Luton Town are off to Wembley

TheArsenal

Luton 1-1 Brighton (aet)

Luton win 4-3 on penalties

Luton gave their fans some joy by booking their place in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final with a dramatic 4-3 penalty shoot-out win over Brighton.

Tom Craddock scored early for Luton after a mix up in the Brighton defence.

Nicky Forster drilled home an equaliser for Brighton, who then had David Livermore sent off for a bad foul.

Luton, rooted to the foot of League Two after being docked 30 points, had keeper Lewis Price to thank as he emerged the hero in the shoot-out.

The on-loan Derby keeper saved from Chris Birchall and Jason Jarrett to see Luton go through to face Scunthorpe in the final at Wembley.

The game could have turned out very different had Nicky Forster scored with the visitors first real effort after 20 minutes.

The striker dragged his shot wide though after he had been played in by Dean Cox.

The result was a fair reflection on Luton's dominance in the second half, thanks largely to the sending off of Livermore.

They were though restricted to long-range efforts and the closest they came to scoring was when Kuipers pushed aside Chris Martin's 20-yard strike in stoppage time.

Anyone coming to Wembley?

Getting back into the football league is possibly one of the hardest tasks there is, I only know this because of the countless teams that fell by the wayside while Carlisle spent about 5 years miraculously escaping on the last day of the season - Jimmy Glass' 95th minute strike included. Teams like Scarborough, Chester, York plus others - Cambridge and Oxford are also teams that haven't got right back up.

I like Luton so I hope they come back up, but I don't think it'll be that easy.

I was at Wembley the last time Luton were there too, against Chelsea in the FA Cup semi final. I was not there last night however, I was back in Bournemouth as I had Uni work, but I caught it on the box and I was jumping around like an idiot.

I can't wait!

Superb atmosphere last night - and really good to see the ground (virtually) full again. Even the boxes were all full. I have already heard about people who normally have nothing to do with the club are trying to get tickets - so at least, if nothing else, Luton should get a good payday.

Yeah, the Conference is notoriously hard to get back out of. Most teams take several years to do it, and otheres fall into oblivion before long (See Scarborough & Halifax, Boston to a lesser extent). It took us five years, and we were nearly relegated in our first year down. It was even harder back then mind, as only top spot went up, and there were no play-offs.

The only reply to this is, we will not be relegated because we are the worst team in the league. Like us or not we were basically down before we kicked a ball. We are much better than our position suggests unlike the other teams you have named who went down for a reason. A feeling of injustice will also push many of the players who are Luton to the core and this will push them hard to get us back to where we belong. I think we will have one of the best squads in the division also, all we need is a better manager to guide the team out of conference.

So basically I beleive we could be a far different propersition to many of the sides who have gone down in the past. We shall see i suppose, but if you don't keep the faith, who will. :D

The only reply to this is, we will not be relegated because we are the worst team in the league. Like us or not we were basically down before we kicked a ball. We are much better than our position suggests unlike the other teams you have named who went down for a reason. A feeling of injustice will also push many of the players who are Luton to the core and this will push them hard to get us back to where we belong. I think we will have one of the best squads in the division also, all we need is a better manager to guide the team out of conference.

So basically I beleive we could be a far different propersition to many of the sides who have gone down in the past. We shall see i suppose, but if you don't keep the faith, who will. :D

Win the game in hand on Tuesday and we're only 10 points off Bournemouth. Relegation isn't a certainty yet. If Luton keep playing like they did today, they can still stay up.

We've knocked out a few League one teams on our way to Wembley so far, as well as in the League Cup. It's fair to say that Scunny are big favourites, don't count us out though.

Yeah, big win yesterday, but we can't forget that Shrews haven't won away since August. However, we have three games in hand on Chester, if we can get 7 points from them, then we might stand a chance. However, it would essentially be a miracle.

But will all of your players actually stay at the club? If they do, you should bounce back no doubt, but it's easier said than done, if these players think they can still get contracts at league clubs they won't want to stay. We got relegated and retained TWO players for the Conference season.