Formula One 2009

Adam

Yes, but Rubens also came in five laps earlier than he had to, apparently, because they knew he would pass Lewis if they brought him in early - so I imagine that had he stayed out, he might have had the pace to come in to the pits and get out ahead of Lewis based on sheer speed alone, even if Lewis' stop had gone right.

I think the fact is that Badoer looked off the pace the ENTIRE weekend, in a car that was proven to be able to come 3rd. Grosjean had to pit after the first lap incident and STILL passed Badoer, and this was Grosjean's first ever F1 race. Qualifying 1.5 seconds behind Alguesuari isn't really excusable either, considering it's the kid's second GP. Alguesuari at least was able to keep up with the pack in Hungary, and he'd not had a season of F1's experience (even if it was 10 years ago) behind him.

So, Spa time once again. Yayzers for one of my favourite tracks, and even better, there's a chance that it could rain on Sunday, which'll make for a great race no doubt (and hopefully one as batshit random as Spa '98). Badoer is still like, a second slower than everyone, by the by, while Red Bull are looking pretty good...as is Alguesuari, who got like, 6th in FP2.

As for the gool ol' "Who's going where next year!?" saga, the latest rumour is that Kimi is staying, and he's going back to McLaren. Which, really? REALLY!? That's just going to be completely bizzare if he does.

Argh, I hope Kimi doesn't go back to McLaren. Since he left, I've started to like him even more, and now thoroughly hate McLaren. I'd love to see Kimi team up with Button at Brawn if Barrichello leaves, that'd be potentially awesome.

Bwahahaha. Oh, how I love Spa so, so very much. Fisi, Trulli and Heidfeld FTW, please, so that we get a "first win" to some degree (F. India's, Toyota's, or Heidfeld's). Although really, this weekend is perfectly set up for Rubens to hammer a load of points out from Button's lead - if he gets second, and with Button unlikely to score, he'll have it down to 10 points, and...this could be a very, very awesome GP...

Wooo I'm happy to see BMW doing well at last. I love Kubica and want him to get a good finish this weekend, shame Rosberg doesn't look like he'll have the best of races, he has potential superstar written all over him and I hope he gets a seat at Mclaren next season even if I do really like Heikki.

Good to see Force India doing well, even if my original thought seems right looking at the weights and Fisi's running on fumes.

Looking at the weights and speculating it seems Red Bull are going long first stints. Rubens will need help (He's LIGHTER than Fisi). Could be a good day for Jarno or Nicky Heidfeld.

Oh and Sam Nico's going long, he's the heaviest of the top ten by almost 8kg

F1 launches Singapore race probe

Formula 1's governing body has launched an investigation into an unspecified previous race, reported to be last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

The FIA said only that it was said it was investigating "alleged incidents at a previous F1 event".

News agencies have said the race is last year's Singapore race won by Renault's Fernando Alonso following a crash by his team-mate Nelson Piquet.

The incident triggered a safety car which put Alonso into the lead.

Piquet, who attributed the crash to a simple error, was sacked by Renault after the Hungarian Grand Prix last month.

He has since been outspoken in his criticism of Renault team boss Flavio Briatore.

If the FIA discovers evidence of foul play, it would probably call a hearing of its world motorsport council to investigate the matter.

Interesting...what sanctions could Renault face if it's found they cheated to aid Alonso to victory?

Edited by AdamDRFC

Fisi to Ferrari?

Fisichella closes on Ferrari move

Could Raikkonen (top) and Fisichella be team-mates at the next race?

Giancarlo Fisichella is poised to make a temporary switch to Ferrari ahead of next month's Italian Grand Prix.

Confirmation of the Force India driver's move could come on Tuesday, a source close to Ferrari told BBC Sport.

Force India commercial director Ian Phillips told Radio 5 live on Monday that he expected an approach from Ferrari "in the next 24 hours or so".

Fisichella would replace Luca Badoer, who has struggled as a replacement for the injured Felipe Massa.

Badoer, Ferrari's official reserve driver, was drafted in to replace the injured Felipe Massa after legendary seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher was forced to shelve his comeback plans.

