Obligatory Bi-Monthly "We Like Covers" Thread

Benji

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Naturally 7 rule, that video where they're on the tube is awesome.

edit:

No instruments!

Apart from that guitar, bass and drum kit >_>

Seriously though, I get that they're beatboxing, because I know who they are.. but someone else might not get that and assume they're playing, which takes away from it a little. Odd choice for the video.

edit: oh, and new favourite YouTube comment from that video...

bremenavron21 (5 days ago)

are they christian?

tom11140 (5 days ago)

no... there black

Maximo Park 'Like I Love You' (Justin Timberlake cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuubK5vXwI4

Not a great cover by any means, but parts of it crack me up.

EDIT: Actually, fuck it, I really like Maximo Park's covers for some reason, here's them doing The Proclaimers '500 Miles (I Wanna Be)'

Not that it counts I guess, but I also really like Ronson and Mark Smith doing 'Apply Some Pressure'

Edited by rvdwannabe

Starting Line's cover "I'm Real" by J-Lo is the pinnacle of pop-punk covers. This coming from someone who didn't particularly like them -

The early days Four Year Strong cover of "Dumpweed" by Blink is epic too, purely for the shouty gang-vocalled "A GIRL I CAN TAME!!!!" bit, oh and synth, everything is better with synth. -

Bowling For Soup's cover of Fergie's "London Bridge" deserves props for turning something ear rape worthy into borderline listenable. -

Also, I randomly found a gorgeous cover of "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" (I do like the Bayside cover, just for the randomness, but I'd prefer full band instead of a straight acoustic copy :shifty:) on youtube the other day -

Ignore the whole "eyes closed singing" and the harmonies are gorgeous. It's a song that's covered so fucking much but wankers on youtube, and it's probably the only one I've heard that's actually good.

And clearly, Brokencyde doing "Low" by Flo-Rida is the most fabulous cover ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV41Wv4Wanc

I'm quite upset I just 'got' Brokencyde/Broke Inside just there. :( It's even more gay, but I loved it better as just a random shit name instead of a shit name with a 'meaning'. :(:shifty:

Bullet For My Valentine - Creeping Death (Metallica) -

Megatron - Firestarter (The Prodigy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWBmpDuyio0 (God DAMN, I can't believe how much the Gene Simmons version sucked!)

(Probably doesn't qualify to be here, but what the fuck (in more ways than one!)) - Def Leppard and Taylor Swift - Pour Some Sugar On Me (Def Leppard) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq2ml87LJ90 (after hearing this, I have one thing to say: Hard Rock needs more fiddle!)

Nickelback - Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top) -

Rob Zombie and Lionel Ritchie w/ Trina - Brick House 2003 (The Commodores) -

(Would be a TON better without Trina)

All-American Rejects - Photograph (Def Leppard) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXqrmkSl3w

This one will make Trent Reznor fans go WTF?!, so I'm not going to say what it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMluuTxOnI

You know what I wish for? A decent cover of Alice Cooper's Poison by a female singer. There was a dance club version (bleech) I heard once and hope I never hear again (I don't know the artist), and I don't care for Tarja's version because her voice is too high.

Edited by GhostMachine

Since everyone else has a cover of it:

But that's a cover that will never be better than the original. Hammerfall have done an entire album of covers, but most of them are 'meh'.

See?

Edit: Holyshitholyshitholyshit

Breaking The Law by... Ensiferum?!

Mother of fuck, it gets even better:

Ensiferum - Battery. Now THAT is a fucking cover. Why have I never heard these before, WFS? It's all your fault.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I hate Bullet's cover of Creeping Death, and I don't mind Bullet. It's just a god-awful cover, vocally anyway, it sounds good in places but he throws his pitch around too much and it just sounds a mess. But on the Metallica theme:

Korn cover One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_yw4h7uy0c

Snoop Dog covers Sad But True:

Staind cover Nothing Else Matters:

Limp Bizkit cover Sanitarium:

Avril Lavigne covers Fuel (well it's better than god awful BFMV cover :shifty: ):

Sum 41 cover Bell Tolls, Sandman and Puppets (can't decide if this is awesome or not, the guitarist does a good job of the Puppets solo):

Nickelback cover Sad But True:

Pantera cover Seek and Destroy (skip about a minute):

Drowning Pool cover Creeping Death:

Dream Theatre cover Master of Puppets (with awful vocals):

Trivium cover Master of Puppets (much better than Dream Theatre):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBX8S01uezA

Then there's your Apocalyptica covers of course, which are excellent music to mellow down to, I find.

As for Metallica covers:

Metallica cover Are you gonna go my way, Smells like teen spirit, seven nation army and Beat it (featuring James Hetfield moonwalking):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgSutRJxIxw

Metallica cover Whiskey in the Jar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKLq1JD3vU

Metallica cover So What:

And, well fuck it, I can't be arsed anymore...

Edit: I didn't even get to all the covers I wanted to post before I got distracted by the Metallica ones.

Edited by Footjob Fever

Okay, I'll give you that BFMV's version of Creeping Death isn't super-uber great (I actually see what you mean about the pitch, after giving it another listen), but...

Avril should have been shot for doing Fuel - her version BLEW! She had no business even being on that tribute show, because she admitted later (hell, I think she even said it during the show) that she's not a Metallica fan. (Those MTV Icons shows featured acts who were fans of or influenced by the artists\bands being celebrated)

Snoop's version of Sad But True, Korn's version of One, and Limp Bizkit's version of Sanitarium are great, though. I remember being impressed by LB when the Icons show originally aired, because I was expecting them to suck.

