Briscoe

Hélio Castroneves

Danica Patrick (*Shiver*)

Tony Kanaan

I heard last season when he was talking on the F1 forum with Coulthard, Brundle et al that he was hoping to be with US F1, but obviously that was a logn while ago, maybe as far back as August/September. The only reservations I have about Villeneuve being part of Sauber is that he was less than impressive when he last drove for them :/

• Admin

IIRC, the only American driver USF1 were considering was that female driver? And even that I think was for a test position.

Awesome news about Schumi. I have no idea what Di Montezemolo is on about though; I hate it when Italians try to be funny like that.

The Ferrari team has set up a new initiative aimed at finding and supporting young drivers on their way to Formula 1.

The programme, known as the Ferrari Driver Academy, will see a group of drivers selected and then supported throughout their careers, not only in racing, but also in their personal and professional development.

Ferrari factory-based engineer and former strategist Luca Baldisserri will be the man in charge of running the project, in which the Italian motorsport body, ACI-CSAI, will be an important contributor.

Formula 3 Euro Series champion Jules Bianchi has been the first driver selected for the programme, the Frenchman having already tested for the team at Jerez earlier this month.

"This programme has a very clear goal: to help youngsters develop to the point where, one day, they could fly the Ferrari flag in the Formula 1 World Championship," said Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali.

"We plan to take an original approach, covering every angle with them, so that they are as well prepared as possible to tackle every aspect of modern day motorsport."[

-autosport.com

Now common car launch in Valencia is now looking unlikely.

Don't want Schumacher back but I've been into all that before and it's looking likely to happen now so...

Next year will be interesting, I'll leave it at that. Not loving the refuelling ban, but we'll see how it works out. The new points system will be weird to get used to but it is a good move for the sport IMO and far better than Bernie's medals idea.

Seven-times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher will come out of retirement to race for Mercedes next year, BBC Sport understands.

The German, who will be 41 on 3 January, has signed a contract and the deal will be announced imminently.

Schumacher will partner compatriot Nico Rosberg in the team that won the drivers' and constructors' titles in 2009 in its former guise as Brawn.

His spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said she could not make any comment.

The German newspaper Bild is reporting that Schumacher signed a one-year deal and it is likely he will have the option to continue beyond 2010 if his returns goes well.

Schumacher will reportedly earn £6.2m after signing up to reunite with Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, who masterminded all seven of his titles, the first two with Benetton in 1994-5 and the subsequent five with Ferrari from 2000-4.

Mercedes are known to want German rising star Sebastian Vettel in the long term, but the 22-year-old is contracted to Red Bull until the end of 2012.

Schumacher was forced to call off a planned temporary comeback as a stand-in for injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa last season because of a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident last February.

But Schumacher is known to have had medical checks recently and it must be assumed he has been given the all clear as he would not want to face the same embarrassment again.

He signed a revised contract as a consultant for Ferrari, but he told Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo that he was "very close" to concluding a deal to race for Mercedes.

Ferrari have had to release him from his contract to enable him to race for Mercedes.

His comeback is the most high profile in F1 since Austrian Niki Lauda came out of a two-year retirement for the 1982 season to race for McLaren.

Lauda, who was 33 at the time, went on to win a third world title in 1984.

Juan Manuel Fangio is Formula 1's oldest world champion, the Argentine won a fifth world championship at the age of 46 before retiring.

Schumacher has been training hard in preparation for a return and, assuming his neck is fully healed, is not expected to have any problems with fitness.

His former team-mate Eddie Irvine told the BBC last week that he expected Schumacher would win races, even though he would not be as powerful a force as before.

"The speed will be there, though he won't be as fast as he was seven years ago," Irvine said.

"He's not at the peak of his game, but he's still good enough to win races as he has such an immense talent. It's still four wheels, a steering wheel and an engine and there's never been anyone better than Michael."

Irvine said he thought Schumacher would be at a disadvantage in wheel-to-wheel racing compared to the younger generation of drivers such as 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton.

"Lewis isn't going to back off, but Michael will have to because he'll be 41," Irvine said.

- BBC Sport.

YES!!!!

Well we've known for weeks now, haven't we?

Sport doesn't need him, he doesn't need it either. A fairly pointless return which I suppose he's only doing because he enjoys it. Fair enough, but I really, really hope it doesn't just become The Schumacher Show all over again, I got ridiculously bored of watching F1 when he and Ferrari just dominated every year, and the fact that the coverage always focused on either him or David Coulthard purely because he was British got highly annoying as well. I've never liked him, he's a cheat no matter how good a driver he is/was. I can't see him being anywhere near as good as he used to be, but I'm sure he won't be too far off the top. Hope Rosberg out-performs him tbh, it won't look good for him if he's being consistently beaten by a 41 year old, 7 World Titles or not.

So, a massive groan at this news from me, though I doubt I'm in the majority.

Well we've known for weeks now, haven't we?

Sport doesn't need him, he doesn't need it either. A fairly pointless return which I suppose he's only doing because he enjoys it. Fair enough, but I really, really hope it doesn't just become The Schumacher Show all over again, I got ridiculously bored of watching F1 when he and Ferrari just dominated every year, and the fact that the coverage always focused on either him or David Coulthard purely because he was British got highly annoying as well. I've never liked him, he's a cheat no matter how good a driver he is/was. I can't see him being anywhere near as good as he used to be, but I'm sure he won't be too far off the top. Hope Rosberg out-performs him tbh, it won't look good for him if he's being consistently beaten by a 41 year old, 7 World Titles or not.

So, a massive groan at this news from me, though I doubt I'm in the majority.

Right, I totally agree with everything you siad except for one thing. I am loving this news! :w00t:

It'll brinng more coverage to the sport, and I don't feel its going to be Schumacher and Mercedes ruling the world, and BBC's coverage is bound to be hogged by the most British team out there, Mclaren. For one I wanna see Schumacher race against Hamilton and two, Schumacher vs Alonso ANDFerrari is going to be fecking amazing, its going to be so intriguing :D.

Throw in to all of this Button, Massa's retunr from a near fatal accident, Four (hopefully) new teams the return of Mclaren and Ferrari to the front of the grid I think it could be one of the most wide open championships we have seen in ages, and the previous 3/4 seasons have been excellent. Just remember despite Ferrari's and Schumacher's year of dominance his final two years at Ferrari he was out classed by the young Spanaird in the Renault, so it doesn't mean he's a "Schu"-in (:shifty:) for the title.

No doubt it'll be interesting for all of those reasons, and I agree that it could well be the most open championships in years, but I believe we'd see just as exciting a season without Schumi. Besides, I already have a villain to aim my fury at, his name's Lewis Hamilton :shifty:

On another note, good to see reassurances from the USF1 team that they will be on the grid next season, I hope Bernie is proven wrong and all four new teams make it onto the grid.