The Hockey Thread

Clawson

To San Jose: Dany Heatley

To Ottawa: Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a 2nd Round Pick.

Good deal for Ottawa.

...considering Heatley put them in a bad spot, the Senators made out like fucking bandits in that deal.

To add, Ottawa sent a 5th Rounder with Heatley.

Still... I think it's a great deal for them. The way Cory Clouston coaches isn't made for prima donna players who want their opportunities handed to them. Michalek and Cheechoo are both guys who work hard to earn the extra ice time, and trust of their coach. They may not have the natural ability of Dany Heatley, but they're players much more suited to the environment.

The Senators have a good looking team heading into this season.

I like the trade. I don't think it makes Ottawa much better, but Heatley could have had a bad influence on the rest of the roster if forced to play the season in Ottawa. Cheechoo will be a steal if he can regain his form and Michalek is good. If Heatley is ready physically and mentally, he could be very dangerous playing with Joe Thornton. I think both teams win here.

The Canucks bested the Islanders 2-1 in Exhibition action tonight.

Of note:

The Vancouver squad, on paper, is much more talented... but they were out-hustled often by the Islanders team. I put this down to accessibility. By that I mean, roster spots being available. In Vancouver, a couple rookies might get in. In New York, practically every spot is up for grabs.

Shirokov is going to be awesome. A cheap and effective second line winger. He's around the net, not afraid to get physical and has co-ordination like Fedorov. Sergei... not Fedor.

Baumgartner and Lukowich are both playing hard to try and earn a spot in the top 6 on defense.

Raycroft was much more positionally sound than he's been in years... but it's training camp, and that could all go to shit.

Cory Schneider should be number 2 on the depth chart behind Luongo and in front of Raycroft... BUT, given the amount of games a backup plays for the Canucks, I would highly suggest keeping him in the AHL so that he plays regularly.

I'm excited about Shirakov. He sounds delightfully off kilter.

He's got all of the strengths of the Russians, and none of their weaknesses.

He's like the Blade of Hockey players... you know, if he started staking other Russian players...

I didn't get to see him backcheck or play defensively, so the jury is out on that, but he's an aggressive little guy who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, and he's got the skills and hockey intelligence to be a top guy.

He should play on one of the top two lines this year... but like my dad said, what should happen and what will happen are totally different... but with Vancouver so close to the cap, a Top 6 forward who's probably making less than $1 million a year is something they can't afford to pass up. I know they bolstered their defense by adding good depth, but they never did replace Ohlund. Maybe having Shirokov slide into a top spot will allow them to move somebody they don't need and free up some space to go after an Elite defenseman come Trading Deadline.

I'm excited about the guy, and I friggin' hate the Canucks. He's the perfect 3rd man for the Sedin's. Maybe not now, but in a year or two.

The Canucks right now have these forwards:

Steve Bernier

Alexandre Bolduc

Alexandre Burrows

Dan Gendur

Jannik Hansen

Cody Hodgson

Darcy Hordichuk

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Kesler

Mason Raymond

Rick Rypien

Mikael Samuelsson

Daniel Sedin

Henrik Sedin

Sergei Shirokov

Kyle Wellwood

Plus Michael Grabner is also alive.

Their first line is Sedin Sedin Burrows, and there will be no arguement about that.

Kesler is obviously their second line center which makes you wonder where Wellwood and Hodgson fit in. I think you put Shirokov with Kesler and maybe try Raymond/Bernier on the opposite side, see if chemistry develops. The third line is probably the hardest to make combinations, but the fourth line is likely Rypien/Johnson/Hordichuk, assuming that Johnson and Rypien can stay healthy.

Obvious cuts are are the Gendur Bender, Bolduc, Grabner. At this point unless Grabner blows the AHL out of the water in month one you have to start to wonder about his longterm viability.

Of course, things change a lot when Demitra comes off IR... unless the Canucks are winning.

Could be an interesting season.

I'd take Scott Hannan if he hadn't halved his point total last year. Not like twenty odd points per season is impressive, but at least it's passable.

To be fair, I remember a lot of people picking Vancouver to be 10th before they won their division that year.

But yeah, realistically, lol Avs.

We have defensemen, need scoring. Over here!

Aww, that's cute. He thinks Colorado is going to be in the hunt at the Deadline.

No I don't, I didn't say that. If you go back a few pages, I said the opposite. I think if we add some scoring, and if one of our goalies plays well we'll be in the hunt. But not now. 10th tops for us, 12th a more likely finish.

So I figured I would make a Yahoo fantasy league since I don't even remember who made the last one or if they are still alive.

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/159551

Password is wadebelak. It will run head to head just like last year, offline draft so people can send me draft lists and I'll do it manually.