32 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea or bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a subboard for all the Pole Topics?

Well this is the movies subforum. Like I said before...other the first couple of threads...the first couple of pages weren't really active. These threads will go down pretty fast. That's why I have the main thread going as an index. Threads have been up for like half an hour. Lets just see what kind of feedback those threads get. If people don't respond they get drowned out.

Let's keep the movie discussions in the threads for those movies.....leave this for other stuff please.

The thread for The Wrestler says to put no discussion in there and why would I post about my rating in the film thread?

This really needs to be an all inclusive single thread. The first post can be the list of movies and ratings etc or whatever and not every movie needs it's own thread.

That would be impossible to track. This is the movies section is it not?Not counting the threads I started yesterday there are 17 threads that have fewer then 10 responses on the first two pages. It's not like this is bumping active threads off the first page.

And all these new threads will have less than five posts too. Worthy films will have threads no doubt as they have always done.

I am creating threads for movies I assume EWB has seen. You won't see a thread for High School Musical or something to that effect. The threads have been open for like 6 hours......it was the middle of night for a large majority of our members. The not so popular movies will drop off the radar (page 1) pretty fast.

Threads are being created for movies as the come out....normally this will probably be about 2-2 threads a week depending on the movies coming out.....most of the times even less. To go hand in hand with this though...who'd be up for maybe like a "DVD of the Week". A movie obviously not currently in theaters right now. We can take nominations here.....vote on one and then repeat the process next week. If you don't like a certain movie....or the genre....skip it.

So I'll probably put up the ratings that we've received so far up tonight. Just so you know what I'm doing is averaging everything out. So each movie will be rated out of 10. Obviously for a movie to get the full 10 every person that puts in a rating for that movie has to rate it a 10. Anything less and the score would go down. Keep the ratings coming. Obviously it would help the project a lot more if people were giving a brief review in the threads for the movies too but I think that will come as the project takes off....for now the ratings are a good start. I will start updating the rankings for a movie once 10 people have submitted a rating. That number will probably go higher as more and more people begin to vote.

First batch of Ratings.

7 movies made the cut for this initial list. Keep in mind that I will only be posting ratings for movies that have been rated by 10 people. As this project takes off that number will probably go higher then 10. The way I will do this initially is to list the movies followed by the average rating. In parenthesis you will see how many people have rated the movie so far. Over time I will add in the DVD recommendations as well but for now I am just pulling these from the "Rate the movie" portion of the polls. These ratings are out of 10...obviously to score a perfect 10 everyone who rated the movie has to rate it a 10. In case of a tie the movie that has been voted on by more people would be ranked ahead. If they are still tied I will go to whichever movie got a "10" by the most voters.....if that's a tie we go to the "9s" and so on.

I will color code the list as follows:

9-10

7-8

5-6

3-4

0-2

I might change the color scheme later. I will be rounding #s. So a 8.49 and 8.50 will fall into two different color categories.

Updated 3/7/09 1:08 AM

1) The Dark Knight - 8.83 (58)

2) Watchmen - 8.71 (14)

3) The Wrestler - 8.59 (46)

4) Gran Torino - 8.59 (17)

5) Slumdog Millionaire - 8.41 (22)

6) Taken - 8.33 (12)

7) Friday the 13th - 6.00 (15)

Unranked

Frost/Nixon - 8.33 (3)

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li - 7.00 (3)

A History Of Violence

8.5/10

Great great thriller directed by Cronenberg and starring the magnificent Viggo Mortensen who was magnificent. The movie is perfect at creating an idyllic world with dark undertones brewing. Movement between happiness and violent is brutal and the movie is clever enough not just to depend on the violence to flavour the mood.

The "happiness" sex is frankly beautiful. His mrs in the cheerleader outfit, the progression on the bed etc is actually lovely for a sex scene while the violent sex on the stairs is more brutal and angry and hollow emotionally.

Other subtler stuff like Viggo's character not swearing at all in this new life compared to later in the movie. It's really smart.

Also it includes two of the more brutal assaults I've seen played out in such a matter of fact way - namely the repeated palms to the nose ramming it into the guy's head, and the big stomp to the windpipe.

