I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!

Baddar

Of course Big Brother actually avoided what they claimed they were aiming towards by going to the edges of the society to build their own community in order to create as many possible flashpoints as possible...Especially as years went on.

If you look at the earlier series (at the time there was outrage at how "wacky" some contestants were) you realize how normal they actually are. BB1-4 especially. In fact it was 4 when Cameron won right? The "nice Christian guy" and then after that the BB Producers just went for as many outlandish characters as they could.

Shame as the first three were a good insight into how the public chose the "nice guy who stood up to the baddie", "the chipy gay Irish fella" and the "smiley everyone's girlie friend" in the third.

I still think the third series was the best series though and still find Alex to be by far and away the most agreeable contestant in the ten years. Just looking on wiki he voted for Jonny pretty much every week which is what I would have done too.

The reason people watch these shows, are to see pairings of celebrities that'd never happen.

I'm not sure that's true at all. Half the time when the line-ups are announced for this kind of show, practically everyone I know won't even be sure who half the contestants are. But they'll still watch it. It's got little to do with how celebrities interact with one another, it's just the national obsession with the minutiae of celebrities' personal lives - people want to know everything there is to know about someone, just because they're in the public eye, so they'll gladly spend six or seven hours a week watching them wash their dirty laundry - both literally and figuratively. I'm not immune to it, either, the only reason I have a Twitter account is because part of me enjoys seeing that people I admire have exceptionally boring lives.

Do you remember that advert with Alice Cooper and Ronnie Corbett? That's what the public want to see - what'd Ronnie and Alice actually have to talk about?

Golf.

Of course Big Brother actually avoided what they claimed they were aiming towards by going to the edges of the society to build their own community in order to create as many possible flashpoints as possible...Especially as years went on.

Oh of course, I'm not denying that - it's painfully obvious that's what they're doing, and that they do it to create conflict. But I'm saying they can't have it both ways - they can't claim that it's some kind of unedited look at human behaviour, only to swoop in and be all apologetic when they're reminded that, actually, human behaviour can be rather unpleasant - especially when they set up said conflict in the first place. It just amazes me that people are surprised that obnoxious idiot white person put in a house with obnoxious flamboyant black person or whatever would lead to a race issue - it's because people like to pretend that kind of thing doesn't exist any more, and don't like to see it blow up like that.