General Television Thread

Hellfire

Revolution is going to suffer from the same problems as The Event and FlashForward. It looks fantastic, it sounds fantastic, it starts off well, makes a drop in quality and loses loads of viewers, sees out the season, but ends on a cliffhanger and is cancelled. I hope I'm wrong, but it strongly feels like it'll be that way.

So I made a deal with my wife that if I watched all three seasons of The Vampire Diaries, she'd watch Buffy, which she's been fundamentally opposed to for 15 years due to all the overhype.

Turns out, Vampire Diaries is a really fun show. I seriously thought it was just an attempt to do Twilight: The Series, but it's more in the Buffy/True Blood vein (see what I did there?), so I really dug it. Fun mythology, good characters and just the right amount of camp.

And now I get to make my wife watch Buffy and Angel, which will be a blast. I haven't watched either show in years.

• Like 1

Yeah, Vampire Diaries is behind Justified on my "man, I should watch this" list. (And first disc of season 1 of Justified is #3 on my Netflix queue right now.)

I think Angel will probably hold up a lot better for a first time viewer than Buffy will. Especially the first few series of Buffy are very 90's.

I keep meaning to watch Vampire Diaries because I've heard that from a lot of people who's opinions I respect on shows (Hello, Livid and Teej!), but it doesn't have that additional kick of naked Anna Paquin that True Blood did to get me to watch the first time.

Yeah, I told her she has to power through the first season of Buffy, because that shit was pretty dated when I first dove into the show in 2002. But, some of my wife's all-time favorite shows are My So-Called Life, Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Party of Five 90210, Melrose Place and Friends, so I think she'll appreciate 90s kitsch.

And yeah, I expected I'd enjoy TVD once my wife started raving about it, but I had no idea I'd wind up watching three seasons in a week.

God, my girlfriend loves that show. Like, I haven't seen anywhere near enough to have an opinion on it, but I'm pretty sure I could tell you a pretty decent summary of the entire series from how much of the story I've been told. Did you enjoy it? I mean it's pretty obviously a show more for the ladies, but I loved Greek which is pretty much 50% a show about girls in sororities.

God, my girlfriend loves that show. Like, I haven't seen anywhere near enough to have an opinion on it, but I'm pretty sure I could tell you a pretty decent summary of the entire series from how much of the story I've been told. Did you enjoy it? I mean it's pretty obviously a show more for the ladies, but I loved Greek which is pretty much 50% a show about girls in sororities.

But the other 50% about Cappie and KTT more than make up for it, obviously. By the by, Scott Michael Foster is going to be in the new ABC show Zero Hour. The show looks like it could have some promise but also could turn out to be pretty bad but it's nice to see him get some roles after Greek.

Speaking of casting (and this is off-topic) but if I'm ever in charge of casting a show, I will make it my mission to center it around JK Simmons, comedy or drama. I caught the first two episodes of Men At Work and it's okay but the second episode was brilliant just because of JK Simmons.

I kinda liked the pilot, and then it went downhill for me. Didn't enjoy it, but I think it's evident my sense of humor is completely different from most people here, as I easily enjoy 2 Broke Girls and Are you there, Chelsea

I kinda liked the pilot, and then it went downhill for me. Didn't enjoy it, but I think it's evident my sense of humor is completely different from most people here, as I easily enjoy 2 Broke Girls and Are you there, Chelsea

And Big Bang Theory and Mike And Molly?

Yup, also excited that HIMYM got another 2 seasons, and the first thing I do Tuesday morning is watch Two and a half men.

Yup, also excited that HIMYM got another 2 seasons, and the first thing I do Tuesday morning is watch Two and a half men.

I watch HIMYM but really, it's such a waste of my time now. I just want to know who the fucking mother is!

You'll have to switch the Two And A Half Men thing to Friday mornings now.

And Whitney? Please say no to Whitney. I am begging you.

Whitney was one of my favorite shows, but that's 'cause without realizing just before the show started I watched a shit load of Chris D'Elia's stand up.

Whitney was one of my favorite shows, but that's 'cause without realizing just before the show started I watched a shit load of Chris D'Elia's stand up.

Yeah, that dude is pretty good. Have not seen the show, though.