Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Terrible first half, maybe our worst of the season. Completely out played by Chelsea so far and I don't see how we can ever win this game with the team we've got on. Macheda HAS to be thrown into the mix, because we're just completely lacking up the top so far. Unless something changes, I can see Chelsea getting another one or two in this game.

If Chelsea can start the second half like they did against Villa...as opposed to like they did against Blackburn...then we can see this out.

Still, nothing more than a minor advantage accrued as yet.

Forget Macheda for now, throw on Nani for Giggs. If I didn't read the team-sheet I wouldn't know he was even playing. In short, we're just too slow in midfield. Not getting the ball to the attackers quick enough, not closing them down quick enough, not tracking back quick enough. The space they have when they are on the counter is ridiculous.

Putting aside my obvious hatred of Manchester United...

Macheda isn't the change that you'd want to be making to alter a team like Chelsea, the problem is service and you'll be struggling to find any service from Scholes or Giggs today.

It's not so much they don't have the skill, it's more that they don't have the pace to be taking the ball away from Chelsea thus begin the counter attack.

Carrick should have started this, as should Nani... but once again Fergie decided to play his old guard in the match that mattered.

Put those two on and you'll get a much fairer fight in the second half, keep those two on and you're going to be destroyed.

Putting aside my obvious hatred of Manchester United...

Macheda isn't the change that you'd want to be making to alter a team like Chelsea, the problem is service and you'll be struggling to find any service from Scholes or Giggs today.

It's not so much they don't have the skill, it's more that they don't have the pace to be taking the ball away from Chelsea thus begin the counter attack.

Carrick should have started this, as should Nani... but once again Fergie decided to play his old guard in the match that mattered.

Put those two on and you'll get a much fairer fight in the second half, keep those two on and you're going to be destroyed.

Because this 'old guard' has worked numerous times before. It was a risk, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

I'd rather see something different in Macheda coming on. Would it change the game? I have no idea, but it'd be the same amount of a risk as bringing on Nani, who is always hit or miss. If things don't change halfway into the second half, Macheda has to be brought in to shake things up, certainly when this game is arguably the most important of the season.

Yeah, Nani and Carrick should've definately started for us. Even though I hate to admit it, Giggs (and Scholes, especially) has been shit thus far while Nani is enjoying the best couple of months he's had in quite some time, so why not give him the chance to put on a good performance when it really matters? And Carrick should be brought in just to contain Scholes from getting sent off today. <_<

Plus the United fans have been horrible. C'mon, it's the biggest match of the season and you're letting the Chelsea fans repeatedly take shots at you at Old Trafford? Jesus.

but it'd be the same amount of a risk as bringing on Nani, who is always hit or miss.

Yeah, but you go with form in football. From what I've seen this year, Nani has been in good form in the bigger matches this year. That's simple little chart that I'd figure "football smart" guys (ie - SAF) would have in thier inbox/mental notepad.

Deco's long-ball distribution has been poor today. The rest of his game has been fine, and Lord knows I'd rather have him than Michael "Let me kick people and then only get angrier when I'm booked" Ballack in midfield at the moment, but I'd really prefer he left the task of sending balls out to Malouda/Cole to someone else. >_>

I know the feeling, mang. I don't like Chelski, but if Sir Alex loses, I'll gladly root Chelski on. Joe Cole's been having a tremendous game so far, and props to him. If anyone deserves to get his form back, it's Joe Cole.