General Television Thread

Hellfire

Finally finished season 3 of From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series tonight, and it was a really fun right all thirty episodes. It was silly, it managed to somehow take itself serious and revel in its ridiculousness at the same time. The chemistry between characters were just on point, and it never really exposed itself as a cheap series.

The end of the finale left me a bit cold because it was just the way it was written, but the series as a whole just scratched that itch that Supernatural has failed to do for so long. It felt more concentrated, more 'serious' in a way, and in general just fresher. The whole 'Robert Rodriguez' sauce that was slathered on it from top to bottom helped make it feel unique in that gunslingery kind of way.

I'd dare say that it has been one of the best low-budget niché shows made in the past years. It looked good, it didn't overstretch its budget, and it quickly established that there was going to be ridiculous stuff in there which meant such things never felt out of place.

If you liked Supernatural, and want something that looks/feels better produced and focusing on crazy vampire serpents. Or just want a pulpy action show with acting and chemistry that has no right being as good as it was, this is a show you'll have no regrets watching.

In hindsight the first season was a bit of a bore, because it started out as a 'post-heist on-the-lamb' show before it devolved into the craziness after the halfway mark. But even that it did very well.

7 hours ago, Baddar said:

My fiancee watched the first 5 episodes of Stranger Things and asked me to catch up so that we could watch the rest together. I told her I'd manage a couple yesterday and get caught up when I can.

Four and a half hours later, I'd watched all 5 and now I can't wait to watch the rest with her. Not sure if it slows down much during the rest of season 1 but it's been such an easy watch.

It's one of the few things we've ever actually binge watched together. Got through each season in about a week each which is practically unheard of in this house. 

25 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Now TV have added the SyFy Channel to the OnDemand service, meaning I can finally check out that Blood Drive thing you lot were banging on about.

Every week I put a note in to Netflix to add it to their catalogue in the vague hopes they pick it up for a second series. I miss that show way too much, TV needs more ridiculous grindhouse stuff.

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

Now TV have added the SyFy Channel to the OnDemand service, meaning I can finally check out that Blood Drive thing you lot were banging on about.

Honestly, it is such a daft show. You really need to turn your brain off for the first episode and just let it happen.

I hope it'll be a prequel (must be, right?), and i'm excited about the prospect of it. The vague but intriguing lore behind all the things surrounding 'the life' have always lent themselves to a larger universe around it. The gold coins, the blood bonds, and all those people in the know from seamstresses to cops.

I also wonder if Lance Reddick and Ian McShane play roles in the show, because they have pretty prominent roles in the film franchise.

13 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I hope it'll be a prequel (must be, right?), and i'm excited about the prospect of it.

We'll have to know how the third movie ends I guess to really gauge but it could be before, during or after since it's about the hotel more than John Wick proper. 

I would not at all be surprised if Reddick ends up being the focus of the series. McShane would probably recur if he sticks around American Gods.

Edited by livid

I'm really curious how they work Sarah in since she's the one not playing Becky. 

Since it came on UK Netflix I have been rewatching Friends for the first time in what is probably the longest time since it first aired. It's aged surprisingly well for a show almost a quarter of a century old. There's the to be expected "gay/trans panic" stuff from the guys, but it's still really funny to me, and I think having watched it on first airing makes it easier for me to digest a lot of it.

• Like 2