The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Kaberle to Vancouver (E3)

"Kaberle (and a prospect) to Vancouver for Schneider and a #2 (e3) very solid"

- Eklund

SOURCE - Hockeybuzz.com

Aside from this being Eklund, I'd like to make a comment on how bad this trade looks from where I'm sitting. We're giving up a quality puck moving defenseman, and a prospect for a GOALIE prospect...and something? Maybe a second round pick, maybe a #2 screw driver?

Not really liking the looks of that trade. Goalie prospects (even Schneider - who's good) are like fine china. They can be excellent...or smash into a million pieces. More so than other prospects IMO.

Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way though. It's not like the deal is probably even real. Eklund is just throwing more shit against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Kaberle should only be moved if the return features someone who will play on the top two forward lines and produce points.

Gustavsson is still a maybe, and if not, Martin Gerber at a reduced rate, would be a much better option as backup than moving Kabs for another Justin Pogge. Schneider looks like he's going to be a good NHL goalie, but he's still a risk, and the Leafs have offensive holes to fill, and at least 6 teams who would be willing to move a point producing piece in exchange for a top defenseman.

Difference between Schneider and Pogge: How has Pogge done in the AHL? :P

Anyway, I don't want anything to do with that deal either. Kaberle had 31 points last year, which is less than Alexander Edler and Kevin Bieksa. In fact, it's only 6 more points than Mattias Ohlund had, and he doesn't look like a lost schoolboy if he has to skate backwards into his own zone. With what he makes, you guys can keep him. :P

Funny Sean, I think you might be missing a key stat there. Maybe something like number of games played?

31 points in 57 games

or

37 points in 80 games

43 points in 72 games

Hmmm....let's not forgot the games where Tomas tried to play with a broken hand and was clearly playing well below his usual skill level. So let's not be crazy and try and claim Kevin Bieska or Alex Edler are half the player that Kaberle is.

Rangers have signed Tyler Arnason... why?

Fortunately it's a two-way deal, stick him down in Hartford :shifty:

They also signed Corey Locke, who is a really good centerman with some pretty impressive credentials.

Looks like the Blueshirts are trying to pump up their depth charts so that they can actually make moves if they want to and make sure they have guys who can step in if there are injuries. I like these signings. Arnason and Locke are good additions.

Tomas Kaberle is the number one defenseman left "on the market". Anyone who's looking for back end help should be focused on him, and they should be prepared to give up a quality forward.

Schneider's AHL numbers are staggering, and I'm very interested to see how he does in the NHL, but at the same time, a young goalie is always a risk to take, and the position Toronto's in right now, where they hold the cards in terms of the best available d-man... well... they don't need to take risks. If they move him, they should receive a sure-fire thing in return.

Pffft, real men play entire seasons rather than sulking because of a broken hand. I have it on good authority that Alexander Edler played most of last season with a broken heart. Did he come to EWB and whine and cry in the Whiny Bitch thread because he didn't have any testicles? No, he went out on the ice, LIKE A MAN. Not like a Clawson, LIKE A MAN. Kaberle sits there whining about a broken hand. Pah. Talk to me when you're playing through a punctured lung, a severe concussion, or a broken heart, damage to a real organ rather than a little tiny bwuise on his fingerholder.

Sedins are back to the enemy again? Got it.

Sorry, you Leafs fans are so fair weather and inconsistent it's hard to tell sometimes who you guys are rooting for or loathing.

Sedins are back to the enemy again? Got it.

Sorry, you Leafs fans are so fair weather and inconsistent it's hard to tell sometimes who you guys are rooting for or loathing.

Sedins have never been our enemy. I'm just saying don't let the Sisters go across our blueline. It could be ugly.

Well, that much I agree on. The last thing I want to see is a urine soaked Vesa Toskala bawling in the fetal position because that red light just won't turn off.

Well, that much I agree on. The last thing I want to see is a urine soaked Vesa Toskala bawling in the fetal position because that red light just won't turn off.

If you shoot from outside the blueline that will probably happen. If you try to cross it I hope you have a good sweeper service at GM Place to remove the rotting carcases that will befall you.

Edited by Clawson