General Television Thread

Hellfire

Just now, livid said:

To be fair, that's like 90% of his career. 

True. But then he does something like Locke and he was fantastic in that. Or he can do cheeky Cockney like in Rock n' Rolla.

I really need to start watching season 4, by the way. Just so little time for that, why release a new season so close to the holidays, it's so annoying.

I've actually got so much stuff to even start. Trollhunters and the Crown both came out a week after the other, which is why Netflix is an idiot. Peaky Blinders and AoS have to start around now as well, the shits.

Not keen on the first new episode of League of Gentlemen.

There was a token effort to subvert a couple of sketches - Pauline at the Job Centre, in particular, though that equally just felt like an excuse to drag that format back to where it started - but mostly, any attempt to update any of the characters felt forced and clumsy, and attempting to make Barbara in particular more relevant and up-to-date has only taken her from being an absurd character to a clumsy, quite offensive stereotype. That it ended with a gratuitous Inside No 9 reference just felt unbearably smug. Edward & Tubbs being positioned to fight against an outside agency infringing on Royston Vasey is pretty much the exact same story as "New Road" in the first series, and I'd put money on the photobooth eating people (if that's going to be a recurring bit) being connected to Papa Lazarou.

They're smart enough that they might subvert expectations more as the show goes on, and they wanted to hook people with familiarity, but I'm not optimistic based on this episode.

So the folks from The Office are caught up in the scandal of their paper company trying to cut down a forest in Pawnee which gets national attention and allows the Parks and Rec folks to reach out to Hollywood to do a one-off charity special to save the park. Add in-jokes about specials being a cheap cash grab and plenty of jokes at the current US government's treatment of the EPA and the politicians in general.

Done.

* I have only watched Parks & Rec so if any of this is wrong then blame Hulu for keeping all their shit on there as we don't get that in the UK

• Like 3

I know I'd inevitably get lured into watching an Office revival for at least a couple episodes but god, no. Please don't. They miraculously ended on a high note after an abysmal penultimate season and a just kind of watchable final season.

• Like 1

My feelings are that if they bring it back, I'll not mind so much because they cocked up so much of that last 2/3 seasons already that they couldn't really ruin it for me. The drop-off in quality after "Niagara" and the subsequent departure of Steve Carell is really bad, which I found even more so on a re-watch I did this year after buying the full boxset.

I watched every bit of The Ranch this past weekend. It's not that bad, actually. I know a bunch of those characters from people I've interacted with in my life, so it was kind of funny. Kutcher's character is an insufferable asshole man-child, Elliott's character is your typical gruff redneck grandfather/dad figure you'd find in the deep South, his wife is pretty selfish too but their in a loveless marriage, Cuthbert's character is basically every white trash turned girl done good that I've known that will drop it all for a POS ex-boyfriend. There's only two (maybe three counting Sam Elliott) people on this show that aren't complete jerks. One of them is a younger girl that Kutcher's character hooks up with. She's got nothing going for her in her personal life, and falls for the guy that has "life experience" (I use that term loosely) and naturally gets her heart broken and tragedy (and some comedy) ensues.

It's pretty cool because Wilmer Valderrama, Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp all make recurring guest appearances, so it's like a That 70s Show reunion. That was pretty neat and a welcome surprise.

You'll notice I'm leaving out Danny Masterson's character, and there's a reason for it. His is actually the most sympathetic on the entire show, which is painful to say. There's a lot of uncomfortable sex jokes made about him, and most coming from him, that really don't hit well knowing what he's accused of doing. But the character on the show is totally the best person of the entire family, and breaks his back to keep his family happy and together. I liked him the most out of the 4 "parts" of this show that are on Netflix, but it's really tainted by his personal life because that's all you think about when he makes a sexual joke about another female.

I'll watch Part 5 - I guess - but (and I hate to say this) it won't be the same show without Masterson's character on it. It'll just be full of shitty fictional people with horrible motives and that have made bad life choices, and Sam Elliott. Which, I guess it's an accurate depiction of life. Everyone is a bit shit in their own way, except Sam Elliott.

EDIT: Also, it's so weird hearing people say curse words on a sitcom that has a laugh track.

Edited by tristy
  • Like 2