Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

TheGeneral:

Yes, Owen did do more than just score that goal against City. He scored to help us get on our way to winning our (probably) only trophy this season and scored a hat-trick against Wolfsburg in the Champions League. Plus, if my memory serves me right, he did get a goal or two more in the group stage. Add the other few goals he scored in both the League and the Carling Cup and you have a pretty decent season for an injury-prone "hasbeen" who was our third-choice striker before his injury. Plus we got him for free, so...

Whisper in the Wind:

Now that I checked and compared the records of Tevez and Berba, there certainly isn't a big difference. And you're absolutely right about Berbatov being treated unfairly amongst the press and even some of the fans, but hell, I've tried to like the guy for so long - but he just doesn't seem to be cut out for the job at a top four team, at least not at Man United. And just to get this straight, I wasn't a big fan of Tevez either last season and I thought it was the right thing to let him go, but now I think we should've kept him and get rid of Berbatov. It's the attitude that bothers me: while Tevez was keeping the bench warm throughout the season, he still had the fire in him to come on as a sub and score important goals for us - and Nani is another great, an even better example of that driven attitude which Berbatov clearly doesn't have.

• Admin

I would love it if Spurs finished above Arsenal.

Not because I like Spurs better or anything. The indignation of Gooners would just be funny to watch. :pervert:

Of course we'd get the angry "it's only the first time in 485345235 years enjoy it now you small club Yido cunts" response.

Bit like when we beat then 5-1 and it apparently didn't count.

• Like 1

What was the point in a pitch invasion? One team safe and one team relegated? That calls for pitch invasions?

Well, yeah. We saw it yesterday at Wednesday-Palace (then again that was mainly wednesday fans running after a Palace player) and we often see it on the final day. Perhaps it was a bit daft here today, but then again Grimsby fans invaded the pitch on saturday purely because they'd stopped themselves going down for a week...theyre still a point adrift and have to win next week and hope Barnet lose :lol:

And from everything I have heard Owen is paid less then the likes of Ben Foster and receives bonuses based on appearences/goals etc.

When we signed Owen we were ridiculed but he was great in the Carling Cup Run, scored a vital goal against City. He was a bit of a stopgap signing but it's worked out

I also dont think it's a co-incidence that Rooney's positioning has improved so much since Owen's come into United, every time I have seen Owen play for us he gets into fantastic positions...his finishing may not be what it once was but I think it's had a good effect on Rooney.

Wenger fucking hates it when teams dare to use their advantages over his band of young kids. Even if Arsenal scored their best chances and got their pen, we would have still scored more with the offside goal, MGP's best chance and our own pen. We were, first 10-15 minutes aside, the better team and that hurts Wenger more than anything.

Exactly. As the commentator said during the match if Arsenal had the defence that everyone always associates them with (Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn) then they'd have been able to cope with Blackburn's style of play. Wegner's problem is that he sacrifices strength in defence for fluidity going forward and he can't turn around an complain about it when a team exploit his teams weaknesses. Although I think complaining solely about the physical side of Rovers game completely ignores the fact that on a number of times we played through the middle of Arsenal's defence to create chances.

Also, Fabianski couldn't command an area against a group of six year olds nevermind Chris Samba and Jason Roberts.