Nine Inch Nails to sell 'hundreds of instruments' in eBay auction

Herr Matzat

Nine Inch Nails are selling their instruments, using an online auction site to demonstrate that their touring days are over. On eBay, the group has listed everything from a Fender bass to a banjo-guitar hybrid.

"We've been going through the NIN touring and studio rigs and getting rid of a large selection of gear and equipment the band is no longer in need of," it was announced on the Nine Inch Nails website. "We do not know which (if any) tour these items are from unless specified, nor can we get any items autographed, so please do not ask."

Though only 11 items have been listed so far, the band promise "hundreds of items" will be on sale over the coming weeks, including guitars, keyboards, amps, drums and effects pedals. Even some of the group's processing units and audio cables will be up for grabs.

Earlier this year, Trent Reznor revealed that Nine Inch Nails were "waving goodbye" to live gigs, focusing instead on studio work. "I've just reached the point ... where [touring] has invaded every other aspect of my life," he said. The band went on to play their "last ever" world tour.

Though most bands would mark such a decision by, er, doing nothing, Nine Inch Nails have long enjoyed an interactive relationship with fans. Reznor has given away albums, leaked professionally shot live footage, and was for a long time one of music's most candid Twitterers. If Nine Inch Nails are no longer using some of their equipment, it seems they would rather see it in the hands of fans than gathering dust in a warehouse.

Then again, rock-star gear can attract rock-star prices. Take the banjitar, a Gold Tone creation that combines the back-porch twang of a banjo with the tuning and string-count of an electric guitar. While a similar instrument retails on Amazon for $442 (£268), bidding on the Nine Inch Nails banjitar has already exceeded $1,200 (£728). It had better come with an extra set of strings.

Source

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/nov/30/nine-inch-nails-sell-instruments

The Auction

http://shop.ebay.com/ningear/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I want the Fragile album art guitar, looks pretty badass. Some of these items are up on the Chi Cheng (Deftones) benefit auction.

Pretty much confirms NIN is done, touring wise. Although, if that means more studio albums, producing, etc. from Trent and NIN, then I'm a happy camper. I've heard rumors of a collaboration with Gary Numan and Trent's wife.

Oh, and not related to this thread at all, but "Potions" by Puscifer on their new EP has a song writing credit for Trent, and the song was apparently a gift to Trent for his wedding.