General Television Thread

Hellfire

That entire episode may have been my favourite of the series. Hilarious, clever without being too ridiculous, and just generally showing the great chemistry that the show's cast shares. Loving Mary, and hoping she'll be in it for a good long while. Pure speculation below, but potential spoiler to those who haven't seen any of series three yet.

I'm wondering if Moriarty wasn't really the guy we've seen kill himself and that the mysterious man we've seen watching Watson is the real Moriarty who was using someone else.

Seriously, spoilers.

In a thirty second trailer which I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhjIsu7n6bI

The mysterious man is likely the mentioned Charles Augustus Magnussen. Probably means more to people who are familiar with Conan Doyle's work. Is he meant to be some super-mastermind thing? I always knew Moriarty as Holmes' nemesis, so to speak, so I'm not sure what makes this guy a bigger threat.

I forgot that we have two new late night shows to look forward to in 2014. Hoping Fallon's transition to The Tonight Show is permanent, and there's a no takesies-backsies clause in the contract so Leno can't come in again.

There won't be. Different people running NBC now than when the Leno/Conan stuff happened. Incidentally, the guy in charge at the time (Jeff Zucker) now runs CNN and is reportedly interested in bringing Leno into the fold.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmgJ2TE66g

Someone uploaded the episode of Late Night with Conan O'Brien that was done in front of an audience comprised entirely of kids. It's great.

• Like 2

There won't be. Different people running NBC now than when the Leno/Conan stuff happened. Incidentally, the guy in charge at the time (Jeff Zucker) now runs CNN and is reportedly interested in bringing Leno into the fold.

Not to mention, Jay Leno doesn't have a guaranteed $40 million contract that pays him whether he's on the air or not. Also, hopefully Jimmy Fallon got a time slot guarantee in his contract.

I keep meaning to ask this as I watch through The Office again. What's the deal with the crazy amounts of hour long episodes that randomly pop up one season? I swear there's like, 4 or 5 hour long episodes in a row. Was there a reason for that? Just sheer popularity and lack of other programming?

It came at a time when the show was at its peak in popularity and Jeff Zucker's mantra was always "MORE MORE MORE" of what was already working instead of developing anything else. That's where the whole "Supersized" episode nonsense came from that confused people to no end.

But yeah, Season 4 started off with four straight hour long episodes and those episodes weren't very good. They would try to have two episodes with one (with the B and/or C stories being different to differentiate them) and one overlapping story but they just didn't work.

I don't think there's any episode I just don't like between season 2 and... well, pretty much up to Michael leaving. There's parts I didn't enjoy as much in episodes and stories that weren't so interesting, but overall it stayed pretty solid for a good while. The DeAngelo stuff in the last season wasn't amazing, I'd rather they'd just introduced a new boss post-Michael, but even then at it's worst it was just meh rather than "wow, this is bad".