Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

you should have felt calm after the 1st goal went in we just died after that considering we were on top before that backpass from Gerrard... Only thing to cheer me up slightly is if Sunderland get a point or win

I'm rather accepting really. Dire season, worst for a long time but not the worst we've had. The club is not in a great place right now. One thing I will say now is that maybe the pressure will be off the team next season. I think the expectation of "we're going to win the league" not really being there last year helped the performances where as the pressure of having to match that performance didn't help this season. Never mind the fact that injuries blighted us and our captain and vice captain have been hideously poor.

• Like 1

last season was our best chance but i'm looking forward to the summer as it'll be interesting to see how we can bounce back, what changes will be made etc. Our away record was abysmal this season and games where we should have won we didn't, too defensive at times but when we play games with attacking intent.

you should have felt calm after the 1st goal went in

I believe that if a football fan actually feels calm in a game that important, even it goes that way, then there is something seriously unnatural with them in the head.

that goal just sucked the game out of us and just turned the tide so much. The better team won and you's were unlucky not to get more, if it wasn't for Pepe it could have been like 4-0, 5-0. But after what Fergie said on Sky then well it's made me a bit more happier about the result :P

"It's not what we wanted - that's for sure. I thought Liverpool could do something. It's hard to expect them to win against Chelsea. The first goal? It can happen and I'm sure Gerrard will regret it, but it's happened. We've got to do our job - that's the pride and history of the club. We can't win everything. If we win today we can take it to the last day. It's that simple."

Dunno the way he came across at the start of it just bugged me, also some Man.U fans i know what they've been saying well just made the result more copable. I think Man.U will win today but i'm not counting Sunderland out

Seeing us captulate so badly against Chelsea is made a bit better by all the Man Utd fans on Facebook/Twitter/here being all like FFS GERRARD YOU SCOUSE TWATS CAN'T EVEN DO ONE THING RIGHT!!! Nice to see them investing so much emotion in a Liverpool match.

• Like 1

Essentially they think its some huge conspiracy or something.

Casually forgetting that this Liverpool side lost to Pompey this season whilst giving their best.

It was only really going to go one way, and by about half time, even the Liverpool players looked like they'd resided themselves towards defeat

It'll be all over the papers tomorrow rumours of a consiparcy of Gerrard throwing the game. Sunderland look up for it here though

edit: moment i post this Nani scores, good goal.

Edited by davidmarrio

Okay. All you people who defend Berbatov when he's criticized, please stand up. I want to hear your arguments again 'cause I just can't understand what the fuck he is doing in a club like Man United.

So please, enlighten me.

• Like 1

The thing with Berbatov is that whilst he's definitely a good player, he just doesn't fit in our system. He works best as a link between the midfield and Rooney (and has done that role quite well in a lot of games this season). The problem is that he wants too much time on the ball - something that doesn't quite work when the other team puts pressure on us.

Edited by Dynamite
  • Like 1

Okay. All you people who defend Berbatov when he's criticized, please stand up. I want to hear your arguments again 'cause I just can't understand what the fuck he is doing in a club like Man United.

So please, enlighten me.

If you were made the scapegoat for our poor season how would you feel? The guy has no motivation whatsoever and nor should he have really, everyone has been on his back from day one and unfortunately that isn't the sort of pressure that brings the best out of most people.

Add to that he isn't used remotely properly within our system and spends most of his time on the bench, you can't honestly expect that much from him.

The bolded part of your statement shows everything that is wrong with certain United fans these days. Right now, with the form he's showing, Berbatov should be at a club "like Man United". What's happened to him sums up our season perfectly if you ask me. It's not even like the rest of them have been so good they've made Berbatov look bad. Berbatov has basically been criticised for not carrying our season on his shoulders. The bastard. Funnily enough, we don't have a divine right to win everything... and we definitely don't deserve to win the league this season. If you think we do, or you think Berbatov is to blame for that, then you know very little about football and only serve to give people more reasons to hate United fans. I could name you plenty of our squad that have been worse than Berbatov this season but it wouldn't matter, all that would come back is "30 MILLION OMGFFSBERBATOVSHIT". It's not his fault we paid over the odds for him in an already inflated transfer market.

Uh oh. At the World Cup, if Rooney keeps taking digs at players when the ball is robbed off him then we're gonna be down to ten men pretty quickly.

This. Rooney returning to petulant child mode when things don't go his way does not bode well for our World Cup hopes.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind
  • Like 1

Berbatov in Man United is similar to Ibrohimavic in Barcelon

Good players in their own regard... but just horrible in the situation in how they're playing.

Ironically, both also have the exact same playing problem. They need the ball placed in their general direction BEFORE the opposition defence has had time to utterly regroup, they leave it too late to pass to him and as a consequence think it's crazy that he can't manoeuvre himself around three men in the penalty area <_<

If you were made the scapegoat for our poor season how would you feel? The guy has no motivation whatsoever and nor should he have really, everyone has been on his back from day one and unfortunately that isn't the sort of pressure that brings the best out of most people.

I'm not calling him "a scapegoat for our poor season" and I do agree with you that we don't deserve to win the title. But it is frustrating to have a player up front who can't seem to score when it matters - or score at all, and instead throw away loads of fantastic chances. Sure, he's scored 12 goals this season but looking at the chances he's had, he should've certainly scored more. That's what's annoying me, not the fact that he's not our top guy or that Sir Alex paid over 30 million to get him.

Add to that he isn't used remotely properly within our system and spends most of his time on the bench, you can't honestly expect that much from him.

Well... the little man from Argentina did score a bunch of goals last season even though he spent a lot more time on the bench. :shifty:

The bolded part of your statement shows everything that is wrong with certain United fans these days. Right now, with the form he's showing, Berbatov should be at a club "like Man United".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is that, since we most likely won't win the title this season, Man United should settle for less and be happy with "lesser" players?

Just to get this straight, I'll be pleased with this season no matter what happens next Sunday, and I'm not one of those fans who throw a tantrum and get all bitchy 'cause we don't win everything. Hell, Rooney turned into one of the best players in the world, Valencia has had a great debut season, Owen was a positive surprise, Giggs had a fabulous few months early on and Nani turned the corner around and has really made a name for himself in the past couple of months - so it's not been that bad, eh?

But still, United are a massive club and everyone expects us to win the Premier League and make it in the top four in Europe - and having better finisher alongside (or to fill in for) Rooney than Berbatov would improve our chances of doing so. And even if I myself won't be too disappointed if we're not able to win all the big trophies, it is without a doubt the target United are aiming for. That's what I meant when I said "a club like Man United". I think it just proves my point when you call our season poor when we still have a chance, even if it's really slim, to win the title on last day of the season. And this has happened after losing the best player in the world and a player like Tevez in the summer.

Edited by Shelty92
  • Like 1