Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

No Drogba today. Chelsea's line-up is identical to that against Villa.

I've suspected ever since January that Chelsea actually play a lot better overall when Drogba's not on the pitch. I guess now's the time to find out.

Perhaps he could be brought on to ram things through if they get troublesome later on. :shifty:

And yes, this is a perfect move for Chelsea because Ferguson will probably not have considered this option.

No Drogba means that they can focus a lot more on the wings and attempt to terrorise whoever is playing at LB and RB

In other words they're just going to mimic Bayern, which could backfire pretty badly as fixing that problem would probably be the first thing that Fergie would do :/

We need to play with width anyway, and our current formation facilitates that better. When we play more narrowly (e.g. the 4-4-2 diamond or the Christmas Tree), unless the centre-backs are utterly inept we'll just bang our heads on a brick wall for 90 minutes. United are not generally that inept. :shifty:

Looking to Malouda and Lampard for the goals today, and for Anelka to set them up. Our best avenue is down the left flank with Malouda and Zhirkov linking up, but we'll see.

I've never noticed how old the core of our team actually is. The average age must be somewhere near Chelsea's today.

Usually Scholes and Giggs don't *both* start though, do they?

• Admin
"Chelsea have won all six of their Premier League matches without Drogba in the starting XI this season, scoring 25 goals in the process."

But on the other side of the coin,

"It is over three years since Didier Drogba started on the bench for Chelsea and scored in a Premier League match."

From my point of view it's got to be hard for Ancelotti to drop anyone from the side which mauled Villa. It's definately going to be interesting seeng as you have taken away around 50 goals with no Rooney or Drogba.

"It is over three years since Didier Drogba started on the bench for Chelsea and scored in a Premier League match."

How many games has Drogba ever started on the bench though, seriously? :shifty: Usually he's either in or completely out.

Again, I'd be happy with any sort of win today, even a scrappy 1-0. Cant predict it what so ever though. Part of me sees a scrappy draw, the other part of me can actually see Chelsea pulling off a big win. Hopefully Berbatov can continue his recent great form and maybe an appearance from Macheda? :wub:

.. Neville's been starting most games the last few weeks, including the loss to Munich, the win over Bolton and the win over Liverpool, so how exactly is it decided?