2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

They can compete. They've made playoff runs in the past. The team just went through a period where it was horribly managed. I have faith in Colangelo. The Raptors have had some great draft picks with Stoudamire, Camby, McGrady, Carter, Peterson, Bargnani and Bosh but unfortunately they've also used first round picks on the likes of Michael Bradley, Joey Graham, Rafael Araujo (8th overall), Kareem Rush and Alek Radojevich.

People in the US don't care about the Raptors because they get no TV exposure in the US since Canadian viewers don't help US TV ratings.

Being competitive is one thing. They're a mid-level playoff team, and that's it.

I don't even dislike the Raptors, its just the realities of the current NBA. There are a certain number of teams that are relevant every year, and everyone else isn't.

If Toronto can manage to get two top flight guys out of the draft, like Utah with Stockton and Malone, then they'd have a chance. They won't be able to do it through free agency.

And if the let Bosh go for nothing, they're idiots. Then again, they never really put enough around him, and he's not good enough to carry a team on his own. Its arguable if he's even a top ten player in the league, so its likely Toronto fans overrated him.

Who was the last big free agent the Knicks got? Aside from Garnett trade...where was the Celtics big signing? This isn't the MLB. Big free agents signings just don't happen. The NBA is about drafting well and putting role players around your stars. What was the last team that won a title because they signed a superstar off of another team? Draft well. Get role players and hopefully have cap space to trade for a veteran

We realize this. It just stings to see our best player in franchise history just walk away, especially without making a playoff run or anything with him.

Didn't you guys get used to losing your best players in their primes during the T-Mac/Carter years? The Raptors are basically a farm system for the "name" teams in the NBA which is sad. They should just relocate them to Seattle in a few years.

We realize this. It just stings to see our best player in franchise history just walk away, especially without making a playoff run or anything with him.

Didn't you guys get used to losing your best players in their primes during the T-Mac/Carter years? The Raptors are basically a farm system for the "name" teams in the NBA which is sad. They should just relocate them to Seattle in a few years.

But Vince Carter was a douche who gave up on the team.

Which pretty much supports DMN's point. Bosh is going to leave in July. Whether you swing a sign and trade or not, no elite NBA player will ever choose to play in Toronto once their initial contract expires. You can't win titles with the Turkoglu's of the world and guys that are playing out their rookie deals.

Which pretty much supports DMN's point. Bosh is going to leave in July. Whether you swing a sign and trade or not, no elite NBA player will ever choose to play in Toronto once their initial contract expires. You can't win titles with the Turkoglu's of the world and guys that are playing out their rookie deals.

I'm not arguing that point, and I never was. It's just a little sad to see Bosh go because unlike Carter, he has been a great player and citizen for Toronto.

I must have missed the part where VC and T-Mac had great playoff/championship runs once they left Toronto. Vince did sign his extension. His injury situation was mishandled by all parties involved. It had nothing to do with the city. T-Mac screwed his own career listening to Butch Carter and leaving once Butch was fired. Not to mention that T-Mac signed with his hometown team. Sort of a different situation there.

Who was the last big free agent the Knicks got? Aside from Garnett trade...where was the Celtics big signing? This isn't the MLB. Big free agents signings just don't happen. The NBA is about drafting well and putting role players around your stars. What was the last team that won a title because they signed a superstar off of another team? Draft well. Get role players and hopefully have cap space to trade for a veteran

The Knicks have been over the cap for about a decade, so the last big free agents they got were Charlie Ward & Allan Houston :(

You're underestimating the importance of the Garnett deal. The Celtics went from going 24-58 to winning the NBA title and 66 games in one season because of that deal, and then picking up Ray Allen.

The Lakers were able to do the same thing basically when they picked up Pau Gasol. Those franchises will ALWAYS be able to rebuild/reload faster than the smaller market ones. For instance, San Antonio's going to be a ghost town once Timmay!~ retires.

I wasn't underestimating the Garnett move at all. It was about having the draft picks and young players being there that made the trade possible for them. The NBA system just isn't fit for the sign big free agents and win instantly like the MLB is set up. If you have the cap space you can make the trade for a Gasol or Ray Allen. There is nothing stopping the Raptors from doing that other than their own bad drafting leaving them without pieces they could've used. You don't even need equal talent to get trades done.

