EWB Sports Discussion #5

sahyder1

Here's a topic all sports fans can jump into. As the baseball season comes closer I come to realize that Yankee Stadium is no more as the New York Yankees move into the New Yankee Stadium. Granted that the old Yankee stadium was renovated in the 70s and wasn't truly the original stadium....it still holds historical value. Living in New Jersey I did get the opportunity to attend a game at Yankee Stadium. Every baseball season I tell myself I have to make the trip to Fenway Park in Boston and Wrigley Field in Chicago for a game....hasn't happened yet. I love going to games at Madison Square Garden even though I am not a fan of the local teams because of the history of the building. I'll come back and attach a poll to this thread later on....but for now, list 10 venues you love watching games at....or would love to go. Let's put together a list of EWB's favorite sports venues. Please list the venue along with what teams play there and where it is located. The stadium must currently be active and in use by the team. List 10....and rank them. Bold the stadiums or arenas you have already attended a game at. Lets limit this to actual sports venues. I mean I would put ESPN HQ on this list as I would love to get a job there.

1) Fenway Park - Home of the Boston Red Sox(MLB). Opened: 1912. Capacity: 39,928 (MLB)

2) Wrigley Field - Home of the Chicago Cubs (MLB). Opened: 1914. Capacity: 41,118. I have been to the stadium...just not on a game day. Really old school stadium....it didn't even have lights for night games until 1988 and even to this day hosts most of its games during the day.

3) Air Canada Center - Home of the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and Toronto Raptors(NBA): Big fan of the teams but have never attended a game there.

4) Madison Square Garden

Location: New York City. Opened: 1968 (replacing previous incarnations). Capacity: 19,763. Home of the NY Rangers(NHL) and NY Knicks(NBA) along with many boxing matches . I've be been there for a few Leafs/Rangers games. Love the atmosphere

5) Michigan Stadium - Home of the NCAAF's Michigan Wolverines. Location: Ann Arbor, Mich. Opened: 1927. Capacity: 106,201.

6) Ohio Stadium - Home of the NCAAF's Ohio State Buckeyes. Location: Columbus, Ohio. Opened: 1922. Capacity: 102,329.

7) Cameron Indoor Stadium - Home of NCAABB's Duke Blue Devils. Location: Durham, N.C. Opened: 1940. Capacity: 9,314. Arguably the craziest and loudest indoor sports venue in the world.

8) Dean E. Smith Student Activities Center a.k.a The Dean Dome - Home of the NCAABB's University of North Carolina Tarheels. Opened: 1986 Capacity: 21,750

9) Lord's Cricket Ground - Home to Middlesex in English County cricket and ofcourse the national team. Was also home to the International Cricket Council for a long time. Opened: 1814 Capacity: 29,000

10) Rutgers Stadium - Home of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football team in Piscataway, NJ: Odd choice, yes. But it is my favorite college football team and I have season tickets. Love the atmosphere there. Opened in 1994 and will seat roughly 52,000 after the expansion this summer.

Previous Disccusions:

EWB Sports Discussion #4 - Super Bowl Monday Edition

EWB Sports Discussion #3 - NFL Overtime Edition

EWB Sports Discussion #2 - NFL Playoffs Tweak

EWB Sports Discussion #1 - Steroids and the Hall of Fame

Edited by sahyder1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Don't know why the ACC's on that list, it's not like it has the history MLG did. I'm not sure the ACC would even make *my* top ten list.

And I'm not going to do a list, but major league stadiums I've been to include the ACC, SkyDome/Rogers Centre, Fenway Park, Madison Square Garden, the Verizon Center (that's the one in Washington, right?), Bell Centre (you want to pick a #1 hockey venue, that's the place), and the baseball stadium in San Diego.

Kyle Field - college station, Texas

The Ballpark @ Arlington - arlington, Texas

Reliant Stadium - houston, Texas

Nationals Park - Washington D.C.

Whataburger Field - corpus christi, Texas :shifty:

Pizza Hut Park - frisco, Texas

-----

Camden Yards - baltimore

Doak Campbell Stadium - Tallahassee

Busch Stadium - st louis

Toyota Park - bridgeview

[when built - Red Bull Arena]

I've been to MSG (Knicks, Rangers, WWF/E & *shudders* Liberty), the Meadowlands (NCAA hoops tourney Elite 8 round, Nets & Devils), the Nassau Coliseum (Islanders vs Rangers), Giants Stadium, Shea Stadium & Yankee Stadium.

I can't rank them, but my 10 fit into these categories.

MLB (3) - Fenway, Wrigley and Dodger Stadium for the history of 'em all.

NCAA Basketball (2) - Cameron for the Dukies, and the Carrier Dome so I could see the 'Cuse who are my favorite team in the Big East.

NCAA Football (2) - I would love to watch a game at The Big House/Michigan Stadium, but not while Michigan is the red headed stepchild of the Big Ten. I'd also like to see USC at the Los Angeles Coliseum. I would have had the Orange Bowl on here, but "The U" won't be playing there anymore and they suck now anyway.

Tennis (3) - Arthur Ashe Stadium (US Open) preferably for a night match, Centre Court @ Wimbledon, Rod Laver Arena for the Aussie Open.

On the flip side, Edgar Street in Hereford is the worst 'stadium' I've ever been too. Millenium Stadium in Cardiff is probably my favorite I've been too. Right in the city centre, perfect for a good atmopshere and the sound really travels well. Definately best stadium I've been too. Best club ground that isn't Leeds would probably be City of Manchester, although that was for boxing so I'm not too sure what it'd be like for football. Cheltenham Town have a nice little ground too

#1: Twickenham, home of the England national rugby team. It's just an epic stadium, seats 82,000 and is synonymous with rugby union in England. It's also 100 years old in October. So much awesome has happened there, it's just as iconic to a rugby fan as MSG is to American sports fans.

Also the Cambourne Recreation Ground (current but possibly temporary home of the Cornish Pirates) because it's an awesome 'little' ground, with plenty of atmosphere considering it's essentially a bit of grass with some grandstands erected around it.

If we're counting wrestling, I would've loved to go to the Mid-South Coliseum before it closed.

Only ever been to five: the WACA, Subiaco Oval, The 'Gabba, Docklands and the MCG. Would also love to go to the 'G to see an AFL Grand Final and an Ashes Test on Boxing Day.

Stadiums I'd love to go to: Lord's, Centre Court at the All England Tennis Club, Adelaide Oval, White Hart Lane, The Wanderers, Kensington Oval and Eden Park. Oh and MSG if I ever went to see wrestling in the US.

Edited by Hey Mongrel!

Good:

Nou Camp (Barcelona)

Royal Troon (do Golf courses count?)

Hampden Park (Scotland)

Stadium of Light (Sunderland)

Rugby Park (Kilmarnock - it's a really good quality ground for a smaller team)

Tynecastle (Hearts - purely for atmosphere)

Bad:

Fir Park (Motherwell)

I only included grounds I have been too.

Great Western Forum - SHOWTIME!

Chavez Ravine/Dodger Stadium - My Blue Heaven.

Staples Center - LAKESHOW~!

Rose Bowl - The Grand Daddy of 'em All.

None else need apply. MSG is SO overrated. Mecca my ass. How many titles do the Knicks have? Old Boston Gardens gets some love, though.

You're dead to me :crying: