General Television Thread

Hellfire

Compare Batman: The Animated series (the one originally aired in 1992) to Spider-Man, you'll see what I mean. It's not as horribly aged as some things, but a lot of cartoons stand up a lot better from that era, including Marvel's own X-Men series from that time.

I always did love one piece of censorship, though. They couldn't show a character actually dying (in fact, if memory serves, they were never even allowed to show a punch actually connecting for a good while) in the show, so it caused real issues with the infamous Spidey bridge scene, when MJ was supposed to re-enact Gwen Stacy's death. So, instead of killing her, they caused her to get lost in some of Spot's Portal-esque technology during a fight with the Green Goblin. One of the more clever of the few rewrites the show did.

Also, this whole talk has reminded me that I need to put in some love for Hank Azaria's fucking astounding voice work as Venom on that series (90s one). As a kid, he both terrified and intrigued me, and it's only in later years I've realised how dead on he was playing that character.

Has anyone watched Veep? Wondering if I should give it a shot.

First episode was quite good, haven't watched the second yet.

Has anyone watched Veep? Wondering if I should give it a shot.

First episode was quite good, haven't watched the second yet.

And I really hated the first episode, and am hoping the second is a lot better.

Finally getting caught up on Supernatural. Bobby is talking to his ghost friend and she's like "What do you think happens when you die?" and he says "Dunno. Probably just gone is my guess."

Now, that'd be a fine reply.

IF THEY HADN'T SPENT LIKE 3 SERIES DEALING WITH ANGELS, HEAVEN, HELL AND CONFIRMED THAT THERE IS A GOD.

Come on now. That's a pretty fucking massive piece of continuity that they somehow forgot.

On the plus side, the shows gotten a bit better the last few episodes I watched. Was really, really losing interest in it for a while, but around episode 16 it started to pick back up again. It's quite funny that I remember being like "Oh man, I hope Supernatural isn't cancelled after Season 5!" when looking back on it, they really should have ended it with Season 5.

If you gave Spectacular Spider-Man the '90s Spider-Man's theme song you'd have the most unassailably good Spider-Man cartoon of all time.

I actually like the Spectacular Spider-Man theme, it's a catchy tune.

Also, I've seen the 90's Spider-Man show it's very faithful to the source material but it's lacking the humor of Spectacular Spider-Man. And like Benji said....not enough Gwen Stacy.

Also, Also, I love J. Johan Jameson's character in Spectacular Spidey. It reminds of J.K. Simmons JJ in the Spider-Man films. Another thing I like about the show is Spidey's suit takes damage. Which in the 90's show didn't happen as often as it did in Spectacular.

I'm going to watch the Spider-Man animated series from the early 2000's (since it's on Netflix) next with NPH as Spidey.

Finally getting caught up on Supernatural. Bobby is talking to his ghost friend and she's like "What do you think happens when you die?" and he says "Dunno. Probably just gone is my guess."

Now, that'd be a fine reply.

IF THEY HADN'T SPENT LIKE 3 SERIES DEALING WITH ANGELS, HEAVEN, HELL AND CONFIRMED THAT THERE IS A GOD.

Come on now. That's a pretty fucking massive piece of continuity that they somehow forgot.

On the plus side, the shows gotten a bit better the last few episodes I watched. Was really, really losing interest in it for a while, but around episode 16 it started to pick back up again. It's quite funny that I remember being like "Oh man, I hope Supernatural isn't cancelled after Season 5!" when looking back on it, they really should have ended it with Season 5.

To be fair, Bobby did not go to heaven with Dean and Sam and get to see how it was. It was a strange response though as he could have said that you either go to heaven or hell.

I don't know, I kind of feel like after doing battle with Lucifer and hanging out with Angels for like, two years, I'd probably be more on the side of there probably is a heaven.

Just watched the finale of Season 4 of Top Shot. No major spoilers, but the weapons used in the final challenge included a crossbow, a flint lock pistol, and a multiple-shot grenade launcher. "Weapons both modern and primitive" indeed. At least they weren't throwing rocks like the final challenge last year. The only major disappointment for the whole season was that the atlatl was in an elimination challenge instead of a team challenge.

