Brock Lesnar May Never Fight Again

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

From Meltzer:

Brock Lesnar is in extremely bad shape and there are questions as to whether he will ever fight again.

Lesnar, 32, is in far worse shape than he has been letting on. He went to Canada last week to try to get some rest, collapsed, and was rushed to the hospital. He has mono and also something else that he doesn't want to get out, and all we now is that he does not have cancer and he does not have AIDS. It is, however, extremely serious and he will not be fighting again for a long, long time, if he is able to fight again.

Dana White is heading to Minnesota tonight and will be working to get Lesnar to the Mayo Clinic or equivalent medical facility for treatment.

Also, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has a staph infection and his fight with Cain Velasquez at UFC 108 is off. Nogueira will need an IV to hopefully get the infection out. He is also in bad shape.

With Lesnar out indefinitely, Shane Carwin will be undergoing knee surgery, so he will not be available to face Velasquez at UFC 108.

We can also report that Shane McMahon had a meeting at the UFC offices recently. Dana White, when asked for more information, responded, "No comment."

Guest Mr. Potato Head

From a business perspective, this is obviously horrible for UFC in the short-term, but might be a good thing in the long run. Yes, Brock is far and away their biggest draw, but he'd looked so dominant in all his prior fights that everybody was expecting heavyweight to go the same way every division but 205 had gone where the champ was dominant and the challengers were all clearly a level below him. If nothing else, this allows for Carwin, Velasquez, Dos Santos etc. to be pushed as legitimate top-tier heavyweights and have "how would they fare against Lesnar" left to the realm of fantasy booking - otherwise, Lesnar would beat everybody for a few years, retire, and suddenly nobody would care about the HW division because the guys on top weren't as good as the best guy.

Big Nog's staph infection is huge news in itself, because that's what, the fourth main event for 108 that's been cancelled? Evans/Rampage, Silva/Belfort, Lesnar/Carwin, and now this. And Carwin's getting surgery to top it all off. I'm more interested in the heavyweight injured reserve than the rest of the division, frankly.

And something tells me there's a lot to the Shane McMahon thing - his resignation seemed like he knew where he was headed, I don't know why he'd pull a Kurt Angle and meet with UFC for no reason other than to throw people off.

Wow that's some awful news. The champion, the top challenger, and another top challenger are all out. I assume they will hold Velasquez off from facing anyone else because who else could they put him in there with? The only thing I can think of, if they want to get an interim champion out there, is to remove Kongo and put Velasquez in with Mir for an interim title fight at 108. When Carwin returns, he faces the interim champion. Nog gets someone else and the winner of that gets the next shot?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

this is horrible, horrible news. :( is there like no information on what's wrong with him at all?

Dana White knows, but Lesnar's asked to keep it confidential and Dana agreed. Not really any of our business anyhow.

• Like 1

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/lesnars-career-may-over-1095826/

This might be the dumbest thread in the history of the internet, unsurprisingly it comes from Sherdog.

Pffft... FAKE :shifty:

I love this quote:

Fake, you can tell by the spelling mistakes, poor grammar and overall poor writing skills.

That would be Meltzer's writing style. :P

I loved that too. Just to add something while it was a dumb thread at least it made me smile and didn't make me want to scream at my laptop for everyone being a fucktard

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Notes from a Bryan Alvarez solo radio show about five hours ago:

-Whatever Lesnar has that he doesn't want to get out, it is not life-threatening.

-I was completely wrong about Shane McMahon, he just wanted out of WWE and didn't know where he was going to go. Based on Dana's comments about getting Ultimate Fighter going in seemingly every country (see MMAjunkie for more), it really seems like UFC needs somebody to head up global media, which was Shane's job in WWE...

Could WWE have bought UFC secretly allowing both to operate under an umbrella company?

There would be no gains for Shane in UFC, he already earned a fortune and was allowed to do pretty much what he wanted in the WWE. He surely wouldn't want to join a company to be the top dog instead of the second dog, a company which is technically WWE's biggest competitor regarding target audience.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Could WWE have bought UFC secretly allowing both to operate under an umbrella company?

There would be no gains for Shane in UFC, he already earned a fortune and was allowed to do pretty much what he wanted in the WWE. He surely wouldn't want to join a company to be the top dog instead of the second dog, a company which is technically WWE's biggest competitor regarding target audience.

There is absolutely no way UFC would sell to WWE. Many reasons, including that it calls into question the possibility of match-fixing.

Maybe he sees UFC as a legacy thing - it's already bigger than WWE, and arguably hasn't hit its peak yet - he'd never get the chance to run WWE, so why not try making a name for himself by running something that's even bigger? If the plans for huge international expansion go through, Shane would probably get the credit - maybe he thinks he can be a Dana White-like figure in the markets where UFC is currently unknown.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I think anyone that doesn't believe match fixing has happened in the UFC is fooling themselves :)

I'll give you MMA, especially in Japan and probably even with Kimbo/Petruzelli, but I'm not so sure it's happened in UFC beyond "if we put these two together, this is what should happen". But a WWE-owned UFC would see that mindset go from being held by fringe elements like yourself to a fairly widespread perception, sort of like how people suggested the XFL might have been rigged.

• Like 1