The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Okay, so I have to send you a list by when?

Also, how many players do we get per team?

One last question... are you sure you guys want to get spanked for a third straight year?

I try and pay attention all season for it, but around Dec/Jan, I just get bored/other people aren't paying attention. And how many of each position would you like us to send you?

25 players per team. Right now, it's set for 2 c, 2 lw, 2 rw, 3 f, 5 d, 1 util, 2 g, and 3 players you can put on the IR. I figure I'm going to change the IR down to 2 and the utility players to 2 though.

The sooner everyone sends me lists, the sooner I can draft. We need an even number of teams though, and right now we have 3. The league is set for 12, but we should be able to run with 8, maybe 6 if turnout is bad. But ideally ten or twelve would be nice.

Sent my list to Sean, and in as The Kimbo Slicers.

My list is just 32 guys I think. It's who I want to draft and in what position, as opposed to just the top 32 players in the league. If you approach it that way, you end up with a bunch of guys you don't really want and an unbalanced team.

I'm expecting that I'll be able to land at least 20 of my 32.

Habs get their pre-season started tonight. I think that the Habs pre-season is actually important for the team since there's so many new guys. I like Gomez and Cammy, they seem like good guys, except Gomez has to perform for his salary...

I feel kinda bad for Gomez, he seems willing to do whatever it takes, but looks a little over his head. He asked a very naive question and got laughed at "will it be a sell out tonight?".... poor guy.

Speaking of selling out, I was actually really surprised that the Leafs game last night wasn't sold out considering that what we've been told in Montreal(not sure how true) is that the game was free and ticekts were given out through a variety of promotions. It's not a shot at Toronto, it was just surprising since its one of only maybe 2 places that matches the intensity of fandom.

I'm quite upset that the game tonight isn't televised, tomorrow and the next 4 nights are apparently, but it's still a kick in the pants when you know its happening and you can't see it.

Dion Phaneuf just killed Kyle Okposo.

Not sure how seriously he's hurt, or whether he's still alive or not... but Phaneuf laid into Okposo with what I thought was a clean hit, but I only half-saw it, and they never showed a replay. I'll have to watch Sports Center later to see it.

Also, Leafs over Flyers, 4-0.

Good to see Kadri play with skill players tonight. Last night they had him with Orr and Primeau and he didn't generate too many chances despite getting an assist. Burke has used free agency and the draft to add some good prospects to this team like Kadri and Bozak. Even a JFJ pick like Viktor Stalberg is turning heads. He seems to be faster then any other Leaf right now.

Dion Phaneuf just killed Kyle Okposo.

Not sure how seriously he's hurt, or whether he's still alive or not... but Phaneuf laid into Okposo with what I thought was a clean hit, but I only half-saw it, and they never showed a replay. I'll have to watch Sports Center later to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WooGFHLZoVE

It's about as dirty as the Steve Moore on Naslund hit.

1. Okposo can't defend himself and doesn't have his head up.

It's not Phanuef's fault and he can still finish his check, but he could also have layed off. Okposo was shoved and seemed to duck to recenter himself and get his balance back, which prevented him from having his head up and seeing Phanuef or ducking the hit.

2. Phanuef leaves his feet.

Which means it's charging and a two minute penalty if it's spotted/called. If Okposo had his head up it probably wouldn't have been a huge issue, but still an illegal hit, though certainly not attempted murder.

The dude coming off the Islanders bench is likely going to get suspended because yeah that's so illegal.

Charging is just charging, it's not like boarding where sometimes just the act is indefensible. Charging is fine if the guy can see you coming and you just level the fuck out of him, then it's his own fault for not getting out of the way. Charging and finishing off a guy in an indefensible position is wrong, but it's not like he came out off the bench with an ice skate in his hand and ax murdered the guy.

DREGER: LEAFS AND BRUINS CLOSING IN ON KESSEL TRADE

Although it's not completed, sources say the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins are putting the finishing touches on a trade that will deliver Phil Kessel to the Leafs.