Also, this whole talk has reminded me that I need to put in some love for Hank Azaria's fucking astounding voice work as Venom on that series (90s one). As a kid, he both terrified and intrigued me, and it's only in later years I've realised how dead on he was playing that character.

I love that, as a child you never notice the voice actors, but I randomly saw an episode early on a Saturday morning a few weeks back with Azaria as Venom, Airplane!'s Robert Hays as Tony Stark, and IIRC Uncle Phil as War Machine. Amazing.

If you gave Spectacular Spider-Man the '90s Spider-Man's theme song you'd have the most unassailably good Spider-Man cartoon of all time.

I actually like the Spectacular Spider-Man theme, it's a catchy tune.

Also, I've seen the 90's Spider-Man show it's very faithful to the source material but it's lacking the humor of Spectacular Spider-Man. And like Benji said....not enough Gwen Stacy.

Also, Also, I love J. Johan Jameson's character in Spectacular Spidey. It reminds of J.K. Simmons JJ in the Spider-Man films. Another thing I like about the show is Spidey's suit takes damage. Which in the 90's show didn't happen as often as it did in Spectacular.

I'm going to watch the Spider-Man animated series from the early 2000's (since it's on Netflix) next with NPH as Spidey.

If i remember right that tune was played by Slash.

That series was weird. I liked it, but it was just so utterly bizzare. The choice for art style was a really bold one that I found sometimes worked incredibly well (see any episode with Electro, which incidentally is my favourite portrayal of the character), whilst others, like The Lizard, looked like absolute crap. Also, the guest voice cast for that was insane, including Gina Gershon, John C. McGinley, James Marsters, Harold Perrineau, Michael Clarke Duncan, Jeremy Piven, Eve (the rapper, not the WWE Diva), Rob Zombie, Keith David, and a boat load of others.

I love that, as a child you never notice the voice actors, but I randomly saw an episode early on a Saturday morning a few weeks back with Azaria as Venom, Airplane!'s Robert Hays as Tony Stark, and IIRC Uncle Phil as War Machine. Amazing.

I only discovered a few months back that James Avery (Uncle Phil) was the voice of Shredder all those years. It's so obvious now I think about it, but when I was little it would've blown my mind.

Compare Batman: The Animated series (the one originally aired in 1992) to Spider-Man, you'll see what I mean. It's not as horribly aged as some things, but a lot of cartoons stand up a lot better from that era, including Marvel's own X-Men series from that time

I too loved 90s Spiderman, but it has aged not so well on recent re-viewings. Batman: TAS however has held up wonderfully.

So apparently this Friday Night Lights show was awesome when it was on the air and probably had threads about it on here and I didn't watch it. :shifty:

Actually, FNL is one of those shows that not enough people know about, especially here. I would imagine its because people think you have to enjoy football to enjoy the show and that's not the case at all.

It is one of the best shows in the last 10 years but quite possibly the most underrated because not enough people know about it/have given it a chance. Also, even though he did win an Emmy for its last season, not enough people have recognized what an awesome job Kyle Chandler's done as Coach Taylor. Part of that is the lack of awareness of the show but he's also had the displeasure of competing with Bryan Cranston, Jon Hamm and Hugh Laurie in the Best Actor category so it's been hard for him to reach the kind of recognition that he deserves.

FNL is a show I really want to watch but just haven't prioritized watching. Just too much stuff on right now and I only learned that apparently it's a great show once there were like four seasons of it.

Guest mr. potato head

From what I understand, FNL's also got a sort of "American heartland" thing that doesn't translate as well to unfamiliar foreign audiences as a lot of dramas?

(I've only seen a couple episodes, but do plan on racing through the series at some point. Maybe this summer.)

Compare Batman: The Animated series (the one originally aired in 1992) to Spider-Man, you'll see what I mean. It's not as horribly aged as some things, but a lot of cartoons stand up a lot better from that era, including Marvel's own X-Men series from that time

I too loved 90s Spiderman, but it has aged not so well on recent re-viewings. Batman: TAS however has held up wonderfully.

Yeah, Batman doesn't just hold up well, but if aired today, I don't think many people would query it being literally two decades old.

As for FNL, I've been watching it myself as of late, and I'm halfway through the first season. It's fantastic. I have to sit down and concentrate on it, otherwise none of it sinks in well.