The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Honestly, I think gomez will fit better with the Montreal. After Jagr, straka, and shan left the rangers... he had nobody to finish. That really killed his game.

This puts to rest the whole "Lecavalier to Montreal" situation, but I like the move. Despite his contract, Gomez will be a good player for the team. He fits better into the Montreal strategy then he did in New York.

Hell yeah bitches. Assuming this is the defense we go into next year with, and no one loads up on free agent d-men, then I will safely proclaim that out of all 29 other teams... no one... no one, will have a defense corps that can match ours.

I was a little worried that they wouldn't be able to sign him, but low and behold, Sutter pulls through.

Rumor reported on TSN:

Dany Heatley has been asked to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton in exchange for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid.

is he worth that much?

Rumor reported on TSN:

Dany Heatley has been asked to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton in exchange for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid.

is he worth that much?

He's a valuable asset, yes... and a very talented sniper... but Penner, if he can regain his game, is a net presence that Edmonton is severely lacking, Cogliano is a speedster who can very easily breakout as a star, and Smid is a reliable defenseman and a big body. The Oilers needed a big addition on the forward lines to increase the goal output, so they get that here, and lose three guys who could be beneficial to the team, but didn't really play that great last season. Ottawa, on the other hand, brings in Penner, who's size can help offset the loss of Chris Neil... Cogliano, who can take the spot of the departing Mike Comrie, and they bolster their defense corps with the addition of a big body in Smid.

Both teams win with the players involved in this deal, and it's good for all of them as well, as it's a fresh start and gives everyone new opportunities. I like it, and hope it goes through... but honestly, I didn't expect Heatley to get that good of a return.

Heatley deal looks to be DOA.

He didn't waive his clause before Midnight Eastern... but that could mean that he just wasn't able to in time, rather than that he rejected it. I don't see why he would reject it though, as Edmonton was on his list of teams originally.

Hopefully, for the sake of both teams, the deal does end up going through as planned.

Also... Gomez is going to have people around him that will make him better. The Kostitsyn's and Kovalev alone will make him look like gold.

He's also being paid 7.3 million and we got rid of a McDunnough. Gomez hasn't produced at all. Even if he's the second coming of Jesus, I'll still say the Habs overpaid horrendously for a guy who has stunk it up lately.

Ryan McDonagh was a stupid move to make. The Habs are in a little bit of trouble, and Gainey throws away a first round draft pick? Stupid.

I'll agree that they overpaid, but the fruits of this might end up being sweeter than anything McDonagh or Higgins could bring to the team... so I say, give it a chance. Besides, they only have 1/3 of a team for next season. Adding Gomez's contract eats up a lot, but it's not like they don't have the room.

You've been laughing at the moves of all the teams?

Calgary lands the most highly coveted free agent defenseman, which makes them a back end powerhouse, and you giggle like it's some horrible move?

Brian Burke is going to be the most exciting man to watch tomorrow.

Don't you have like 41.8 million tied up in 8 players? I mean, a year after you lose the division title because of Cap Problems you go out and sign ANOTHER high-priced player.

You'll have the best defense in the league until they all get injured and you're forced to play Ignila at all 5 positions at once.

Don't you have like 41.8 million tied up in 8 players? I mean, a year after you lose the division title because of Cap Problems you go out and sign ANOTHER high-priced player.

You'll have the best defense in the league until they all get injured and you're forced to play Ignila at all 5 positions at once.

I'm not sure what the numbers are exactly, but I fully expect some moves to be made to bring in cheaper guys who can play the positions. Vandermeer out for Prust was one such move. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aucoin gone either... and either Langkow or Conroy might be trade bait, with us being so deep down the middle. Backlund is supposed to challenge for a spot, and Greg Nemisz is a center, if I recall correctly.

I have faith that Sutter won't make the same mistake twice.

They should be okay. They have some young players coming up. Injuries could be an issue for them, but they should be okay at least at the beginning of the year as long as Kipper is his normal self.

You mean the usual Kipper who has had his numbers decline every year since the lockout?

Yes, that one.

I think he needs a more capable backup goalie. Either that, or they need to put some more faith in McElhinney and let the kid try to swim. If he sinks, then oh well, at least you gave him the shot. If they manage to free up some space though, I'd love to see them bring someone in to play 20 games or so.

On the goaltending front, I think Edmonton needs to let Roloson go, bring in a Brian Boucher type, and split the games 50/50. Deslauriers NEEDS to play. if he doesn't start getting somje games, he's going to completely bomb when they try handing him the reigns in the future.

Uh, I wouldn't celebrate about signing Bouwmeester. If you gave him a deal sweet enough to get him to not wait until tomorrow, chances are it capstrings you and lends a LOT of credence to the rumor that Bouwmeester is their replacement for Dion Phanuef.

Uh, I wouldn't celebrate about signing Bouwmeester. If you gave him a deal sweet enough to get him to not wait until tomorrow, chances are it capstrings you and lends a LOT of credence to the rumor that Bouwmeester is their replacement for Dion Phanuef.

Eh... the reports say 6.6, which leaves 5 or so under, and like I said, I fully expect some moves. Langkow or Conny, and Phaneuf wouldn't be a huge disappointment, as long as the return was good. But he played for Brent Sutter in junior, and I think Darryl wants to see if that will bring his game back to where it was.