The best trophy in sports?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a diehard football fan and I don't really watch hockey (it's boring on TV but live, it's awesome) but there's no denying the fact that the Stanley Cup is the best trophy in sports.

Edited by Livid Soprano

Does this help? nhl_a_messier_400.jpg

Fixed.

:wub:

That was the greatest year MSG ever had in my lifetime. Sadly the Knicks choked the last two games of the '94 Finals away in Houston or we would have had two parades in the same month (week?).

Isn't that the year that the Rangers "broke" the Cup?

Plus the World Cup requires what....12-20 games over 4 years to win while the Stanley Cup involves 82 regular season games before a minimum of 16 games of the most gruelling sport besides rugby to win. It's harder on the body to win the Stanley Cup than any other trophy.

Only people in the US and Canada actually care about the Stanley Cup, the rest of the world want to win the World Cup, it is the ultimate prize in sport

Fuck right off. Yes, football is the most popular sport in the world. No, that does not mean that everybody wants to win the World Cup.

The World Cup is boring, there's no stories about when the trophy ended up in Pele's swimming pool. Hell, Domink Hasek (I think, may have been Lidstrom?) took the Stanley cup to his hometown, held a roller hockey tourney with some kids from the neighbourhood and "awarded" them the cup for the day. Remember that time took the World Cup home, played 5 a side with some kids and made their dreams come true by letting them hoist it? No, because those kids had to pay £20 to stare at a replica in some glass case.

The team that wins the Stanley Cup has worked together for at least an entire year, they may play years together (obviously not so much with the advent of free agency, but that's another argument). World Cup teams may never play with each other again, and if they do, it's sparingly, in games that their club managers don't want them playing their hardest for fear of injury making them miss their "real" games in the domestic leagues.

Touched a nerve have I?

Don't think yourself so important that you've got me so riled up I have flecks of saliva raining down on my keyboard as I try and fire a post off before the giant blood vessel that's emerging on my forehead bursts. You're just one in a long line of uninformed, arrogant piece of shit English football fans. It's usually the old "American Football is for wimps" argument, but hey, I guess you can use your complete ignorance for anything that isn't "proper" football to make inane points here too.

Does this help?

Fixed.

:wub:

That was the greatest year MSG ever had in my lifetime. Sadly the Knicks choked the last two games of the '94 Finals away in Houston or we would have had two parades in the same month (week?).

Isn't that the year that the Rangers "broke" the Cup?

It's been pummeled, dented and broken a fair few times. Some guys even have their names spelled wrong on it. I think I read somewhere that Jacques Plante appears on it something like four times, and not once is his name spelled correctly.

Guest Ringmaster

schale_19.jpg

The German Bundesliga trophy has been scientifically proven to be, by far, the greatest trophy in the history of sports. It has been touched by Pope Benedict the whatever-the-fuck-number and blessed by the Dalai Lama's urine while he was held at gun point by Nazis. Its history? It's history is unparalleled. It was forged out of the bones of Jews that died in the Holocaust (they're made of silver, true story).

SIX FUCKING MILLION PEOPLE DIED TO MAKE THIS TROPHY.

And here's another thing: its shape. It looks like a hubcap. This symbolizes the beauty of the world and, most importantly, narrow-minded theft. Which country doesn't have hubcap thieves? The UK has Liverpool, the US has Detroit, France has Mante-La-Jolie, Canada has Iqualut (thos pesky Indians!), Spain has Bilbao, Germany has Rottensheislirtonavskyieder. Hell, Russia is just one big land of stolen hubcaps. We all have them. And that's the beauty of the trophy. Not only does it unite us in our need for hubcaps, but it's a trophy for the people. It's like a great big fuck you to hubcap thieves worldwide, lifting the trophy high and wide, and going "Fuck you, you won't steal my golden hubcap, you dirty rat-eating piece of shit".

And that's why this is, by far, the best trophy in the world is the Bundesliga trophy. It's not some glorified butt plug you win for playing cricket. It's not a ginormous cock shapped samovar you win for playing hockey. It's not some planet, lifted by a foreign bastard you get for playing football.

It's a hubcap and it's beautiful.

Edited by Ringmaster

Just to add something new into the equation which will probably be ignored by everyone. But for me the biggest rivalry in sport has to be the Ryder Cup, and therefore it is in my eyes, between Europeans and North Americans, the best trophy that you can gain in the world. Controversy is found nearly every time the competition is played (every two years). Whether it be The War On The Shore in '91 or the Battle of Brookline '99, the Ryder Cup shows the passion that runs between both sets of players and fans, in what is widely known as a gentleman's game.

I don't know, maybe it isn't a World Cup or a Stanley Cup, but for me the Ryder Cup is the best three days in the sporting calendar (outside supporting my own football team).

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Just to add something new into the equation which will probably be ignored by everyone. But for me the biggest rivalry in sport has to be the Ryder Cup, and therefore it is in my eyes, between Europeans and North Americans, the best trophy that you can gain in the world. Controversy is found nearly every time the competition is played (every two years). Whether it be The War On The Shore in '91 or the Battle of Brookline '99, the Ryder Cup shows the passion that runs between both sets of players and fans, in what is widely known as a gentleman's game.

I don't know, maybe it isn't a World Cup or a Stanley Cup, but for me the Ryder Cup is the best three days in the sporting calendar (outside supporting my own football team).

If we're talking most important event or best competition, there's a ton of stuff I'd put ahead of the Stanley Cup. :P

It's been pummeled, dented and broken a fair few times. Some guys even have their names spelled wrong on it. I think I read somewhere that Jacques Plante appears on it something like four times, and not once is his name spelled correctly.
I heard somewhere that the Rangers broke the cup in half and they had to make the neck of the cup wider as a result.

and to the guy that was asking about the blonde chick, If you would have read a few pages back....

In 2007, a photoshoot on the set of the NBC television series Heroes showed actors Milo Ventimiglia and Hayden Panettiere "goofing off" with the cup, including worshiping, walking with, and Hayden licking and kissing the trophy.

*Facepalm*

BeanpotBros.jpg

The Beanpot!

Clearly no other other trophy deserves this award. Nothing is more important than the trophy that only wonderful, glorious Boston teams can win. It has over 50 glorious years of history of determining the best team from the greatest city in the world, Boston! Plus has any other sport caused fans to be stuck in the the arena for days due to a blizzard? I think not! And lastly, how can you not like a trophy that is shaped like a pot? Fuck a cup, a pot is better!

And this trophy has not nor ever will be touched by non-Bostonians! Only the finest of people can touch it. You won't see a filthy disgusting New York piece of trash touch it! Not in this lifetime! Not those horrible hockey players from Canada, either! Just the most wonderful, glorious humans in this world, the Boston, Irish Catholic!

and to the guy that was asking about the blonde chick, If you would have read a few pages back....

In 2007, a photoshoot on the set of the NBC television series Heroes showed actors Milo Ventimiglia and Hayden Panettiere "goofing off" with the cup, including worshiping, walking with, and Hayden licking and kissing the trophy.

*Facepalm*

That was me thanks for letting me know, i should of actually known immediately since heroes is my fave show