NFL 2009

livid

Someone over at DVDVR's forums - one of the admins or mods, I believe - used to have "Totally homo for Tony Romo", or something like that, as their title. (Haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if they still have that or not)

The problem with Romo is that he can't get the job done late in the season or in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if you're a good QB if you can't pull the trigger when it counts the most. And if they do good and he chokes yet again this next season, then he needs to go, where its a trade or a release.

Personally, I wish Dallas could trade owners. :lol:

I think Romo's the 8th best QB in the NFL (I just got done with a debate in my Sports Ethics class about the top 10 QBs in the NFL and that's where I put him). He's clearly not an elite QB, but he should not have "been given up on."

Edited by Evil Chase K

There's nothing wrong with our owner. I think it was Maxx who said that Jerry Jones is a great owner but a crap general manager which without getting into the debate again sums it up well enough.

Yes, Jerry the owner will do whatever it takes to win, but Jerry the GM has no idea what it takes to win.

And Tony Romo has only played 39 regular season games, in those he has 81 TDs and 46 INTs. Those are pretty good numbers for someone with that much experience. He's absolutely a top 10 QB currently (8 sounds about right) He's only played in 2 playoff games, yes he's yet to produce in either but still, its only been 2. He keeps up his production and that'll buy him at least a 2 or 3 more chances at winning a playoff game. If he can't do that, then yeah he's got to go. He'll definitely be around after the season as the Cowboys will, pending a Super Bowl win, have a head coach and Jerry will give him a shot in that system.

There's nothing wrong with our owner. I think it was Maxx who said that Jerry Jones is a great owner but a crap general manager which without getting into the debate again sums it up well enough.

Yes, but aside from him being a bad general manager, he's also an asshole who likes the hog the spotlight. I remember when they had the press conference for "Moose" Johnston's retirement, it might as well have been The Jerry Jones Show.

Any QB whose team has made the postseason 2 of his 2.5 seasons as a starter isn't a bad QB by any stretch. Remember, it took Peyton a long time to win his first Super Bowl and people were on Eli's back for his first 3 seasons and he was commonly called a "failure". Dallas fans and Dallas management should give Romo a few more chances, if he continues to choke in the big situations then I'll start changing my tune. But only having 2 chances in the postseason and a semi-collapse at the end of last season (when the Cowboys also happened to face some very good teams) hardly defines the guy as a failure.

I would definitely put him 7 or 8 in the league's top 10.

Any QB whose team has made the postseason 2 of his 2.5 seasons as a starter isn't a bad QB by any stretch. Remember, it took Peyton a long time to win his first Super Bowl and people were on Eli's back for his first 3 seasons and he was commonly called a "failure". Dallas fans and Dallas management should give Romo a few more chances, if he continues to choke in the big situations then I'll start changing my tune. But only having 2 chances in the postseason and a semi-collapse at the end of last season (when the Cowboys also happened to face some very good teams) hardly defines the guy as a failure.

I would definitely put him 7 or 8 in the league's top 10.

The Cowboys are the NFL's version of the Yankees. Anything less than a championship IS a failure as far as that team is concerned. Like I said earlier the expectation level there is completely different than for most other teams. If Dallas is one and done in the playoffs again I would not be shocked to see Jones make a move.

Problem being, what move could he make? The team is built to be a Super Bowl contender currently, so its not as if they could just trade away Romo and picks to get a high draft pick and take a QB. Its not something I'm against by any means, its just not a move that would make sense. I don't put anything past Jerry Jones, but I'm not sure there's another attainable QB in the league right now that could keep the Cowboys at the same level, or put them at a higher level, than Romo can right now. Would love to hear suggestions on what they could do though.

Problem being, what move could he make? The team is built to be a Super Bowl contender currently, so its not as if they could just trade away Romo and picks to get a high draft pick and take a QB. Its not something I'm against by any means, its just not a move that would make sense. I don't put anything past Jerry Jones, but I'm not sure there's another attainable QB in the league right now that could keep the Cowboys at the same level, or put them at a higher level, than Romo can right now. Would love to hear suggestions on what they could do though.

Brett Favre in '10!~ :shifty:

I don't know what you could possibly do, but 3 straight one and dones would cost someone a job.

I found this on another message board and thought it was a pretty interesting comparison of some of today's best QBs and 3 of the greatest retired QBs from the last 20 years.

I have seen so many QB lists, top 10, top 5, etc, that I think a good dose of reality is in order.

Well, I went and gathered up stats for 10 NFL QBs, 7 are still playing and 3 are retired. These are statistics for the first 5 years of their respective careers. I will list the completions, attempts, yards, TDs, INTs, comp %, yards per attempt, sacks, total record including the playoffs, and winning percentage. Then I will list the names of the ten QBs. Try and guess who did what.

1 1189 1905 14,974 101 69 62.4% 7.86 192 59-22 .728

2 1305 2036 14,899 104 63 64.1% 7.32 97 32-30 .516

3 1168 2158 14,835 85 77 54.1% 6.87 142 50-24-1 .673

4 1276 2284 14,623 98 74 55.9% 6.40 120 46-32 .590

5 1243 2018 13,925 97 52 61.6% 6.90 130 57-14 .803

6 1191 1920 13,627 69 66 62.0% 7.10 139 44-30 .595

7 1207 2117 13,051 87 49 57.0% 6.16 183 48-25 .657

8 1125 1809 12,348 80 53 62.2% 6.83 92 30-29 .508

9 1045 1645 11,979 78 44 63.5% 7.28 94 32-22 .593

10 890 1428 10,697 78 36 62.3% 7.49 77 36-18 .667

A Philip Rivers

B John Elway

C Donovan McNabb

D Joe Montana

E Tom Brady

F Carson Palmer

G Eli Manning

H Ben Roethlisberger

I Drew Brees

J Troy Aikman

So, here are the stats for the first 5 years of these QBs careers and the 10 QBs in question. Who did what?

But you can still get a feel for how good a QB was in his first five years and how he compares to his peers/some legends with that.

Completion %, yards per attempt, wins and winning percentage are to me the important stats and for the most part those are all in the same range.

Completion percentage is a horrible way to compare past QBs to current QBs by. QBs from the 60s and 70s have horrible stats in that regard, because the passing game was more vertical.

You can't really compare stats, it's unfair because of the changes in both rules and offenses.

Oh, and Tony Romo dumped Jessica Simpson, per AOL.

Completion percentage is a horrible way to compare past QBs to current QBs by. QBs from the 60s and 70s have horrible stats in that regard, because the passing game was more vertical.

You can't really compare stats, it's unfair because of the changes in both rules and offenses.

Oh, and Tony Romo dumped Jessica Simpson, per AOL.

Well that's certainly a step in the right direction.