The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Can you both go undefeated this season? ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT.

I am with Basha. It was a good back and forth game. Toronto dominated for long stretches but Carey Price was on his game all night. Komisarek was brought in to help our powerplay, but he was in the box on Montreal's first goal and the late game tying goal.

I think both teams looked good and bad during the game. It sucks that the Leafs did not get the extra point, but both teams deserved to get something out of that game. It was very tough and very entertaining.

Clawson. I have to say, that the Komisarek elbow... was pretty definitely an elbow. Still, I will agree that on a whole, the refs blew a ton of calls that could have shaped the game either way for either team... Also Moen didn't run Toskala so much as he got pushed into him and then beaten for it haha.

I think one of the most telling stats from last night was Toronto had 25 shots which missed the net. I noticed that a lot of Toronto shots came from the blue line and from the outside, which as a Habs fan is what I would rather see (although Stajan's goal on the tip was sweet). I found that often when Toronto shooters were in the slot with the puck they missed the net quite often. Now I know that there's a difference when you have time on the outside, and when a player's about to run you in the slot, but through 2 periods I felt that Toronto could have had a big lead if they didn't miss the net in such key areas of the ice.

RDS.ca is saying that Markov's injury could be very serious, they;re saying he suffered Tendon damage to his ankle and could require surgery. We saw this happen last season with Robert Lang and it really hurt us. Now it's our best player which might force Gainey's hand on a trade to get a new #1 D. Because as well as Spacek played, I wouldn't ask him to put up the near 30 min a night that Markov does.

Got a fantasy league that needs some more players. We're doing a live draft on Wednesday the 7th at 7:30pm EST.

Its on yahoo, PM me if you're interested, all are welcome.

Guest Kingsonnn Dededoo

John Moore (property of Columbus) and Joel Skinner (draft-eligible in 2010) are going to be big in the NHL someday, mark my words.

Mike Mascioli can fuck off though, I've lost track of the number of games he's cost us or almost cost us. <_<

Kitchener's gonna have a good team this year. Not dominating the way we were in 07/08 or 02/03, but there's glimpses of the "able to come back from anything" mentality those two teams had. Not Mem Cup material, but at least able to get back to the playoffs and win a series or two.

Nice debut from Tavares, despite the loss. Sadly Wang's deadline for a decision on the Lighthouse project has passed without an answer. I really don't think he'll move the team to Kansas City considering the atrocious turnout they had in the preseason, but if he refuses to scale back the project the team might be Brooklyn bound.

If memory serves, the per capita turnout was comparable to Long Island, so they might be Kansas-bound. :w00t:

EDIT: But onto real teams...somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming! 2-0?!? A Colorado goalie getting a real shutout? This *isn't* NHL'10?

*glee*

Here are my 09/10 Season Predictions:

Eastern Conference

- Boston Bruins

- Washington Capitals

- Philadelphia Flyers

- New Jersey Devils

- Pittsburgh Penguins

- Ottawa Senators

- Carolina Hurricanes

- Montreal Canadiens

- Florida Panthers

- Toronto Maple Leafs

- Atlanta Thrashers

- Tampa Bay Lightning

- Buffalo Sabres

- New York Rangers

- New York Islanders

Western Conference

- Chicago Blackhawks

- Calgary Flames

- San Jose Sharks

- Detroit Red Wings

- Anaheim Ducks

- Vancouver Canucks

- Edmonton Oilers

- Columbus Blue Jackets

- St. Louis Blues

- Los Angeles Kings

- Minnesota Wild

- Phoenix Coyotes

- Nashville Predators

- Dallas Stars

- Colorado Avalanche

Playoffs

Boston d. Montreal

Washington d. Carolina

Philadelphia d. Ottawa

Pittsburgh d. New Jersey

Chicago d. Columbus

Calgary d. Edmonton

Vancouver d. San Jose

Detroit d. Anaheim

Boston d. Pittsburgh

Washington d. Philadelphia

Chicago d. Vancouver

Calgary d. Detroit

Washington d. Boston

Calgary d. Chicago

Washington d. Calgary

I'm just going to forget Toronto vs. Washington even happened last night. <_< That game shows just how long a ways the Leafs have to go before they're a competitive team. I'd paste my thoughts that I posted elsewhere, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to strip down and look at that game from a Leafs perspective.

