Super Six - World Boxing Classic

Herr Matzat

Hey Guys, is anyone elth checking out this atempt to save Boxing?

It´s sort of the Champions League of Boxing. Six fighters in two groups. 3 Points for a KO win, two Points for a Win and one for a Draw. The four best Boxers enter the Semi Finales.

The first fight is about to start in Berlin in a few Minutes, the next one is later on tonight in the USA.

More English Info on Showtimes Homepage.

http://sports.sho.com/world-boxing-classic.html

The German Chanel has don a Terrible job promoting this event.

Oh my God, Abraham is entering to the scorpions playing live. No live Michael jackson for the other guy though..... i like that they are trying to put up a show and a "bigger" ring intro, but to bad that it´s only for the "hometown" guy.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Werrent there big complains about no/almost no big fights being left?

Oh well, i don´t know, i like the idea, i hope it gives things a bit more of an edge. I like that a KO gets a litte extra and loosing is not a "carere ender" anymore.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Jermaine Taylor has somewhat of a name for beating Bernard Hopkins, but he lost 3 of his last 4 before tonight, and now it's 4 of his last five (4 losses on his career if that tells you where he is at at this stage). Froch is by far the favorite to take this down, and there aren't too many fights that make me go, "Oh, I HAVE to watch this." Just more of a.... meh, feeling. Love the concept and idea, just won't watch this particular incarnation.

Andre Dirrell took it to Carl Froch from bell to bell, winning 10 rounds on my scorecard and by a score of 117-110 on Scott Christ's card. Froch looked completely outclassed for most of the fight, resorting at various points to throwing Andre to the ground, holding and hitting, hitting after the bell, hitting on the break, headlocks, and elbows. However, despite all of this referee Hector Afu saw fit to never deduct a point from Froch but instead to deduct from Dirrell for excessive holding. After the final bell the fact that the fight was being contested in Froch's home country of England sat in the back of my mind as heavy as Gary Shaw after a trip to the all-you-can-eat buffet. The official scores were read and it was Froch whose hand was raised after a split decision.

This sucked most of the enjoyment out of the tournament for me. This was supposed to represent something bigger. This was the best fighting the best in an effort to help bring legitimacy to boxing. What we got though was just more of the same old junk in a fancy looking package.

-BloodyElbow.com

It was an odd fight to watch or describe, as it was dirtier than all hell, with a referee that could not keep control of the fight. I truly, truly feel Dirrell won the fight, and rather dominantly so. Froch rambled after the fight about Dirrell not being a warrior and standing and fight, but Dirrell landed much better shots than he did, and frankly made him look like a second-rate fighter. Dirrell showed his entire range of skills, and though Andre was not clear of any wrongdoing tonight (he held a lot, and sometimes blatantly so), he was far less dirty out there than Froch.

-BadLeftHook.com

Nice to see the tournament off to a good start... :rolleyes:

I think Dirrell may have done enough to win the fight, but definitely not by that kind of margin. Many of the rounds were close, and Froch was certainly not outclassed to the extent that this writer suggests. I had Dirrell winning by two rounds, one after taking the deducted point into account.

Furthermore, both fighters seemed to use equally dirty tactics, with neither man any guiltier of hitting on the break or holding and hitting than the other. To summarise, while I think that a fair case could be made for a Dirrell victory, the case to award Froch the victory has sufficient merit as well, and this writer seems to be a little too biased towards the American for my liking.

Andre Dirrell took it to Carl Froch from bell to bell, winning 10 rounds on my scorecard and by a score of 117-110 on Scott Christ's card. Froch looked completely outclassed for most of the fight, resorting at various points to throwing Andre to the ground, holding and hitting, hitting after the bell, hitting on the break, headlocks, and elbows. However, despite all of this referee Hector Afu saw fit to never deduct a point from Froch but instead to deduct from Dirrell for excessive holding. After the final bell the fact that the fight was being contested in Froch's home country of England sat in the back of my mind as heavy as Gary Shaw after a trip to the all-you-can-eat buffet. The official scores were read and it was Froch whose hand was raised after a split decision.

This sucked most of the enjoyment out of the tournament for me. This was supposed to represent something bigger. This was the best fighting the best in an effort to help bring legitimacy to boxing. What we got though was just more of the same old junk in a fancy looking package.

-BloodyElbow.com

It was an odd fight to watch or describe, as it was dirtier than all hell, with a referee that could not keep control of the fight. I truly, truly feel Dirrell won the fight, and rather dominantly so. Froch rambled after the fight about Dirrell not being a warrior and standing and fight, but Dirrell landed much better shots than he did, and frankly made him look like a second-rate fighter. Dirrell showed his entire range of skills, and though Andre was not clear of any wrongdoing tonight (he held a lot, and sometimes blatantly so), he was far less dirty out there than Froch.

-BadLeftHook.com

Nice to see the tournament off to a good start... :rolleyes:

That's the funniest report I may have EVER read. Dirrell was absolutely shit. Actually, shit would be too much of a nice word to describe him. All he did was try to avoid Froch the entire fight and hold onto him for half the fight, which is why Froch threw him to the ground from a clinch out of frustration. Froch certainly didn't look at his best, but Dirrell just bored the hell out of me and it only looked like Froch wanted to make that into a fight.