General Television Thread

Hellfire

Well, I loved the first two seasons. After that, everything just went downhill though and now I barely care. I guess that's what I get for getting into a show entirely on the basis of naked Anna Paquin though.

I still feel like I saved myself a lot of time and frustration by deciding that I didn't care for True Blood like halfway through the second episode.

Second series was pretty great and featured heavily on the more entertaining side cast of characters. But I can't say you've missed much. It's a shame really... Maybe things will start looking up when Alan Ball steps down as show runner. There's a wonderful cast, it's a shame that they're wasted on such shitty stories. Ryan Kwanten and Deborah Ann Woll in particular can be greatly entertaining.

So, here's a Newsroom/West Wing/Sorkin Fun Fact that I just found on IMDB:

I'll spoiler it for those who don't care, but I do. Its neat.

John Gallagher Jr., who plays Jim Harper on The Newsroom, played Tyler, the love-sick teenager/Indiana Democratic Party volunteer in "20 Hours in America" (One the best WW episodes ever) that aired in 2002.

Here's a clip of an 18-year old, shaggy haired, Gallagher in The West Wing:

And here he is on The Newsroom.

I don't know why, I love this kind of stuff when it comes to TV

Edited by TheSqauredCircleMessiah

So I decided to watch the episodes of True Blood I had left and it's been pretty good, they've finally stopped with all the stupid shit that was bringing it down at the start. Somehow I don't think they have the balls to pull of the storyline they're saying is going to happen though.

Second series was pretty great and featured heavily on the more entertaining side cast of characters. But I can't say you've missed much. It's a shame really... Maybe things will start looking up when Alan Ball steps down as show runner. There's a wonderful cast, it's a shame that they're wasted on such shitty stories. Ryan Kwanten and Deborah Ann Woll in particular can be greatly entertaining.

The second series was great - I mean, I really only got into the show because a girl that I was crushing on hard watched it and I'd get it every Sunday night for us to watch, but the fact of the matter is that season one was alright but season two exploded into awesome character pairings. Anytime it was away from the Sookie and Bill junk (which was just ridiculous, I can't sit down and watch anything from season one where they just fucking stare at each other) I was pretty pumped, but then season three started just.. annoying the hell out of me with the Fan Yay that they were throwing out left and right.

The second series was great - I mean, I really only got into the show because a girl that I was crushing on hard watched it and I'd get it every Sunday night for us to watch, but the fact of the matter is that season one was alright but season two exploded into awesome character pairings. Anytime it was away from the Sookie and Bill junk (which was just ridiculous, I can't sit down and watch anything from season one where they just fucking stare at each other) I was pretty pumped, but then season three started just.. annoying the hell out of me with the Fan Yay that they were throwing out left and right.

Yeah, that's really what True Blood doesn't seem to get, they're so busy doing shit like Sookie/Bill they don't realize the absolute best parts of the show are stuff like Jason and Andy, Hoyt and Jessica. That's kind of what the second half of the latest series started to do that's redeemed it for me somewhat. The only problem is they've played it so safe previously, it's so hard to believe they'll actually have the balls to pull the trigger on the story they're working towards.

• Like 1

Just finished The Wire, Season 3.

I don't know if I can sleep after that.

Ohmanohmanohman that means you're coming up to my favourite season!

Also, something I just remembered about The Wire season 3

Brother Mouzone and Omar teaming up to kill Stringer. I know when I saw the still photo preview of the episode on HBOGo it was Brother Mouzone and Omar walking side-by-side, and I got giddy. And it didn't disappoint. Stringer's death was a "holy shit" moment, and it was amazing.

So, here's a Newsroom/West Wing/Sorkin Fun Fact that I just found on IMDB:

I'll spoiler it for those who don't care, but I do. Its neat.

John Gallagher Jr., who plays Jim Harper on The Newsroom, played Tyler, the love-sick teenager/Indiana Democratic Party volunteer in "20 Hours in America" (One the best WW episodes ever) that aired in 2002.

Here's a clip of an 18-year old, shaggy haired, Gallagher in The West Wing:

And here he is on The Newsroom.

I don't know why, I love this kind of stuff when it comes to TV

OK, that's pretty cool. Much more so than the normal Sorkin casting commonalities ("Look, it's Joshua Malina AGAIN!").

I was about to say, on Aaron Sorkin's wiki page there's a long list of people he's worked with in numerous of his shows/movies.

I just watched my first ever episode of The Jerry Springer Show. I think I really am quite speechless right now.

No matter what episode you watched, I am rather sure that I can assure you that others are far more depraved than whatever you watched.

Jezza is better anyway. dry.gif

Just finished The Wire, Season 3.

I don't know if I can sleep after that.

Ohmanohmanohman that means you're coming up to my favourite season!

Also, something I just remembered about The Wire season 3

Brother Mouzone and Omar teaming up to kill Stringer. I know when I saw the still photo preview of the episode on HBOGo it was Brother Mouzone and Omar walking side-by-side, and I got giddy. And it didn't disappoint. Stringer's death was a "holy shit" moment, and it was amazing.

Right? I mean, you see it coming for several episodes, but you still don't believe it will actually happen.

Further Wire, Season 3, comments:

It started off as such an odd season, given the precedent that the first two set. It took me several episodes to get my bearings and realize what the major arc was, where it was clear earlier on in the first two seasons. However, once you start seeing how the Season 3 pieces fit together, you realize that a whole lotta chickens are gonna come home to roost, in terms of the plot of the series. There's Stringer vs. Avon, The Evolution of Herc and Carver, Kima's Life at Home, Daniels' Life at Home, McNulty Doubting His Crusade, and Omar and Brother Mouzone's Private Wars. And this is all framed by the Idealism vs. Cynicism theme, as told through the eyes of Major Colvin, Councilman Carccetti, and Dennis. Those three stories (along with the evolution of McNulty) drew more emotion out of me than anything had before - which is saying a lot. Season 1 was fascinating, Season 2 had me sympathizing more with certain characters while still rooting for a certain side, but Season 3 had me sympathizing with virtually everyone, almost rooting for everyone - against everyone. The Colvin story with Hamsterdam probably ended up being my favorite part, but there was just so much to love here.

Plus, you had lots of great HOLY SHIT moments of various degrees, especially in the latter half of the season: Stringer's Death, Herc Calling The Press, The Beginning of Rhonda and Daniels, and more. My favorite was probably when fucking Rawls was in the gay bar. In 2012, that probably shouldn't be such a shocker, but the way his character had been developed before that I just did not see that coming. Nothing more has been done about it yet, but I'm curious to see where it goes.

Can't wait for Season 4.

• Like 2