I wish there were more covers of For Whom The Bell Tolls out there.

Edited by GhostMachine

(ZZ Top Cover)

I am not a Nickleback fan, but I think they pulled this one off pretty well.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who liked it.....

*edit* Contributing a few more:

Incubus - Hungry Like The Wolf (Duran Duran) -

(Fast forward to about the 2:00 mark if you don't want to hear the bongos)

Nightwish - Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth) -

Dope - Rebel Yell (Billy Idol) -

Band From TV (Hugh Laurie and Jesse Spencer from House MD and Greg Grunberg from Heroes are members - Adrian Pasdar from Heroes plays with them some, but I don't think he's officially a member):

The Devil Went Down To Georgia (Charlie Daniels Band) -

(warning: the vocals suck - only watch if you're a House fan, because Jesse Spencer is on the fiddle)

Minnie The Moocher (Cab Calloway) -

If you want to see decent footage of them performing, they played on the Tonight Show, but I have no idea if the song was a cover or an original tune as I've never heard it before. The clip is on Youtube.

Edited by GhostMachine

Okay, I'll give you that BFMV's version of Creeping Death isn't super-uber great (I actually see what you mean about the pitch, after giving it another listen), but...

Avril should have been shot for doing Fuel - her version BLEW! She had no business even being on that tribute show, because she admitted later (hell, I think she even said it during the show) that she's not a Metallica fan. (Those MTV Icons shows featured acts who were fans of or influenced by the artists\bands being celebrated)

Snoop's version of Sad But True, Korn's version of One, and Limp Bizkit's version of Sanitarium are great, though. I remember being impressed by LB when the Icons show originally aired, because I was expecting them to suck.

Didn't realise that about Avril, if she doesn't like Metallica she shouldn't have been doing a tribute, but the cover isn't as bad as what people make out. The only annoying thing about is that she pronounces some words properly and it sounds stupid - it's certainly better than Matt Tuck sound like his voice is breaking whilst he sings Creeping Death.

I agree, I love Snoop Dog's SBT, surprisingly. Korn and LB are good too.

More well known bands need to cover old Metallica songs in general. I'd personally love to see Foo Fighters do a cover of something like Harvester or possibly One (not sure how that'd sound).

Can't believe I forgot this one yesterday either, Black Tide cover Hit The Lights:

I personally think that one sounds better than the original.

Black Tide are pretty awesome at covering people. I quite like their cover of Iron Maiden's Prowler.

Pity their own stuff isn't quite up to scratch yet - but they've got potential. Hell, their drummer plays keyboards simultaneously in some songs. :P

Didn't realise that about Avril, if she doesn't like Metallica she shouldn't have been doing a tribute, but the cover isn't as bad as what people make out. The only annoying thing about is that she pronounces some words properly and it sounds stupid - it's certainly better than Matt Tuck sound like his voice is breaking whilst he sings Creeping Death.

I agree, I love Snoop Dog's SBT, surprisingly. Korn and LB are good too.

More well known bands need to cover old Metallica songs in general. I'd personally love to see Foo Fighters do a cover of something like Harvester or possibly One (not sure how that'd sound).

Can't believe I forgot this one yesterday either, Black Tide cover Hit The Lights:

I personally think that one sounds better than the original.

Agreed about Foo Fighters, but I don't think I'd want to hear them do One. I think a version of Enter Sandman or Unforgiven by them would kick ass, though.

I want some good covers of For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ride The Lightning and Of Wolf And Man, though.

Has Dave Mustaine ever performed Ride The Lightning since he was kicked out of the band, either with Megadeth or someone else? I'd love to hear that, but I'm not sure if he'd do it considering the circumstances.

Killswitch Engage is a band I'd love to see do some covers. I know they've done a cover of Dio's Holy Diver (which was great, but there's no beating Dio himself at singing it), but have they covered anything else?

Seems like a perfect place to 're-bump' the shit out of this;

Covers Playlist! - Tracklist

1). "Joga" by New Found Glory (orig. Bjork)

2). "Deathwish" by MiMi Soya (Auteur remix)

3). "Everybody's Talkin" by Weakling & King (orig. Harry Nilsson)

4). "The Final Countdown" by The Social Services (orig. Europe)

5). "Trenchfoot" by Chuck Ragan (orig. Leatherface)

6). "Cocaine Blues" by The Loved Ones (orig. Johnny Cash)

7). "All My Friends" by The Main Drag (orig. LCD Soundsystem)

8). "The Wires From My Broken Record Player" by Cars And Trains (Electric President remix)

9). "Girls Just Wanna Dance" by Royal Gigalos (orig. Whitney Houston vs. Cyndi Lauper)

10). "Out Of My Head" by Ashlee Simpson (Lions Or Lions remix)

11). "About You Now" by Last Man Down (orig. Sugababes)

12). "Deadbolt" by Portman (orig. Thrice)

13). "Once Upon A Time" by The Gaslight Anthem (orig. Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise)

14). "Dancing Queen" by Frank Turner (orig. Abba)

15). "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by Death Cab For Cutie (orig. The Smiths)

16). "Ceremony" by RickoLus (orig. Joy Division)

17). "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" by Matt Pond PA (orig. Neutral Milk Hotel)

18). "Along The Wall" by Leigh Nash (Styrofoam remix)

19). "Solsbury Hill" by Kyte (orig. Peter Gabriel)

20). "Crazy" by SJ Esau (orig. Gnarls Barkley)

DOWNLOAD

:shifty: There's another one on the way in the coming weeks too.

Edited by YI