BEST TV comedies

I'm just going to stick with what is on now. The show that I really enjoy right now is Community. I really think its one of the best comedies on television right now. I highly recommend everyone checks it out. The last episode in particular was just hilarious.

Other than those already mentioned:

Malcolm in the Middle (seems to be unfairly overlooked for some reason)

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Phoenix Nights

The Larry Sanders Show

Hung

15 Storeys High

Flight of the Conchords

Summer Heights High

We Can Be Heroes/The Nominees

Outnumbered

Getting On

And I'll mention I'm Alan Partridge, since only Skummy listed that. Watched it again recently and it's consistently brilliant.

I love the British Whose Line Is It Anyway after series 1 at least cos Tony Slattery was in that first series far too much.

Replace Tony Slattery with John Sessions and I agree with you.

Might be a little confused there Hamster, it was John Sessions in the first season all the time (Y)

I remember seeing the one with Fry and Peter Cook. It just seemed weird seeing Stephen Fry doing improv and Peter Cook being there. Although I can't say I found John Sessions all that funny in Whose Line. He's brilliant when appearing on QI (though as is Vic Reeves).

Who's Line is It Anyway!? is one of those shows I watched when I was a child and loved. I tended to watch a lot of such shows because I have older much older siblings.

Might be a little confused there Hamster, it was John Sessions in the first season all the time (Y)

I remember seeing the one with Fry and Peter Cook. It just seemed weird seeing Stephen Fry doing improv and Peter Cook being there. Although I can't say I found John Sessions all that funny in Whose Line. He's brilliant when appearing on QI (though as is Vic Reeves).

Who's Line is It Anyway!? is one of those shows I watched when I was a child and loved. I tended to watch a lot of such shows because I have older much older siblings.

I've basically been working my way through the UK series from the first episode on when I have the time at work, and yeah, the Fry and Cook episode is a little surreal, especially because it's early on. Fry's a pretty solid Whose Line contestant, though.

The problem with John Sessions is he's funny but too much of him and his improv schtick wears thin. He can do a lot of things but they all end the same way ("and now I'm going to describe the thing and person I am impersonating my god aren't they so stupid"). So having him on every episode of the first series got tiresome by the time it was winding down even if he had a lot of great moments even then. Having the same contestant/contestants in every episode is a pretty poor idea (as the US series especially proves), but even then there are people who were appearing at the same time who I would have much sooner seen in every episode than Sessions (Josie Lawrence and, even if Hamster disagrees, Tony Slattery both come to mind immediately).

Whenever I've tried to watch The Good Life - which has admittedly been maybe twice ever - I've sat there waiting for some kind of humour beyond the basic (and not particularly amusing) "aren't these self-sufficient types all rather odd" premise to strike me...but it never has. Am I missing something? :/

Whenever I've tried to watch The Good Life - which has admittedly been maybe twice ever - I've sat there waiting for some kind of humour beyond the basic (and not particularly amusing) "aren't these self-sufficient types all rather odd" premise to strike me...but it never has. Am I missing something? :/

The episode where they all get drunk and Margot and Tom nearly get it on. Good stuff man.

It's not belly-laugh funny but it's more along the "gentle charm" comedy which is perfect on a Sunday evening when you're depressed.

Also, Felicity Kendal's character is excellent cos you feel (and it's constantly hinted) that under all those "self sufficient farming clothes" she's a total goer.

EDIT: I'm also gonna stand up for Keeping Up Appearances which gets better with every viewing, much like One Foot In The Grave.

The episode where they all get drunk and Margot and Tom nearly get it on. Good stuff man.

It's not belly-laugh funny but it's more along the "gentle charm" comedy which is perfect on a Sunday evening when you're depressed.

Also, Felicity Kendal's character is excellent cos you feel (and it's constantly hinted) that under all those "self sufficient farming clothes" she's a total goer.

EDIT: I'm also gonna stand up for Keeping Up Appearances which gets better with every viewing, much like One Foot In The Grave.

Man, One Foot In The Grave used to be awesome back in the day. Talking of the old programmes, I'd probably throw Birds Of A Feather in, which barely ever gets mentioned but was just brilliantly awesome.

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Only Fools and Horses and The Young Ones. Throw Bottom in there as well and they're probably up there as my top three favourites. And although not really one of my all time favourites, it's hard to not show some love for Steptoe and Son and On The Buses, they need more love here.

I love Snuff Box. Great stuff.

Also...how have I gone this far in life unaware of a Peter Cook and Stephen Fry appearance on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, this is brilliance.