Toronto is awaiting the final call to confirm the deal while the Bruins are believed to be wrapping up all internal discussions before signing off.

Kessel, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Bill Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

That is from TSN.ca. If the price for Kessel is what was reported earlier (2 first rounders and a second rounder) then I don't like this deal. If it is just one first rounder and prospects, then it could be okay. Kessel is hurt and scored his 36 goals last year playing with one of the leagues best playmakers. He would probably be our most skilled forward, though.

I think patience is neccessary. Keep the picks and just draft smart. With our improved defence and a healthy Toskala competing Gustavvson, this years Leafs squad will be much better then last year and could possibly end up with a playoff spot. If not, then we draft high again.

DREGER: LEAFS AND BRUINS REACH AGREEMENT ON KESSEL TRADE

Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins have reached an agreement on a trade that will deliver Phil Kessel to the Leafs.

The trade is pending Kessel agreeing to a contract with Toronto. It's a process the Leafs are working on right now.

If the contract gets done, the deal is finalized and the trade goes through. If the Maple Leafs are unable to come to terms on a contract with Kessel, the deal may fall through.

The trade would end a saga that began during the lead-up to the NHL Draft when Kessel originally appeared to be headed to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Tomas Kaberle and a draft pick. However, the deal was scuttled at the last moment due to a miscommunication over the pick.

The Bruins had been unable to re-sign the 21-year old Kessel and the two sides were miles apart on a new contract. A restricted free agent, Kessel was reportedly looking for a deal in the neighbourhood of $4-5 million a season, while the Bruins, who are right up against the league mandated $56.8 million salary cap, could not afford to sign the Madison, Wisconsin native to the terms he desired.

Kessel informed the team through his agent last week that he was through negotiating and intended to sign an offer sheet with one of the league's other 29 clubs.

While both the Nashville Predators and New York Rangers had shown interest, Leafs' general manager Brian Burke's persistence finally paid off.

Kessel, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

Probably overpaying, but you're talking about a guy who was once debated as a number one overall pick before he started drinking. His behavioral problems will be quietly swept under the rug while he's in Toronto (I'm pretty sure they'll send the same sweeper they used to make Ed Belfour look like a professional), and if he can light a fire under his ass, he could be a good pickup.

If not, lol leafs.

It seems like a high price to me. If he can produce, he is the type of player we have been missing for awhile now. And I also remember his draft and the talk of him going #1. Burke knows more about this player then I do, so I am going to trust him for now.

He won't be in a Leafs uniform until November.

I'm guessing Burke saw how well Christian Hanson, Tyler Bozak and Viktor Stalberg have looked in the rookie tournament and camp and is now thinking we have some prospects in the system and that the picks were expendable. By adding Kessel and Kadri and Schenn, the Leafs have their building blocks in place. Toronto has the cap space to surround those guys with some good talent next year, and we do have Blake and Hagman and Grabovski too. If Gustavvson takes off, then watch out.

Edited by Toe

November is an optimistic estimate I'd say, given the nature of his injury.

I've read mid-November and Burke said he was on schedule, but you are right. He could be out a little longer.

I just found out that Kessel scored 36 goals despite playing on the Bruins second powerplay unit. He will get a ton of chances to shine on the top line with the Leafs. We suddenly have a top line player in our organization.

Not sure how I feel about this trade. For a team that still has some rebuilding to do in Toronto, to give up 2 firsts and a second seems a little excessive for a guy who only plays offense... but then when you really think about it, while the first round picks are likely to be kind of high in the next two years, they probably won't be top 10 like in the last 2 or 3, and while Kessel plays in his own end worse than Spezza, Toronto really doesn't have a legitamate scary offensive player, and Kessel will fill that hole.

It'll be a trade that if Kessel can produce like he did in Boston (but he should be looked at like Cammalleri where they played with a lot better linemates on their old teams than their new), than the trade would be a success. If Kessel pulls a Blake, than it's a terrible trade, but all that won't come out in the wash in 2 or 3 years. For now, I'm undecided if only because I don't see Kessel as worth that many picks.