The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Sean avery wasn't penalized.....why should he be? Sean Avey wasn't the fuckig idiot to stick jab from across the bench.

Ha, no, he didn't deserve a penalty, it just seems wrong to have a broo ha ha and not give Avery a penalty. It's almost expected.

I just got some weird cognitive dissonance-type thing going on reading that post. It started out normally - "yep yep, goonery in a nucks game, hardly suprising..." then all of a sudden it was all "wait, NO penalty for Avery?!?!?" and now I have this strange feeling in my gut, like everything I ever lived was a lie >_>

YOU SEE!!!

I love it when players are that skilled that they can hold your stick and get you called for hooking... :rolleyes:

EDIT: this entire 3rd period has been fucked.

Edited by thisgamewelose

Stop being a homer, it was a great period! Linebrawls, guys getting penalties when they were already in the penalty box, Trooper, giant shards of broken glass, sarcastic cheers, and a total collapse in the net. It had everything!

Mike Liambas (name right?) was suspended by the OHL for the remainder of the season for his hit on the 16 year old Kitchener defenseman. Video is a few posts back.

You know, it sucks that the kid got hurt... but this really seems like a reactionary judgment by David Branch and the OHL. The defenseman saw him coming and turned his back. He finished his check. The kid got hurt. Anyone saying it was an elbow, I mean, that's your opinion, but if you watch the video, it's clearly Liambas' shoulder that makes a connection.

So, was it to the head? Yes. Was it meant to be? Probably not. The kid spins away from an oncoming player and puts himself in a vulnerable position.

Liambas could have let up. The kid could have not made a retarded decision. I don't see how one guy is any more to blame for the outcome than the other. Just because he got hurt, everybody's sympathizing with him... but the OHL wants to preach about being responsible for your actions, here's their chance. Show videos to the players... tell guys that when someone's vulnerable, you let up... tell guys not to be assholes and put themselves in a position to get destroyed.

A year's suspension for a hit, where BOTH guys should have made better choices? Seems a bit excessive to me.

Mike Liambas (name right?) was suspended by the OHL for the remainder of the season for his hit on the 16 year old Kitchener defenseman. Video is a few posts back.

You know, it sucks that the kid got hurt... but this really seems like a reactionary judgment by David Branch and the OHL. The defenseman saw him coming and turned his back. He finished his check. The kid got hurt. Anyone saying it was an elbow, I mean, that's your opinion, but if you watch the video, it's clearly Liambas' shoulder that makes a connection.

So, was it to the head? Yes. Was it meant to be? Probably not. The kid spins away from an oncoming player and puts himself in a vulnerable position.

Liambas could have let up. The kid could have not made a retarded decision. I don't see how one guy is any more to blame for the outcome than the other. Just because he got hurt, everybody's sympathizing with him... but the OHL wants to preach about being responsible for your actions, here's their chance. Show videos to the players... tell guys that when someone's vulnerable, you let up... tell guys not to be assholes and put themselves in a position to get destroyed.

A year's suspension for a hit, where BOTH guys should have made better choices? Seems a bit excessive to me.

Oh fuck off, dude. The guy had it pre-determined in his mind that he was going to deck the kid, whether said kid turned his head or not. He was building up momentum from the fucking blueline for Christ's sake. It was a blatant head-hunting hit, shoulder or not.

Yep he hit him with the shoulder which shot up into his head, stopped skating at the red line and was lining up a guy who was coming straight at him. This is a suspension based on the aftermath than the actual act.

Edited by Clawson

thisgamewelose - are you trolling or something? A clean hit?

I think the actual check was clean. He shouldv'e lead up and there wasn't a need to completely drill him, but the actual hit was clean.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yep he hit him with the shoulder which shot up into his head, stopped skating at the red line and was lining up a guy who was coming straight at him. This is a suspension based on the aftermath than the actual act.

