Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

I just wanted to point out that last season Tevez scored I believe 1 more goal than Berbatov, whilst playing more minutes... and with Berbatov getting vastly more assists.

So any of these claims of Tevez being the second coming are unjustified if you ask me. I think people forget how poor he actually was in the latter half of last season.

Still, next season we'll have Hernandez not scoring and everyone complaining that we signed such a young, unknown striker... whilst screaming about how we should play Macheda every week ;)

• Like 1

Berbatov is just a strange one. I've not been hard on him at all, but the fact is that you cant blame it on motivation and pathetic shit like that for him being piss poor at times. Over the last few weeks it felt like he'd finally picked up his game, then he just had an awful game yesterday. I'll be highly surprised if he's with us next season, because whether he's got great technique and all this or not, he's just not performed well enough most of the time. He's had an entire season of chances too and has been impressive for about a quarter of that, which for a top team in Europe just isn't good enough.

So while I really do like the guy and have tried to give him every chance possible, it just feels like next week will be the end for him at United.

And the answer the question on Owen, yes, he did do stuff outside of that one goal. Everybody laughed at the FREE signing, yet he was damn good while fit. We got him for nothing and he proved he's still a great finisher when given the chance. Important goals against City and in the final against Villa plus putting his all into his performances is certainly enough to please me from a free signing of that age.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect
  • Like 1

Berbatov is just a strange one. I've not been hard on him at all, but the fact is that you cant blame it on motivation and pathetic shit like that for him being piss poor at times. Over the last few weeks it felt like he'd finally picked up his game, then he just had an awful game yesterday. I'll be highly surprised if he's with us next season, because whether he's got great technique and all this or not, he's just not performed well enough most of the time. He's had an entire season of chances too and has been impressive for about a quarter of that, which for a top team in Europe just isn't good enough.

So while I really do like the guy and have tried to give him every chance possible, it just feels like next week will be the end for him at United.

And the answer the question on Owen, yes, he did do stuff outside of that one goal. Everybody laughed at the FREE signing, yet he was damn good while fit. We got him for nothing and he proved he's still a great finisher when given the chance. Important goals against City and in the final against Villa plus putting his all into his performances is certainly enough to please me from a free signing of that age.

But it was good enough for Tevez? Or because Tevez ran around like a lunatic it made up for him being woeful most of the season? This is what I don't understand. Tevez and Berbatov have very similar records during their respectives time at Old Trafford, yet Tevez can do no wrong and Berbatov can do nothing right. Just seems to me that Berbatov can have a decent game and people will still criticise, whereas if say, Rooney, had the same game he'd be hailed as a genius.

Yes, he hasn't been good enough. That much is obvious. But neither was Tevez, hence why he was sold and why Berbatov will probably be sold this summer. I just think Berbatov gets an unfair press at times, purely because he's a popular figure to dislike.

• Like 1

But it was good enough for Tevez? Or because Tevez ran around like a lunatic it made up for him being woeful most of the season? This is what I don't understand. Tevez and Berbatov have very similar records during their respectives time at Old Trafford, yet Tevez can do no wrong and Berbatov can do nothing right. Just seems to me that Berbatov can have a decent game and people will still criticise, whereas if say, Rooney, had the same game he'd be hailed as a genius.

Yes, he hasn't been good enough. That much is obvious. But neither was Tevez, hence why he was sold and why Berbatov will probably be sold this summer. I just think Berbatov gets an unfair press at times, purely because he's a popular figure to dislike.

Personally I haven't said anything about Tevez. I certainly didn't say he was spectacular, but he did clearly work his ass off. He may not have been superb or completely outshined Berbatov, but he was a completely different player and to be quite frank, more effective than what Berbatov actually was.

And people keep going on about the Rooney stuff like everybody worships him. If Rooney has a bad game, nobody hails him as a genius. The big difference is that when Berbatov has a bad game, it's seriously bad in all areas. Whereas if Rooney has a bad game upfront, he usually makes up for it in other areas, such as work rate, getting back to defend, his vision, his passing and so on. That's the huge difference, even when he's playing badly, Rooney can still be effective, while Berbatov clearly hasn't when playing poorly.

Again, I don't dislike the guy. Before yesterday, I thought he had finally started to up his game a little and finally begin to put the work effort in and show that he was trying to fight for his place. Want an example? Look at Nani. Touted as leaving the club and having a bust up with Fergie and apparently not good enough. How does he take it and respond? He fights for his place and career at the club. It doesn't matter that people have doubted him and unmotivated him. If by some miracle Berbatov did stay, then good, I've got nothing against the guy and I want to see him finally hit the heights that I believe he can. But the fact is he's been nowhere near good enough and nothing what so ever excuses that with the time and chances he's had.

• Like 1

Owen was a positive surprise

I get the fact that he scored the vital goal against City... but did he really do anything else other than that before picking up another horrible injury?

Got us back into a game we could've easily been out of in the Carling Cup final, minutes before that injury, too...

But are 2 (or 3 if you count the Wolfsburg game) major contributions in a season really good enough? I know he didn't command a transfer fee, but he hasn't made all that much difference to the campaign anyway, has he?

I hate when people say "it was a free transfer, Fergie didn't pay anything for him"

Who dya think pays his wages? :rolleyes:

Hull's defence is showing everyone why they're in the position they are at the end of the season. They've been horrendous so far and what they were thinking letting Moses drift in off that wing like that for the first goal I'll never know. Wigan should really take this game today, wouldn't be surprised to see Rodaellga score or Moses pick up a second in this half and retake the lead.

Also, HttK, your Gunners are going down this afternoon!