Houston really wasn't a big signing though. He was in that Turkoglu category.

In my wasted draft picks I didn't even mention Villanueva. Drafting him made no sense. Trading him for T.J Ford made even less sense.

It is the same thing I tell Knicks fans here who think that all of their problems are magically going to disappear next year.

I might be a little clouded because the Lakers are one of the few teams that have made the free agent thing work (case in point: Shaq).

I'd love for Toronto to be able to build and make it work. I've liked them ever since they were created, and they've had a few players I really liked (Carter, Jason Kapono).

I'm not even really trying to shit talk Toronto, because its not an issue unique to them. Its a league-wide issue. Yes, my team benefits from it (although a part of that is how well run the Lakers are), but it doesn't make it right. Its much like baseball, too many teams are unable to compete, for reasons outside of their control.

Then again, expecting every league to be as well balanced, in terms of parity, as the NFL is a pipe dream.

I might be a little clouded because the Lakers are one of the few teams that have made the free agent thing work (case in point: Shaq).

I'd love for Toronto to be able to build and make it work. I've liked them ever since they were created, and they've had a few players I really liked (Carter, Jason Kapono).

I'm not even really trying to shit talk Toronto, because its not an issue unique to them. Its a league-wide issue. Yes, my team benefits from it (although a part of that is how well run the Lakers are), but it doesn't make it right. Its much like baseball, too many teams are unable to compete, for reasons outside of their control.

Then again, expecting every league to be as well balanced, in terms of parity, as the NFL is a pipe dream.

Shaq free agent signing was 15 years ago. How many big free agents can you name in the last 20 years that led a team to an NBA title or even the finals? Billups is the only I can think of who was signed as a Free Agent and was the #1 guy on a championship team.

As for teams not being able to compete, 10 different franchises have made it to the finals in the last 9 years. That's not bad at all.

Shaq free agent signing was 15 years ago. How many big free agents can you name in the last 20 years that led a team to an NBA title or even the finals? Billups is the only I can think of who was signed as a Free Agent and was the #1 guy on a championship team.

As for teams not being able to compete, 10 different franchises have made it to the finals in the last 9 years. That's not bad at all.

That's why this year's (potential) free agent class is unique. There was never a chance to get a Jordan, Magic, Bird etc in the midst of their prime. In this era of capologists you don't actually get to sign many free agents. What you do is acquire shitty contracts, package them in their last year with draft picks and upgrade your team that way. Unless of course you're the Grizzlies and give away Pau Gasol so the Lakers can jump from middle of the pack in the West to 2 straight NBA Finals appearances.

so the playoffs are set... what do you all think is going to happen from here?

I'd really like to see my Phoenix Suns do something this year and they seem to be hitting thier stride at the right time but can they put it together for an entire series... I think we should be able to handle Portland easily, considering Roy is out for the season now, from there though I'm not too sure cause we'd run into either the Mavs or Spurs which would be a hard series...

Anyway my first round predictions are...

Cleveland def. Chicago: 4-1

Orlando def. Charlotte: 4-2

Atlanta def. Milwaukee: 4-1

Boston def. Miami: 4-2

Los Angeles def. Oklahoma City: 4-3

San Antonio def. Dallas: 4-3

Phoenix def. Portland: 4-0

Denver def. Utah: 4-2

Cavs over Bulls in 4

Magic over Bobcats in 6

Hawks over Bucks in 5

Celtics over Heat in 6

Lakers over Thunder in 6

Dallas over Spurs in 6

Phoenix over Portland in 5

Utah over Denver in 7

2nd Round

Cavs over Celtics in 5

Magic over Hawks in 5

Lakers over Jazz in 7

Suns over Mavs in 7

3rd Round

Cavs over Magic in 7

Lakers over Suns in 6

Finals

Cavs over Lakers in 6

Yes, I'm a Cavs fan, and yes, I know the history of Cleveland...but it's time.

• Like 1