The Hockey Thread

Clawson

All good points, definitely.

On the opposite side of that though, I might argue that parity essentially shuffles the cards every year, and that we won't ever see another true dynasty in the National Hockey League because of it.

Look at the Detroit Red Wings, who have been a dynasty type team for many years, but look to be on the decline. Not just for this season either. This season they're battling just to make the playoffs, but if the trend continues, and they can't move out some of these contracts they're stuck with, then they could next year find themselves battling to stay relevant, and soon after, battling to stay out of the cellar.

My biggest issue with the cap system, is the basement cap, which states that every team MUST spend a certain amount of money on their roster, even if it is not financially feasible to do so. I understand the logic behind having it in place, because the league doesn't want any glorified Minor League teams in the NHL... but these are all teams who, even when doing well, have a hard time drawing a crowd. Furthermore, they're all teams (Phoenix and Nashville especially), who excel by neccissity of having to use younger players in key roles. So because of these cap rules, top players on these smaller market teams are young guys on entry-level deals or who came up through the team's system... and they make sure they're over the basement cap by fillng out the rest of the roster with overpaid role-players, who's best days are behind them. It just really seems unneccessary to me.

The Salary Floor ties in with the Revenue Sharing, though. If the teams at the bottom aren't making enough in attendance than the amount of revenue sharing needs to be increased.

And it's possible to build a dynasty these days, you just need to build around a strong core and get them on cap friendly, long term deals. The Canucks are trying to do that with Luongo, Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, all on 3+ year deals. Then you supplement around that with young talent, a hard nosed defense, a great staff, and Kyle Wellwood*.

Detroit is on the decline because they've started to age. Their prime players are getting long in the teeth and their prospect pool isn't as good as it once was. Plus, they left Stefan Liv go. That right there shows that they are moving in the wrong direction.

*Disclaimer: No evidence Kyle Wellwood is nesscessary to make a dynasty.

Phew...thought the constant ref fuck-ups (fair calls on us, but refused to call obvious ones on Montreal) and the brutal offsides were gonna tip it to Montreals side but we finally manage to solve Halak in overtime. Good win.

I didn't think the referees were bad in the game. They were obviously letting some of the smaller stuff go. It just so happened that it was our team doing the high-sticking and tripping - the obvious calls. There were a lot of marginal hits on both sides that the refs let go.

I think Montreal came in a little flat and only really started playing hard in the final period. Halak and Gustavvson both looked good, and it came to a shoot-out so it was a very close one for both teams. Habs fans have to cringe to see their team drop that extra point, but at least Philly also lost.

Kessel and Bozak are on fire right now, and I think Dion Phaneuf had his best game as a Leaf.

Edited by Toe

What a boring game for both teams. Montreal either forgot that they won 6 in a row because of hard work, or just underestimated the worst team in the East, and failed to show up through 2.5 periods. Toronto played harder, but unfortunately have very few talented players. It was like watching the blind leading the dumb and evidentally the blind won.

Montreal at least got the point to keep pace for 5th place in the East. They probably didn't deserve the point. Hopefully this game acts as a wake up call against the slumping Sens... I have a bad feeling about tonight.

This has been a really disappointing season to watch the Rangers. They can compete with any team in the league on some nights, and then can't even get the puck out of their zone on other nights (or should I say on most nights lately) I wish they were at least getting a high draft pick out of this disappointment.

I didn't expect the flames to struggle for 8th. And I really had high hopes for tampa this year. :(

There's still time for a few teams to make the playoffs, but at this point I'm cheering for Capitals, Redwings, Blackhawks, and Coyotes. (Wings 8th - Blackhawks 1st) Should be a fun series.

This has been a really disappointing season to watch the Rangers. They can compete with any team in the league on some nights, and then can't even get the puck out of their zone on other nights (or should I say on most nights lately) I wish they were at least getting a high draft pick out of this disappointment.

I didn't expect the flames to struggle for 8th. And I really had high hopes for tampa this year. :(

There's still time for a few teams to make the playoffs, but at this point I'm cheering for Capitals, Redwings, Blackhawks, and Coyotes. (Wings 8th - Blackhawks 1st) Should be a fun series.

If they can get rid of Redden's monster contract and add one or two pieces to compliment Gaborik, I think the Rangers will be good. They have Lundqvist, some good young defencemen, and Gaborik is one of the best offensive players in the league.

Sorry Plubby, just accept that you'll make the playoffs. :P

With 9 to play you're 6 points up, AND you hold the first tiebreaker. You're as good as in.

- Andy is regressing to mean

- "Radar" has disappeared

- Overinsistence on playing Tucker and Svatos despite their lack of production

- Special Teams are more "Special" than they are Special right now

- The kids are wanting to get out there and attack, and they're being made to sit on leads, and they just aren't good enough at it yet.

There's some reasons...

Jonas Gustavvson is looking like a REAL NHL calibre goaltender. He has just won his seventh in a row (the first Leaf since Belfour to do it) and he is looking more calm and steady in goal. His time with Allaire is helping, and I think it is also good for him to be sharing time with Giggy.

Leafs win another game against a team trying to mount a late playoff charge. I think the teams play since the Olympic break and the trade deadline has said a lot about what "changing the culture" can do for a team. If you look at the Leafs roster from before Burke arrived and look at it now, I think only Kaberle remains (outside of some of the younger guys like Schenn and Mitchell). Suddenly, the team is WINNING in overtime instead of giving up, and the team is just more competitive.

Edited by Toe