I didn't know you'd become a Guelph bandwagonner :D

Good to see the Flames win with Kiprusoff getting a night off. It is very important that they give Kipper rest and they need a decent back-up to pick up the slack. Also, it is always good to see Iggy scoring.

Good to see the Flames win with Kiprusoff getting a night off. It is very important that they give Kipper rest and they need a decent back-up to pick up the slack. Also, it is always good to see Iggy scoring.

They played a very good game tonight. Fundamentally sound. The backcheck was really good, and the penalty killing was phenomenal. They were hard in the corners and gritty and determined for damn near 60 minutes. A lot of the Dallas shots were nothing-shots, or kept to the outside, which was good. McElhinney looked calm and collected in there tonight. He's had moments of brilliance prior to tonight, but usually gets rattled and can't regain his focus. Tonight, he was a rock. If he can keep his head there for the rest of the season, we'll be in very good shape in the net.

There was just something different about Iginla all around tonight... he was hitting, going into the corners hard, battling, talking shit and getting good opportunities. Prior to tonight, he's only been able to really go on one or two of those a night, and from minute one in tonight's game, you could just tell by looking at him that he was firing on all cylinders.

Note: Kipper is sick with something. Hopefully not the H1N1 virus, but whatever. McElhinney is probable for the start tomorrow night in St. Louis. I think it will be good for him to get back to back starts and keep his confidence building.

That would be fucking poetic justice though. The team skips the line to get H1N1 shots, causing a massive public uproar for them cutting in front of people who are actually a high risk to get seriously ill if they don't get the shot, and then one of their players gets seriously ill and can't play. That would be evidence to me that god does in fact exist.

+

That would be fucking poetic justice though. The team skips the line to get H1N1 shots, causing a massive public uproar for them cutting in front of people who are actually a high risk to get seriously ill if they don't get the shot, and then one of their players gets seriously ill and can't play. That would be evidence to me that god does in fact exist.

The Calgary Flames organization are more important than women, children and the elderly. Are any of those people ever going to go on a run for the Stanley Cup? Fuck them.

Seriously though, a bunch of sports teams worked out arrangements to get the shots.

Oh fuck the Flames. If Dallas actually managed to score on half of those opportunities they had all night, that game would have been 6 to 2 at least.

Your guys on the ice need a lot of help. Your goal tender on the other hand, was a beast yesterday and I'll applaud him for that. He looked fantastic, especially for not even being the starter.

Whatever, we play them again on January 27th. We'll just kick your asses then.

Oh fuck the Flames. If Dallas actually managed to score on half of those opportunities they had all night, that game would have been 6 to 2 at least.

Your guys on the ice need a lot of help. Your goal tender on the other hand, was a beast yesterday and I'll applaud him for that. He looked fantastic, especially for not even being the starter.

Whatever, we play them again on January 27th. We'll just kick your asses then.

...but the reason Dallas couldn't capitalize on their opportunities was because when feeding the puck cross crease, the intended recipient would be too busy fighting off the big body of Robyn Regehr... or the Stars wouldn't be able to get the puck into a good scoring area, so they would fire it on net looking for a rebound opportunity, but again stifled by the Flames backcheck and defense who were all over the rebounds.

A large number of shots doesn't mean a large number of quality chances. The Flames played a hard, grinding defensive game last night. They played a Brent Sutter type hockey game for the first time this season.

Kudos to Dallas for a hard fought game, and they really turned it on to get that second goal, but for the most part, we didn't let them play their game last night, and it worked out for us in the end. Two points on the board, and onwards to St. Louis.

Developing scandal: Abbotsford Heat jump the H1N1 queue as well.

The Leafs should be let off the hook for getting the vaccine because, being the Toronto Maple Leafs, they are a massive cultural and almost religious institution in Canada and deserve preferential treatment in every area of life. They should be allowed to jump in line at amusement parks, get early access to concert tickets, and get first choice when it comes to prom dates.

Abbotsford Heat, you should be ashamed of yourselves.