Jose Canseco to make MMA debut

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

This deserves its own thread. And then some.

On May 26th, DREAM (Japanese MMA promotion) is holding the first round of what they're calling a "Super Hulk Grand Prix" tournament. Matches include:

Jose Canseco vs. Choi Hong Man (330 lbs., mostly a freak show fighter)

Sokoudjou (had two big wins in PRIDE at 205, flamed out in UFC) vs. Jan Nortje (340 lbs.)

Minowaman (no idea) vs. Bob Sapp

Gegard Mousasi (actually a top-level fighter at 185) vs. Mark Hunt (290 lbs.)

This is, um...awesome?

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Jose must be researching a new book?

When he loses, he'll instantly accuse the guy of being on roids, anyway. :shifty:

It's Japan, there's no testing, and I can guarantee that at least half those guys will be on roids :P

Also, there's no question that Canseco's losing. Mousasi's really the only "little guy" I can see winning any of these matches.

Minowaman, I'm assuming is Ikuhisa Minowa. I like him well enough, and his wrestling skills are pretty darn good... but Bob Sapp is going to kill him. He's going to kill him so hard.

EDIT: Minowa usually fights at 185.

Edited by tiarnantman

When he loses, he'll instantly accuse the guy of being on roids, anyway. :shifty:

Choi had surgery on his pituitary? glands to stop his growth. I believe he is 7'4"? He has decent stand-up for being that big with minimal movement, and all things considered he didn't do THAT bad against Fedor.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Choi had surgery on his pituitary? glands to stop his growth. I believe he is 7'4"? He has decent stand-up for being that big with minimal movement, and all things considered he didn't do THAT bad against Fedor.

Not sure what you're implying with that last bit, but if anybody gives Canseco even the slightest chance, they don't know what they're talking about.

Choi is a solid kickboxer (wins over Schilt, Goodridge, and other impressive names). In an MMA match, he's vulnerable to submissions - as Fedor showed us, and I'm sure the bigger the opponent gets, the less submission skill he needs to have to overwhelm Choi.

Yes, the Cro Cop fight showed us that Choi is vulnerable to a world-class striker. Jose Canseco is not a world-class striker (and there's a sentence I never expected to have to type), nor does he have Fedor's submissions or Choi's kickboxing skill. Couple in that he's facing someone, y'know, NEARLY TWICE HIS SIZE, and Canseco'll be lucky to get out of this one with his dignity.

Not sure what you're implying with that last bit, but if anybody gives Canseco even the slightest chance, they don't know what they're talking about.

I wasn't implying anything --- I just stated that Choi did not do that badly against Fedor when they fought.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Zeddy

bump

The show goes early Tuesday morning (EST) and airs live on HDNet for any insomniacs in North America. Also available at the other usual locations.

MPH is considering waking up a little early to watch most of it before work. :shifty:

bump

The show goes early Tuesday morning (EST) and airs live on HDNet for any insomniacs in North America. Also available at the other usual locations.

MPH is considering waking up a little early to watch most of it before work. :shifty:

When does it start? I would consider getting up to watch it.

This is their second fight. Jacare subbed him in the MWGP last year, and the only reason this is going on is because Mousasi vacated the Middleweight title to move up in weight.

I know, I watched it on HDNet Fights. I enjoyed the entire MWGP, except for Jacare eating an upkick.

Edited by Toe