The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Grabovski will never be a 50 goal guy... Wow...

I think the contract might be a bit much for a guy who had a productive season last year but was no where to be found in the second half. At 2.9 it won't hurt obviously but for a guy who has 23 goals in 105 career games, I worry it might be a contract that gets in the way when Toronto fills out their roster and needs an extra mil or whatever. Either way Toronto needs him and it's good that they keep him.

Grabovski will never be a 50 goal guy... Wow...

I think the contract might be a bit much for a guy who had a productive season last year but was no where to be found in the second half. At 2.9 it won't hurt obviously but for a guy who has 23 goals in 105 career games, I worry it might be a contract that gets in the way when Toronto fills out their roster and needs an extra mil or whatever. Either way Toronto needs him and it's good that they keep him.

Leafs vs. Habs will be fun next year. Grabs running around pissing everybody off and Komikazi coming in and piledriving every Hab that looks at him funny.

And it'll be like Orges vs. Smurfs as I've seen it put elsewhere. Everytime one of Montreal's 5'9' players goes across the blueline they have a chance to be killed.

Grabs also gets paid 2.1 million less than Gionta for the same amount of goals. Me likey.

Edited by Clawson

Rob Rossi, the Penguins beat reporter for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review posted it on his Twitter and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's website has it.

Rossi got a text directly from Scuderi confirming the deal.

EDIT: 4-years, $3.5 million per year.

Edited by Evil Chase K

That is funny, but I am with Basha on his contract. He was good for the first half, but disappeared in the last half of the season. He has potential, but I think he will max out at 30 goals IF he can live up to his potential.

That is funny, but I am with Basha on his contract. He was good for the first half, but disappeared in the last half of the season. He has potential, but I think he will max out at 30 goals IF he can live up to his potential.

He hit 20 goals when he was being leaned on to perform, all while not being able to put aside any of his personal issues or believe the team could win. If Ron Wilson can whip him into shape, he's going to make Montreal fans wish they'd never let him go.

He reminds me of Kovalev, though, slightly less skilled. His physical presence makes up for that though.

He hit 20 goals when he was being leaned on to perform, all while not being able to put aside any of his personal issues or believe the team could win. If Ron Wilson can whip him into shape, he's going to make Montreal fans wish they'd never let him go.

He reminds me of Kovalev, though, slightly less skilled. His physical presence makes up for that though.

I watched almost every Leafs game, and most of what I saw from Grabovski was blind drop passes to the opposition and holding the puck for too long. His moments of brilliance were buried by stretches of invisibility. Wilson had a full season with him and Grabovski didn't get better through the year.

If they didn't see any improvement, I'm not sure Burke would have offered him a contract. He dropped off at the end of the season, no doubt... and he's a high risk player because of those stupid plays you mentioned... but surely the coaching staff saw something of an improvement in him. If not his game, maybe it was his attitude towards winning and putting in the effort. Maybe he was starting to understand where he still needs improvement.

If he can be coached to work on playing a smarter game, with his skills and presence, he would be a top line guy, no doubt about it. There are a lot of if's in the equation, but with the room that the Leafs have under the cap, re-upping a 20 goal guy who can be so much more IF everything falls into place with him... it's just a good investment.

Jordan Leopold signs with florida.. I guess the J-bo trade worked out.

Islanders take #1 Scott Munroe #2 Jeremy Reich #3 Bret Westgarth

Gabriel, Toronto had to sign Grabs 1) because yes he scores 20 goals and has the potential for 30. Also because he's one of the Leafs only offensive options at the moment.

Clawson, Gionta also has a 48 goal season under his belt and is a consistent scorer. While obviously Bob overpaid at least there's a track record with Gionta. Grabovski played first line minutes all season and I just worry that if Toronto looks to sign someone that Grabs contract is used as a precident and it somewhat handcuffs their negociating ability. If I'm a player who's put up 25 goals and 55 assists for 3 years now, and Toronto comes knocking, I'm thinking well if he got 3 per year why can't I get 5?

Also, The Rangers are where talented offensive hockey players go to die. Gionta will rebound.

You're right, Brian Gionta has had one 40 goal season in 6 full seasons. He usually scores around 20-25 a year....kinda like Jason Blake. His 40 goal season was the annomally much like Jason Blake.

Unluckly for you he makes one million more than Jason Blake.

Whatever, they're basically the same person. -_-

Beauchemin Closer to Signing with Leafs...than Habs. (E4)

"Still hearing that the Isles and Jackets are in on this."

- Eklund

Kaberle to Vancouver (E3)

"Kaberle (and a prospect) to Vancouver for Schneider and a #2 (e3) very solid"

- Eklund

SOURCE - Hockeybuzz.com

The Vancouver Canucks made their first move in the free agent market, adding winger Mikael Samuelsson with a three-year deal.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Samuelsson, 32, recorded 40 points in 81 games last season and 10 points in 23 playoff games with Detroit through to the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.

In 466 career NHL games, he has 208 points and 244 penalty minutes. The Mariefred, Sweden native was a member of the 2007.08 Stanley Cup Champion team and has produced a career total of 35 points in 69 postseason games.

Samuelsson was a member of Team Sweden, winning gold at the Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy in 2006, where he recorded four points in eight games.

The 6'1", 205-pound winger was drafted by San Jose 145th overall in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.

SOURCE - TSN.ca

Edited by Toe