General Television Thread

Hellfire

30 minutes ago, Santa with Benjles said:

Yeah, damn, that Sherlock was so bad I almost wish the rest of the series didn't happen retroactively*. Ignoring a massive cliffhanger to follow up with that shit was just Dexter finale levels of bad.

*I don't actually wish this, it's hyperbole.

Yeah the way they dealt with that cliffhanger was an egregious slap in the face to the audience, hated the whole thing. Not quite as bad as Dexter but yeah, very poor.

4 hours ago, Jerichristmas said:

Aww man, I forgot all about Unfortunate Events when I voted, that was way better than Iron Fist which I gave a token last place since I couldn't think of fuck all else.

You better not have let it sneak in to the list! :angry: I left off a ton of shows I loved in favor of voting for stuff that hopefully bumps them up the list because other people voted for them.

5 hours ago, WOKEN Cloudy said:

I've had 13 Reasons Why on my queue for forever and still haven't watched it. 

No, don't. It's genuinely, genuinely awful and deals horribly with depression. It was disgusting. I fucking hate that show more than Iron Fist.

Some idiot better not have voted for it in the EWB TV Show list because that might make me incredibly fucking upset.

She's a standout, and I definitely wasn't expecting her to be so good in it. Briga Heelan is really good too, I love how quirky she is. Reminds me so much of Tina Fey in 30 Rock, but better.

I could do without Andrea Martin, though, if I'm being honest.

On 12/29/2017 at 17:40, tristy said:

She's a standout, and I definitely wasn't expecting her to be so good in it. Briga Heelan is really good too, I love how quirky she is. Reminds me so much of Tina Fey in 30 Rock, but better.

I could do without Andrea Martin, though, if I'm being honest.

Not surprised. I thought she was the weakest part of SCTV back in the day.

The latest episode was a real grind to get through, just because her character is super unbearable. The episode was basically centered on her relationship with her own mother. It had some funny moments, and she does have good lines and delivery throughout this episode and the entire series, but I just couldn’t dig it. Lost interest towards the end.

Ohhh! I started the Carmichael Show on Netflix and shame on NBC for cancelling this. So fucking funny, and I like how each episode deals with a serious subject but doesn’t venture into “after school special” territory.

The cruelest thing with the Carmichael Show is that it got cancelled right before Tiffany Haddish broke out in Girls Trip. I mean, she was the least-essential member of that cast (she doesn't even show up in a bunch of episodes, I guess because they didn't have ideas for her character), but it still feels like what might have happened if The Office was cancelled after season 1 just before 40 Year-Old Virgin came out and made Steve Carell a star.

I was guilty of failing to keep up with it partway through the second season, but it's one of the best uses of the live studio audience sitcom format in ages.

EDIT: On the Mindhunter front, I'm like two episodes away from being done. I like it but I also find it really dry and academic, in part because Holden is the lead and "dry and academic" is The Holden Story. The most recent one I watched, though, was the one about the school principal and I loved all of that.

10 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The cruelest thing with the Carmichael Show is that it got cancelled right before Tiffany Haddish broke out in Girls Trip. I mean, she was the least-essential member of that cast (she doesn't even show up in a bunch of episodes, I guess because they didn't have ideas for her character), but it still feels like what might have happened if The Office was cancelled after season 1 just before 40 Year-Old Virgin came out and made Steve Carell a star.

You talking about Boo Boo Jeffries?!

• Like 1

Didn't it get cancelled because NBC and Carmichael/whoever else couldn't come to terms on a renewal for a long time, and he leaked the news early that he was leaving the show anyway? I think it could find a home on Netflix, but I'd assume they already reached out to them when they were shopping Season 4 around to different places. If not, huge oversight on their part, I think it'd be a big hit there, since their other adult orientated sitcom in The Ranch is probably going to die a horrible death now.

----

Why didn't anyone tell me The West Wing was so good? I'm only on episode 4 but fuck it's really, really good. Where has this show been all my life? I remember my parents watching it when I was younger - sorta like Friends in that sense, something old that my parents watch when I was younger, and now I'm picking it up and enjoying it like they did.