The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Epic goaltender battle last night in Montreal. No question who was going to win though.

I've got a friend who's out in Saskatoon voluenteering and whatnot. He was saying that for the Gold medal game he went out with some friends to a bar. They got there after the first, so when America scored their 4th goal, a bunch of tables erupted in wild cheering. He and his friends we all somewhat concerned that the good people of Saskatoon did not love their country nearly as much as he did. After the game and upon closer inspection they discovered that the tables cheering for America were actually teams Sweden, Slovakia and Finland, and they were just cheering for not Canada.

Former Globe & Mail columnist William Houston has set up a blog where he writes about the same things he did at the Globe - sports media and hockey. His latest post is a really interesting read on who will get to Europe first, the NHL or the KHL.

It was a pretty sweet move.

Great game last night. Montreal's won 8 of 12 and has points in I think 10 of 12, so these are encouraging signs. It's took bad Andrei K is out 4-6 weeks from knee surgery, his line with Cammy and Pleks was outstanding.... now those two are struggling a bit.

Big Georges Laraque scored his first goal as a Hab last night. The place went nuts, and he reacted as though he just eliminated Dallas from a playoff series. Good for him though considering he's Haitian. After the game he mentioned vaguely that he'd like to be able to take time off from the team and go help out in Haiti.

12 of Montreal's games before the break are against Eastern opponents, talk about a lot of 4 point games. They're gonna need to be better than the .500 team we've seen up to this point in the season. If last night was any indication there's cause for cautious optimism. If we can get to Valentines day in 5th through 8th spot. I'll start getting excited for late-april hockey.

There is a rumour that the Leafs might get their first round pick back from Boston, but it would cost them Kaberle.

That would suck if they didn't get the first overall pick after making such a trade. Assuming they do.

Kovalchuk to be traded? I will start the pipe dream of the Leafs managing to pick him up in the off season :shifty:

Kovalchuk has stated matter-of-factly that if he does not re-sign with the Atlanta Thrashers, that he will be signing with a team over in Russia next year. So with that having been established, whoever makes a play for him has to know going into it that he is almost 100% guaranteed to be a wham, bam, thank you ma'am, type of investment. You'll get him for the rest of the season and a run at the cup, and then he's gone.

The Flames definitely need help with goal-scoring, and he's a top goal scorer, no doubt... but he's going to be pricey. I feel like Kiprusoff is on top of his game this season, and our defense is stacked, with several guys in Abbottsford who are just waiting to be called up. If the price is Phaneuf and a prospect, pick or depth player, then I say go for it. Giordano's stepped into the role that Dion was supposed to excell at, and Bouwmeester has been an offensive bust, but he's solid in our own end and still has the ability to set up some nice plays. I think Dion Phaneuf is the odd man out here, and if we can acquire legitimate scoring help for a run at the cup this year, while our goaltender is playing world-class hockey and keeping the opposing teams to so few goals... then it needs to happen.

Two players of that calibre for a rental player though, would be far too much to send away for someone who likely won't be around after the season ends.