2009 MLB Season

sahyder1

#300 for The Big Unit. Yet another pitching statistic that may never be reached again.

Someone will reach it. Look how long Johnson's stuck around to get those last 30 wins. Nobody will get it for 10 years. But Halladay, Sabbathia, and Santana all have to get considerations as potential 300-game winners. If they pitch well long enough, and are lucky enough to be on good teams late in their careers, they'll be able to rack up enough wins where they play into their early-40s to get to that milestone.

He's pretty much proven that tenfold.

But there's also something to be said about him being able to not be the main guy on a team later on in his career which would probably lead to a few more wins, etc.

#300 for The Big Unit. Yet another pitching statistic that may never be reached again.

Someone will reach it. Look how long Johnson's stuck around to get those last 30 wins. Nobody will get it for 10 years. But Halladay, Sabbathia, and Santana all have to get considerations as potential 300-game winners. If they pitch well long enough, and are lucky enough to be on good teams late in their careers, they'll be able to rack up enough wins where they play into their early-40s to get to that milestone.

Halladay's not even halfway there with 140 and he's already 32. You're talking 16 wins per season for 10 more years. That's possible, but not likely if he stays in Toronto. Even if you bump his average up to 20/yr you're still looking at him having to be dominant until he's 40.

Sabathia's at 122 and will be 29 next month. His size and the fact that he's only ~160 IP behind Halladay who is known as a workhorse make him iffy at best. If Cheeseburger Cheeseburger gains any "man weight" as he hits his 30's I can't see his body holding up to win another 178 games.

Santana's at 116, and plays for my Mets. He has no shot since they've already denied him about 10 wins in 1 1/3 seasons <_<

Edited by naiwf

Red Sox might be trying to trade for Adam Dunn or Josh Willingham to replace David Ortiz?

That's a deal that has to happen. I doubt anyone would want Papi's salary in return, so they'll reasonably have to hold onto him. Dunn's salary is a lot bigger, but this is Boston. I assume they aren't rumored to give up much for Willingham, but who could potentially be given up for Dunn?

Guest musick
Red Sox might be trying to trade for Adam Dunn or Josh Willingham to replace David Ortiz?

That's a deal that has to happen. I doubt anyone would want Papi's salary in return, so they'll reasonably have to hold onto him. Dunn's salary is a lot bigger, but this is Boston. I assume they aren't rumored to give up much for Willingham, but who could potentially be given up for Dunn?

I would like to see a package including Papelbon, but it won't happen. Why? Daniel Bard looks like he can assume the role of closer sooner than expected, Papelbon is going 'year-by-year' and wants to be paid like a top closer, and his performance has been shaky at best. Sure, he gets the saves, but he has been living on the edge. I don't think the Red Sox are willing to part with Lars Anderson, Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, and one of the Michael Bowden and Justin Masterson duo. Brad Penny will be traded when Smoltz comes back, but he won't command a Dunn or even a Willingham, and doubt he's worth much in a package. We shall see.

Can we trade Daisuke? :unsure:

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Papelbon IS a top closer, but this year he hasn't been lights out and he is showing signs of becoming shaky.

P.P.S. Beckett in his last seven starts? 47.2 IP, 9 ER, 31 H, 16 BB, 45 K.

Edited by musick

Okay, so now that the first rounds of he draft are over and Ben Sheets no longer costs a team a first rounder, any bets on how long before he signs? I really hope the Jays are in on him, they wanted to wait to see if they stay in it before they added anyone and I think a game and a half out of the division in the middle of June qualifies as "in it".

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently he's headed to James Andrews this week hoping to get clearance to begin throwing and maybe back for the end of the season.

Edited by Captain Awesome

I don't see a team like the Jays getting him because it'll have to be a "wait and see" deal whether he even pitches in 2009. If a team signs him before it's made certain he's coming back it'll be one of the teams with a lot of money to throw around. However, if he's still available closer to the end of the season I can see a huge bidding war for his services down the stretch.

I'm fairly certain he's going to Texas to reunite with former Brewers pitching coach Mike Maddux. That was the talk when he hit the market and with them contending, I don't imagine that will change a whole lot.

If he wasn't out for the year, he was off to Texas.

Boston is now 8-0 vs. the Yanks this season.

It'd be insane to trade Papelbon, at least right now. The backlash would be outrageous. I couldn't see Bard stepping in to close, especially since we haven't seen much of him in Boston in any role. The 7th and 8th end up being Okajima, Ramirez, and Saito territory. Dice-K is probably not going anywhere either, considering the ludicrous 51M transfer fee. He does put up numbers, though it sure looks ugly in the process.