General Television Thread

Hellfire

Definitely stick through Season 1 (which gets gradually better after episode 2), so you can watch and fully appreciate a strong Season 2.

Oh, and those names I mentioned do not appear in the first 2 seasons, which is why I'm excited to see them in that trailer.

Guest Owned by Quickquid

I was sort of enjoying the last ep of The Newsroom in the sense of "so that's what Sorkin wants everyone to know before the election", but then that ending. Good lord.

EDIT: I was talking about the Jim/Maggie scene. Which isn't actually the ending. Apparently there's still another 20 minutes to go. :shifty:

I watched the latest couple of Supernatural episodes last night (UK airing) back to back.

The show is far better when Sam and Dean take on individual cases in each one. The first 3 or 4 episodes were unimpressive. Loved Jo's little cameo, too!

I thought the exact opposite on this week's episode. I miss Cas and Bobby, they've developed a natural cast, and to take them away this season (from what I gather) is a let down to me. This season has really plodded along so far.

Castiel disappeared a few episodes ago for reasons I won't spoil for others, but he'll be back. Bobby is awesome and has featured in each episode until now. He's always popped in and out.

It has been plodding though, but it does that when they follow one big story through most of the season. Doing it this way is far better, so I hope it continues.

I just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights. Now, I heard that season two was pretty much abysmal and was wondering from people who have seen it: Should I just look on Wikipedia to see what happened and move onto season 3, or should I just watch season 2?

Guest Owned by Quickquid

Whoever said season two is "abysmal" hasn't watched actual abysmal TV. It's just not nearly as good as season one with some bizarre storyline choices.

Not counting the one that gets paid off like five years later on an AMC show.

Wife wants to watch the pilot for The New Normal.

I am watching the pilot for The New Normal.

Spoilers: same Ryan Murphy show as any other Ryan Murphy show. Barely anyone is tolerable as people and it's shot using 600 cameras cutting at all times. Character development is done in sentences and scenes, not shows and seasons.

Spoilers: same Ryan Murphy show as any other Ryan Murphy show. Barely anyone is tolerable as people and it's shot using 600 cameras cutting at all times. Character development is done in sentences and scenes, not shows and seasons.

That's the one with the gay dads, right?

That's the one with the gay dads, right?

Yep. The pilot is on Hulu (likely just for 'muricans), but it's the same show that will air on Sept. 11th, 9:30 EST on NBC. There are some likeable characters, but it's pretty much by default. Short Girl and I agreed that this is Ryan Murphy's answer to New Girl, as it features a lot of those awkward pauses and sometimes over-the-top scenes. The only cast members of real note are Ellen Barkin (as the female lead's grandmother) and Andrew Rannells (whom you One Piece Mansion fans may remember) as one half of the gay couple.

I'm sure people here will like it, but I am not the target demographic. This has all of Ryan Murphy's writing and directing tendencies firmly entrenched into its being. If you like New Girl, Glee, or the dialogue/jump cutting of American Horror Story, you'll like The New Normal. Me? I'll patiently wait for South Park's return in a few weeks.

Yeah, I'm starting to look at the pilots for the shows that actually look remotely interesting to me. The Mindy Project was first (promising!), Revolution will probably be watched when my boss goes on her lunch break.

I'm definitely intrigued by where they go from here with Revolution but I hate the fact that you can basically watch the trailers they released a couple months ago and barely miss anything from the Pilot. Like I said, it's definitely intriguing though. I just hope it doesn't end up like every other high concept, big budget network show in the last few years.