Dragon Age: Origins

apsham

Yeah, I was eyeing up the Dalish as well - sounds like a decent little back-story with the "chance encounter with an ancient relic" and all. I'm thinking I'll either go Dalish Mage or City Rogue to start with. If I get bored of that, I'll just go a Dwarven Warrior and give the Darkspawn a good kicking, fella.

At this point, I'm just hoping the DLC that comes with the Collector's Edition is actually viable, seeing as the code you use to download it has an expiration date of April 30th >_>. Both the Regular and Collector's edition were the same price, so it's not that big of a kick in the arse either way, but it's just the principle of the thing...I want my crazy-amazing downloadable Blood Dragon Armour, damnit! dry.gif

I went for human but I always tend to start with human.

In Oblivion I went for a Nord, seeing as they were the most Viking-like of the options.

Thing is, it doesn't make THAT much difference in Oblivion while in Dragon Age I have a feeling that I'm missing some good storyline stuff.

I like being a Dalish Elf and being a right asshole to everyone I meet. >_> It's fun trying to balance being an asshole out with being relatively "good" because I want my character and Alistair to hook up.

There are a a few nice little additions. For example, I'll try not to spoil it, but at one point you meet up with a certain character who's crucial to the plot of the story in Redcliffe and if you chose to start as a Mage, you'll already know the character. Same with if you start as a Dwarf, when you return to Orzammar there'll be extra bits of dialogue and I think you know a few of the characters. There are some parts that are a little big (and others that aren't), but it doesn't really change the story that much.

Also, for anyone thinking of getting DarkSpawn Chronicles, is it any good? I had a quick look, but from what I can tell it's basically just the battle in Denerim, except you play as DarkSpawn instead of humans. Which would be kinda cool, not like £5 cool though.

I think I'm going to have to play this through again. I do love Dragon Age. I'll probably play as bitchy Dalish Elf, as I need to do all of the Evil trophies. (Though, on the sucky side, I also need to get a few characters that I haven't yet and a few different endings and I can't really do that on an Evil playthrough.)

Quick question - What's everyone's favourite moment/quest? Mine is easily the Broodmother. One of the creepiest and more inventive bosses in the entire game.

The Broodmother was pretty cool, aye.

Riordan, Arch Daemon. Nuff said? In fact, just... Riordan. Full stop.

"FOR FERELDEN! FOR THE GREY WARDENS!" The fact that Alistair's Crowning Moment of Awesome is a speech, with words in it and everything, is probably itself a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

• 3 months later...

57 game play hours later and I have finished this thing. What an epic journey. I have downloaded the Awakening expansion, and intend to get the other DLC too.

And in response to Reil's post - yes, Riorden + Archdemon = Badass cut scene.

And whilst I'm here...

I'm on playthrough #2, about 3/4 of the way through after playing through the first game and Awakening. I'm over 100 hours in total, which might make this the most played game I've ever played since Chrono Trigger.

Which characters have you ended up playing through as? And who is your main party consisted of?

On my first play through I went with male Dalish Elf Rogue. For the last part of the game my part included Alistair, Wynne and Ohgren.

First playthrough I was a female city elf rogue (which is the best Origin story I've seen so far). My party was usually Alistair, Morrigan and Leliana.

This time around I'm a male mage, and my party is pretty diverse this time around. Leliana's usually around again because I need someone to pick locks, but the other two spots rotate pretty frequently.

Probably like the first five or so hours of the game, I hated it because I had no idea what I was doing, but once you get into it, it's one of the most addicting games I've ever played. It's total Tolkien-style fantasy - dwarves use axes, elves use bow & arrows, humans use swords - and while it doesn't reinvent the wheel, the world is extremely detailed, the story is engaging and the characters are quite a fun cast. I can't stop playing the damn thing.

I forgot how good this is. I've started over a shit ton of times and now intend to properly play, I've always based my decisions on rules I set at the start (understandably racist elf rogue, uberhero human warrior doing the right thing etc) and this time I just went with what I wanted and felt right, it made it way more fun. I chose a female elf intending to do a city origin as a mage before realising that the mages can only be on that backstory, but I stuck to it because I wanted a magi. Done the backstory, done Ostagar and I've just been allowed onto the world map again. Now to play the game proper!