Massa is recovering at home in Brazil after suffering a fractured skull in a crash during qualifying at the Hungarian Grand Prix in July.

The 28-year-old is targeting a return at the Brazilian Grand Prix on 18 October, but there is speculation that Massa will not be able to race until at least next season.

Ferrari are believed to have run out of patience with Badoer, who has qualified last at both of his races so far.

While Raikkonen won Sunday's race at Spa, Badoer trailed in last, nearly 48 seconds slower than the driver in front.

The Italian GP is on the 13 September, followed by Grands Prix in Singapore and Japan, before the teams head to Brazil.

Phillips added: "Nobody's asked us yet but I think it's pretty likely that somebody will make a phone call to (Force India team boss) Vijay Mallya over the next 24 hours or so asking if we would release him to Ferrari.

606: DEBATE

Enough is enough. Badoer's had his chance. But now he should step aside

RogerMellie66

"I don't think they have really got any options. Ferrari being Ferrari, it's their home race at Monza, which is a place with a cauldron-like atmosphere, particularly for the Italians - seats will be thrown on the track if Ferrari aren't doing well.

"So they're going to have to put sombody in there who can basically run around with Raikkonen at the front of the field."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said on Sunday: "With regard with what we are going to do for the next races we will tell you in the next three days.

"We are going to take all into consideration. It depends how the medical check-up that Felipe will do tomorrow (goes) and then we will put on the table all the different things. And then we will make a decision."

Fisichella told BBC Sport at the Belgian Grand Prix that it would be a "dream" to drive for Ferrari, but did not confirm that he had been approached.

The 36-year-old Italian's manager, Enrico Zanarini, told BBC Sport on Sunday that Ferrari had not been in contact.

'No Ferrari approach yet' for Fisichella

"Nobody's been in touch," Zanarini said. "We find ourselves in a fantastic team with a great car for Monza because if the car is quick here it will be quick in Monza."

If he does move to Ferrari, Fisichella would drive only as a replacement for Massa - double world champion Fernando Alonso will switch to the team for 2010, although the Spaniard's move has not yet been confirmed.

Fisichella's contract with Force India runs out at the end of the 2009 season.

Force India would likely promote their reserve driver Vitantonio Liuzzi if Fisichella moved on.

Great news for Fisi, I've always liked him and he deserves a chance at a big team (He was always Number 2 at Renault, unfairly I thought). Ferrari will be pleased as well as it gives them a proper driver to partner Kimi. Kimi/Fisi for the win!

Certainly a high-risk/high-reward situation for Fisi. I've read Ferrari actually have an unwritten rule about not having Italians as their main drivers because the tifosi would magnify their fan rage if their countrymen didn't do well.

But him leaving Force India when the team are finally doing well...

I hope Fisi does a great job with Ferrari.

Fisi has signed for Ferrari; Mallya essentially said that Fisi's done more than enough for F. India, and he wasn't going to let him miss the chance of driving a Ferrari at his home GP. I do find it slightly awesome that, right now, Fisi has suddenly become the biggest name in F1 :)

A dream fulfilled for Fisi then, but does this mean he won't drive for Force India again next season, having been released from his contract? Hopefully Sutil can get his first points on the board in Monza, to prove this wasn't a one-off result for Force India, plus he got screwed by Raikkonen inadvertently on two occasions.

Vitantonio Liuzzi is expected to take Fisichella's seat I think, which is probably the best FI can do at such short notice. I'd rather have him in than Piquet anyway.

A dream fulfilled for Fisi then, but does this mean he won't drive for Force India again next season, having been released from his contract? Hopefully Sutil can get his first points on the board in Monza, to prove this wasn't a one-off result for Force India, plus he got screwed by Raikkonen inadvertently on two occasions.

Vitantonio Liuzzi is expected to take Fisichella's seat I think, which is probably the best FI can do at such short notice. I'd rather have him in than Piquet anyway.

His contract was due to expire at the end of this season anyway. So he may end up staying at Ferrari as the number two driver behind Massa or Raikkonnen (although I see Kimi leaving) or he'll be released and sign somewhere else.