Also, a random note: Shea Weber is a future Norris Winner. Book it. The Predators picking him up in the second round a few years back shows they've got a good scouting staff. Here's hoping with us not having any firsts for the next few years (erhm...) that our scouting staff can pick up some second round gems.

The Islanders are a fun team to watch this year. Tavares, Moulson, and Okposo are a really good line. Josh Bailey really shows sparks of being one hell of a hockey talent, and Mark Streit can shoot lasers off his stick. They're fast, quite skilled, and show a lot of promise. Not a very big team physically though...that may be a problem. They worked hard, and really came at the Penguins sometimes. Things are looking up on the Island (team talent-wise).

Edited by Drifter_2000

The same things that cost us the first game of the season cost us this one. Our "improved" defence looked atrocious. Once Komisarek and Beauchimen calm down, things should be better. Washington is the better team, but they should not pound us like that. The 6-4 score makes it seem closer then it really was. The Leafs only played well once the game was out of reach.

I think after a few more games or so, they'll be ok. But it's hard when you're playing a team like Washington. Washington is just amazing to watch right now.

I thought The rangers looked like a new fresh team. They're quick, they have youth, they have goaltending, and if they can keep out of the box.. they should find themselves somewhere around 6 or 7th place at the end of the season.

I think after a few more games or so, they'll be ok. But it's hard when you're playing a team like Washington. Washington is just amazing to watch right now.

I thought The rangers looked like a new fresh team. They're quick, they have youth, they have goaltending, and if they can keep out of the box.. they should find themselves somewhere around 6 or 7th place at the end of the season.

7-14 in the East is a crapshoot... so the Rangers could finish in a playoff spot, but I don't think they have what it takes to make it this season. Should be interesting to see what happens though, with all the changes made by those teams.

Once the Leafs settle down, they'll be fine. I believe strongly that they will challenge for a playoff spot this season. By the deadline, if a 5th place finish looks impossible, I don't think Brian Burke will be happy at all. Highest they finish is 8th, I believe, but I think they'll be in the hunt for a bottom 4 playoff spot right up to the end of the season.

I think Toronto's D is better than it's showed. It's the same way that Montreal is playing right now. We've had some periods where we dominate and it's time to plan the parade and then there's periods where we get a single shot on goal in a 1-1 game and we may as well start planning for the draft lottery. Montreal's entire team and Toronto's D I think will take 5-10 games to really get together and start playing to their potential... Although it is interesting that Toronto's top two free agents Komisarek and Beauchemin have been on the ice or in the box for all 10 goals against Toronto this year.

Brian Gionta batting the puck out of the air into the net after Gomez rifles it off the boards, masterpiece of a goal. It may be ugly so far, but we're getting it done.

Also, Carey Price looks like he's playing with a fire underneath him. He's been unbelievable in the first two games. I've noticed that he covers the bottom of the net unbelievably well and his glove side is improving. He also challenges the shooters a lot more than he did in the second half of the season last year. According to the talking heads that should be indicative of a higher confidence level. I should hope so.

Onto Calgary tomorrow where the first real test of the season lays. Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. If we can go 1-1-1 in those 3 games, I'd be happy. We'd have started the year off with 7 of 10 points and we'd have at least been able to compete in western Canada... unlike last season's 6-1, 7-2, 5-0 stretch through the 3 cities.

Dominic Moore eats crow and signs in Florida for 1.1 million. I really liked him as a Leaf the last two years (good offensive touch, saved Blake's career for a year at least) and it's unfortunate for him that he held out at the deadline for more than twice what he'll be making this year.