The movie does such a good job of building character that you feel intensely for the family which makes the second part of the film all the more emotionally wrenching.

Oh and Ed Harris is great too.

A History Of Violence

8.5/10

Great great thriller directed by Cronenberg and starring the magnificent Viggo Mortensen who was magnificent. The movie is perfect at creating an idyllic world with dark undertones brewing. Movement between happiness and violent is brutal and the movie is clever enough not just to depend on the violence to flavour the mood.

The "happiness" sex is frankly beautiful. His mrs in the cheerleader outfit, the progression on the bed etc is actually lovely for a sex scene while the violent sex on the stairs is more brutal and angry and hollow emotionally.

Other subtler stuff like Viggo's character not swearing at all in this new life compared to later in the movie. It's really smart.

Also it includes two of the more brutal assaults I've seen played out in such a matter of fact way - namely the repeated palms to the nose ramming it into the guy's head, and the big stomp to the windpipe.

The movie does such a good job of building character that you feel intensely for the family which makes the second part of the film all the more emotionally wrenching.

Oh and Ed Harris is great too.

If you want to give that a nice round # of 8 or 9 I'll throw it in the ratings I'll throw it on the list....and I guess the same would go for any other movie posted from now. Maybe I should start pulling movies from the What did you watch Today thread too....if everyone agreed to rate their movies on a 10 points scale.

Edit: I actually will do that. I'll start going through the "What did you watch today" thread and pull ratings for older movies from there if they are on a 10 point scale and keep a separate ratings list. Once say 25-30 have posted a rating for the movie in that thread I'll create a main thread open for all of EWB to vote on since most of us don't go into that that often. Lets leave this thread for the discussion of the rankings and any other suggestions you may have.

What I was thinking was that I'll release one main list Friday/Saturday and then update them periodically over the course of the week as the results shift. As this project picks up I'll probably go to releasing rankings more often.

Edited by sahyder1

I'm about 134 pages in right now.....and we're already at around 900 movies. Yes....you read that correctly. What I'm planning on doing is if a movie has been rated around 25-30 times in the "What did you Watch today" thread...I'm going to create a thread for that movie and use the ratings generated there as part of our rankings. I'll have a separate list of ratings who don't meet that criteria and thus won't have their own threads. I'm going to try going through the rest of that thread by the end of the week. Once again a reminder that I am only pulling the ratings that were given out on a 10 point scale. Not taking the 5 ones....not taking any of the *s ones. Just ones that were given out on a 10 point scale.

Ok....so I will be creating individual threads for movies that have been mentioned 30 times in the "What did you Watch today" thread Right now I am on page 197....and nothing has hit that magic number yet.

I will be updating the rankings for movies we already have threads for tonight. I will try to have the list from the "What did you watch today" thread pretty soon. Anyone wanna take a guess as to how many movies we'll end up with on that list? Keep in mind I am only adding movies to the list that were graded on a 10 point scale.

• 2 weeks later...

It took a little bit longer then I thought it would but 369 pages and 1717 movies later the list is done. Keep in mind that I pulled movies that were graded on a 10 point scale. Any other rating format....including decimal ratings (i.e 9.1/10) was not included in this list. Movies that I have already created threads for the purpose of this project also did not have their ratings pulled from the thread. I kept it simple. I said I would start threads for movies that had a minimum of 30 reviews in the "What did you watch today" thread...and nothing hit the mark as of yet. Thanks a lot to everyone who's been rating movies in that thread but I would like to request everyone to start rating movies on a 10 point scale and help this project grow. I will be maintaining two lists. One list will be new movies and movies that have had 30 reviews the other list will have all the other movies. The first list will be the official rankings.

When you see the rating score for movies you will notice they are color coded. Here is how the color scheme breaks down:

Movie Ratings

9-10

7-8

4-6

1-3

The number of reviews for a movie are also going to be color coded. That color scheme is as follows:

30 or more Reviews

20-29 Reviews

10-19 Reviews

1-9 Reviews

The big list is attached. I will be updating the other rankings in the near future.

EWB_Goes_to_the_Movies__All_Movies_.htm