The Hockey Thread

Clawson

There really needs to be some form of Instant Replay used on necessary occasions throughout the game. The Coyotes may well have had their season ended by a Nick Lidstrom shot that was a beauty, but came on a Powerplay created by a backwards call. Had there been instant replay used for that, there wouldn't have been a Detroit PP, and Phoenix may well have gotten one instead.

I'm REALLY not interested in San Jose/Detroit for Round Two... at all.

Replays on penalty calls? No thanks. The referees do make mistakes sometimes, but they get it right the majority of the time and we do not need more breaks in the game for when someone thinks a call is right and someone else thinks it is wrong.

Holmstrom is a good veteran player who managed to draw a penalty. Instead of looking at it as a missed call by the referees, we should be looking at it as a smart, savvy play by a veteran player.

I just really hate him because he gets away with bending and breaking the rules way too much for someone who's known to bend and break the rules. Especially since it's almost always the same thing. Example being how about 8 times out of 10 his ass, knee or elbow ends up inside the crease, pushing the goalie out of position, when he's parked in front on the powerplay.

It just really bothers me. If that was Sean Avery, it would be called at least half the time he does it.

Plus, Detroit and San Jose are two of the most uninteresting teams in the Western Conference to watch. Vancouver/Chicago is going to be a fantastic series to watch. I hate Vancouver. They are, by my place of birth, my mortal enemies. However, I would still much rather watch them than either San Jose or Detroit.

Here's to hoping for a Chicago/Pittsburgh final this year, because aside from maybe Montreal or Washington in the east... those are the only two teams left worth giving a shit about watching.

Not looking forward to having to go through Chicago AND Detroit. What a pain in the ass. :(

So any guesses as to who the worst fans in Canada are?

That said, I was really looking forward to a Phoenix-Colorado and Los Angeles-Nashville quarterfinals. Of course the same old teams have to ruin something new. Picking between Chicago-Vancouver is a horrible experience because its either risk having the Leafs be the team with the longest Cup drought or have to deal with Canuck fans a little longer.

It's funny how fans of the Oilers and Leafs have so much time on their hands in April that they can make big lists of previous blog entries they've written about how bad fans of other teams are. You guys should try supporting a team that actually, you know, makes the playoffs more than twice a decade. You'll find you have a lot less idle time to plan parades that will never happen and salivate over the latest undrafted import from the NCAA who is going to put up amazing numbers once you guys have been mathematically eliminated from contention.

But hey, there's always the draft.

Oh, wait.

How does Vancouver get dubbed the worst fans in Canada on the basis of a single riot, and Montreal fans don't even get a look-in in that category?

Because in Montreal it's more the media than the actual fans...

I actually want the Canucks to win the Cup. Not because they are a Canadian team or anything like that, but because they have been in the league for so long and deserve to win it now. They need to get to the Western Conference Finals at the very least.

If I was to pick which team has the worst fans in the entire NHL, I'd probably go with my Toronto Maple Leafs. Listening to people call in to sports radio shows about the Leafs can make you go crazy.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Halak was just interviewed on SportsCentre, I could hear the "Ole" chants in the background. Not that I needed another reason to hate the Habs since they have PK Subban, but whatever happened to "Les Canadiens sont la"?

As awesome (and hilarious) as it was seeing Washington go down in round one, I gotta say it is a bit unnerving to have to play the Halak-led Habs. He's been scary good lately and could easily steal a game or two in the Semis.